Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mount & Blade .900 released!

Nedrah

Erudite
Tags: Armagan; Mount & Blade; TaleWorlds

<A HREF="http://www.taleworlds.com/">Taleworlds</a> has updated its critically acclaimed combat simulator with roleplaying elements to <A HREF="http://forums.taleworlds.net/index.php/topic,29341.0.html">version .900!</a>
<br>
<br>
As usual, there is not a detailed changelog. However, main developer Armagan had the following to say:<blockquote>This version adds many new quests, a brand new map, lots of new villages and castles, books, AI improvements, gameplay changes and much more!</blockquote>
<br>
<br>
Definitely sounds like a huge step forward. If you are looking for a stable game experience, history has shown that it is better not to get anything .x00, but instead to wait for a few patches.
<br>
<br>
Note that this is a forum only release, meaning you will not find the update on Taleworlds frontpage.
<br>
<br>
Patch .901 has been released in the meantime, it mostly fixes quest related bugs. Grab it while it's still hot.
<br>
<br>
Thanks Dagorkan

Nael

Arcane
Sweet, thanks for the heads up. I hate those sneaky forum releases :x

crakkie

Arcane
"Wildly popular" would have been incorrect, but yes it's critically acclaimed by almost any critic who's heard of it.

VonVentrue

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Re: Mount & Blade .900 released!

Fantastic news! I'll definitely check it out once I get back from work.

Mayday

Augur
Report please.
Are the enemies still leg-humping you fiercely or do they keep at proper distance during melee?

Nael

Arcane
Mayday said:
Report please.
Are the enemies still leg-humping you fiercely or do they keep at proper distance during melee?

The more difficult opponents are still on you like white on rice, but I had always thought this was intended and not necessarily a flaw. If you just don't like the mechanic I can understand that. The named Arena opponents noticeably get up in my grill but lesser skilled plebs just whiff the air about 5 feet in front of you.

Personally I don't notice the close combat much because the couched lance damage owns ALL.

dagorkan

Arbiter
Horseback sword hacking is what really makes the game: charging straight into a group of 30 enemies, lancing the nearest, then slashing down at the guy on the right and stabbing the guy on the left with enough momentum to knock your way through (because if you don't you're dead).

And yeah foot combat is still pretty close up but there has been one change - enemies will 'ready' their weapon before you get into range (which they never did before, it was all wild swings which gave players a big advantage).

The_Pope

Scholar
I've seen a fair few of them back off and try to keep a good distance, but only in small number fights. Mass battles end up with everyone mashed in pretty close.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
I think the lances have been nerfed a bit, it seems to take longer to ready for a new strike after hitting an opponent. That first hit is still an instant takedown though:)

Balor

Arcane
The_Pope said:
I've seen a fair few of them back off and try to keep a good distance, but only in small number fights. Mass battles end up with everyone mashed in pretty close.
Cause it's realistic, duh!
You cannot do any retarded ninja-stuff like in "300" in real combat.

Nael

Arcane
Balor said:
The_Pope said:
Cause it's realistic, duh!
You cannot do any retarded ninja-stuff like in "300" in real combat.

Apparently you've never been involved in any sieges :P

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
I'd pay lots of good money for a Mount&Blade 300 Edition. Really, I play games to be the hero, not some everyday wank in a dumb suit. Best M&B battles I've had are me vs 20 Dark Knights as I lose my horse, kill a Knight and steal one of theirs, run around swinging my axe until I'm knocked off my horse again, jump behind rocks for a while to avoid the attacks, get a guy in the back, run after and hop onto his horse if I can get it before it reaches the edge of the map and fades out... Good times.

Self-Ejected

Wilco

Self-Ejected
DarkUnderlord said:
Best M&B battles I've had are me vs 20 Dark Knights as I lose my horse, kill a Knight and steal one of theirs...

Does the game even have dark hunters anymore? Last time I played .8xx I only saw massive army stacks, which were quite easy to beat with experienced troops. The great thing about Dark Hunters is that 20 of em could take out 40 or more of your experienced troops before going down. Satisfying indeed to cut them down with only standard recruitable troops at your side and on realistic saves.

Krokar

Scholar
As far as I know they removed them in 0.89X. People were complaining on forums that DH and DK are not realistic or something like that. Shame really, cause I like them. Once I had full army of DK (around 40-50) and there was no army that could defeat me.

Nael

Arcane
DarkUnderlord said:
I'd pay lots of good money for a Mount&Blade 300 Edition. Really, I play games to be the hero, not some everyday wank in a dumb suit. Best M&B battles I've had are me vs 20 Dark Knights as I lose my horse, kill a Knight and steal one of theirs, run around swinging my axe until I'm knocked off my horse again, jump behind rocks for a while to avoid the attacks, get a guy in the back, run after and hop onto his horse if I can get it before it reaches the edge of the map and fades out... Good times.

Here's about as close as you're gonna get: Peloponnesian War Mod

It looks really sweet though. Better looking graphics than the original M&B imho actually.

Thrombone

Educated
I believe they canceled it to, they claim, create a game in the same vein from scratch.

Whoa, rhyming accident.

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again!
REAL MEN FIGHT ONLY ON THEIR FEET!

... and without a shield.

Seriously - get sword-of-war (nice range/speed/damage ratio) or a heavy axe (breaks most shields with one hit) and invest only in agility and strength, wear light armor and no head gear! /LARP

You can have a small (20-27) footmen party and pwn 150+ armies by using tactics and carefully choosing the battlegrounds (mountains, river etc).

Horseback is unbalanced - infantry and slower cavalry is a joke. Using a shield while on horseback is totally lame.
Faster cavalrymen you defeat by going in circles (position your enemies by reducing or increasing the turn angle) and slashing them just with the tip of your sword/axe/whatevah when they're on your 5 (clockwise) or 7 (counter-clockwise).

crakkie

Arcane
Real men play a girl

and solo

and charge, naked and on foot, at King Halaarus' party with a cracked maul

and win.

dagorkan

Arbiter
Real women don't play video games

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom