Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Matt Peckham does it again

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Tags: BioWare

Matt Peckham, whom you may remember as the internet performer who fought hard to be under spotlight with his <A HREF="http://www.rpgcodex.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=15987">half-witted NWN2 review</a> or <A HREF="http://www.rpgcodex.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=18327">asinine concept of Bethesda as an indie</a>, shocks the public again by <A HREF="http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,139724-page,1-c,games/article.html">clobbering</a> Bioware's latest creation, Mass Effect.
<br>
<br>
Conspicuously titled "An Old-School Adventure Masquerading as a Role-Playing Game", the <A HREF="http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,139724-page,1-c,games/article.html">text</a> criticizes virtually everything about the game except character models and gives it a lowly score of 60. Some excerpts:
<br>
<blockquote>
<br>
(...)save for the old "multiple-different-endings" shtick developers have been trotting out like a reward for enduring linear gameplay for decades, choosing different responses in Mass Effect merely unlocks alternative dialogue choices that shape the narrative tone but virtually none of the game mechanics. Play Mass Effect more than once and, while you can unlock tougher difficulty settings that make the abbreviated action sequences more punitive, you'll still have the same story experience, start to finish.
<br>
<br>
(...)This is a problem in Mass Effect, where talky sections unfold like dull, flat sine waves, punctuated by sawtooth-style segments of manic action. On the one hand, the system's been nicely refined to allow more natural pacing by letting you choose a conversational approach before someone else finishes speaking. But it's still like playing the weird descendent of an old choose-your-own-adventure book, with spurts of action inelegantly sandwiched between exhaustive dialogue trees that don't change the game to speak of. Smoothly paced or no, your conversations don't shape your experience in Mass Effect so much as shuffle you along like a weirdly glib FedEx operative.
<br>
</blockquote>
<br>
These seem like legitimate concerns to me. Add (for example) some <A HREF="http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,139724-page,3-c,games/article.html">bizarre bugs</a> and <A HREF="http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,139724-page,9-c,games/article.html">bad AI</a> and the score really seems to be justified. I wonder if someone played a practical joke on Peckham and gave him a different version of the game than the one other <A HREF="http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/833/833640p1.html">happy folks</a> are <A HREF="http://reviews.teamxbox.com/xbox-360/1437/Mass-Effect/p1/">raving</a> about?
<br>
<br>
<em>Note: despite the fact that Mass Effect is, as yet, officially console exclusive, some folks think we should cover it. Give us your opinion in the comments.</em>
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.pcworld.com">PC World</a>

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
doctor_kaz said:
How do you view the text of the review?
Using the arrows in the upper-left corner. 16 paragraphs, 16 screens, 15 required clicks. Weird structure, if you ask me.
It seems like a big troll to me.
Well, it's a break from the rave reviews. Do you think his criticism is misdirected?

Deleted member 7219

I can't trust anything Peckham says, especially not since he wrote such awful reviews of other games in the past.

Herbert West

Arbiter
Elwro said:
Conspicuously titled "An Old-School Adventure Masquerading as a Role-Playing Game", the <A HREF="http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,139724-page,1-c,games/article.html">text</a> criticizes virtually everything about the game except character models and gives it a lowly score of 60.

So models are worth 60% out of 100- he must have really liked blue boobs :P

On the other hand since some hacks are blinded by hype or bought and going short of orgasmic, this review may have a bit of value, since it exposes flaws that will influence the experience.

Cleitanious

Novice
I can't say iv'e read any reviews by this guy before... but to give NWN2 anything less then an 8 makes me :cry:

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
[OT]I'm amazed with the current generation of consoles. In the past, a console meant solid, bug-free games. Now AAA games are filled with bugs, crashes and glitches. I've seen people counting the times Assassin's Creed crashed on them. For playing buggy games I'll keep my PC, thank you.[/OT]

Longshanks

Augur
Well, judging from this and his NWN2 review he seems to be on a bit of a crusade against what he perceives as "old school" RPGs. His major criticism of NWN2 was its use of D&D (which he hates), dice rolls and too much dialogue.

Most of his criticisms in terms of lack of real choices, lack of ability to define a role, could be valid (though I've not played the game), though these could be applied to most recent cRPGs. It seems to me that he's after RPGs more like Oblivion (which he loves), less talk and forced structure, more free-roaming exploration.

Matt Peckham said:
As if the pencil and paper "module" approach were a virtue that computers -- by now demonstrably capable of simulating entire worlds with considerably more depth -- should emulate.

somnium

Scholar
Cleitanious said:
I can't say iv'e read any reviews by this guy before... but to give NWN2 anything less then an 8 makes me :cry:
How sad, could you address any of the criticism instead of whining like a four year old? It seem to me a lot of his criticism is valid (the dialogue system, meaningless choices, the hundreds of planes of with only a few have actual content and the stupid AI).
I agree that a 6 would be to low for nw2 and that a lot of his criticism of nwn2 is stupid, but it would not get much higher then a 7 in my book. Due to the number of fake choices, awful (and forced) companion, the quantity of the horrid combat and the ending.

Although he cast a lot of valid criticism, he might be doing it for the wrong Reasons.
Does anyone know what other review he has written so we can see if he only treats Bioware like this?

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Recommend this story?
Yes124 Votes
No1150 Votes

roffles

doctor_kaz

Scholar
I forgot this is the doofus that had to have his NWN2 review pulled from GFW because it was such an idiotic load of crap. "I DONT LIEK D&D IT HAS 2 MANY ROOLZ. HURRRR"

hicksman

Liturgist
At first i thought this post was a joke, then i remembered this wasn't from VD...

All I can say is, I'm not suprised it got a 60% from someone who was being critical. I was really disappointed with KotOR for a lot of reasons, and i'm sure they wouldnt learn their lessons since everyone else gave it a high score.

As for the editorial question, I'd cover any article bashing mainstream fanboy games with inflated ratings. If that doesn't define the codex, i dont know what does.

obediah

Erudite
hicksman said:
As for the editorial question, I'd cover any article bashing mainstream fanboy games with inflated ratings. If that doesn't define the codex, i dont know what does.

Sad but true. I don't like those articles, but they are easy to spot, and I can skip them.

The real danger is that it makes us a fanboy magnet, which causes lulz and retard spillover into other threads.

I'd much rather bash mainstream articles bashing games we care about. It's even more satisfying and we will pick up far less trash that way.

In general, I'm more interested in coverage of games we care about than bashing games we don't care about. Maybe I'm just further along in the recovery process than others. Than means we would have to take on more of an indie-slant, which I think is fine. We should be interviewing the hell out of any game developer that will talk to us. Maybe that would encourage other codex posters to take a stab at making their own game, and raise the level (if not the volume) of discourse.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
PC World covering a console game. Go figure that it bashes it. Besides, the use of hyperbole is no better than the hyping type reviews. And, other more reasonable reviews (ones that gave the game 80%) actually shared examples of exisiting C&C. *shrug*

Dgaider

Liturgist
Developer
I find it interesting that you'll forego the "we don't cover Mass Effect because it's a console-only game" when it involves a review that's being as critical as you seem to believe it should be.

For folks who so commonly complain (and probably deservedly so) about reviews where the reviewers seem to have gone in determined to like the game and give it high marks no matter what it seems like it would be the height of hypocrisy not to recognize when a reviewer is doing the same in reverse.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Dgaider said:
For folks who so commonly complain (and probably deservedly so) about reviews where the reviewers seem to have gone in determined to like the game and give it high marks no matter what it seems like it would be the height of hypocrisy not to recognize when a reviewer is doing the same in reverse.

Yes, plus I think it's determined fact that Matt Peckham is an idiot. I don't like dismissing people on such flaky premises, but this guy has proven time and again that he does not even grasp the basics of RPG concepts. And I'm not just saying that because of his attempt to slander me after NMA's Fallout 3 preview.

Hell, the guy can't even do enough research to spell Ken Rolston's name right, consistently spelling it Ralston (even typoing it as Ralson in an earlier article).

But I think everyone here recognises he's not someone to take seriously, Monsieur Gaider. Except possible those of us who simply don't know him.

Bluebottle

Erudite
Patron
Dead State Wasteland 2
Dgaider said:
I find it interesting that you'll forego the "we don't cover Mass Effect because it's a console-only game" when it involves a review that's being as critical as you seem to believe it should be.

To be fair there is an ongoing discussion here as to whether the console news embargo should be over-turned (somewhat sparked by ME). It seems like this newpost would be a testing of the water.

Kingston

Arcane
I lack the wit to put something hilarious here
Peckham's writing usually consists of putting big words together in a line. Its funny to see him try and fit the words "Halo 3" as much as possible into the review. His embitterment against everything stems from his middle-age crisis after he found out he was 40 and still only writing bits and pieces for an internet site. That's my quick analyzation.

BN, his whole "you meddling kids!" act was so cute to watch.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Dgaider said:
I agree. We... well, the Codex either covers Mass Effect and that means reporting everything or it doesn't. Taking the middle ground and reporting only the negatives is a bit hypocritical.

Besides, Matt is a known moron and his opinion aint worth shit.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
That's not to say that some of his negatives mentioned aren't reasonable as they have also been brought up in other reviews. Poor inventory, bugs, non main story planets not having the depth to them as main story planets, and combat isn't 'shootery' enough (combat depends too much on character stats and skills) are all complaints that have made the rounds even in some rveiews that are obviously all praise all the time.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Haven't got it yet. Either today, or tomorrow. Delivery service is being lame... I got the Guide though. Avoiding spoilers and just reading up on classes, and other silly non major spoiler junk right now.

For being so called light on RPG stats, and skills; there sure is a lot of numbers crunching with plenty of charts, and other crap. L0L

And, for supposeldy having no items, there sure is a lot of equipment lists as well (which I skimmed past since I wnat no spoilers for super loot found later in game).

Come on, delivery service, hurry up!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom