Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News The Poles are watching us

Monolith

Prophet
Tags: CD Projekt; Witcher, The

<a href=http://www.cdprojekt.com/>CD Projekt</a> has put <a href=http://www.thewitcher.com/community/en/news/256.html>quotes</a> of members of the Codex and other RPG boards who were positive about The Witcher proudly on display.
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>"The game is looking great so far. I think we have a winner here. Defenitely worthy of an extensive review by the RPGCodex." (Gwendo/RPG Codex)
<br>
<br>
"Just finished it and I must say that I feel this is one of those truly enjoyable RPGs I'll be replaying once a year together with Fallout and a few others. The story and the choices held up great, all the way to the end." (Vrok/RPG Codex)
<br>
<br>
"It's hard to know what to say except for The Witcher its greater than the sum of its parts maybe. Very well rounded RPG. Imo this is looking like game of the year personally, and definately the best RPG experience I've had for ages" (Solaris/RPG Codex)
<br>
<br>
"If anybody is still undecided, just BUY THE DAMN GAME ALREADY. Don't bloody warez it either. This is the best RPG since Troika left us." (Oarfish/RPG Codex)
<br>
<br>
"OMG! Could it be the second "game so good even the Codex likes it" in a row?" (Elwro/RPG Codex)
<br>
<br>
"This game has some of the best RPG game mechanics I've seen since Fallout and UW1, and if you get the chance to check it out I think you will like it." (Darkflame/RPG Codex)
<br>
<br>
"I LOVE this game. I'm having more fun with it than MOTB, which I also really enjoyed. I think the closest comparison is to Gothic I, but I like it a hell of a lot better." (Cardtrick/RPG Codex)
<br>
<br>
"Overall it's one of the most fun to play games I've seen in ages. It has me absolutely hooked, and it's big. After two weeks (and one restart) I'm only at the start of chapter 3." (Trash/RPG Codex)</blockquote>I'm just so glad none of you used l33t speak. :salute:
<br>
<br>
Spotted at: <a href=http://www.rpgwatch.com>RPG Watch</a> (again)

Deleted member 7219

Can it be the Codex has actually made friends with a developer?

Suicidal

Arcane
Very positive reactions, I see. It would be a lie if I said those quotes didn't add to my excitement about the game.

I guess, I'll have to pick it up as soon as I find it on sale somewhere, but recently released games are kind of difficult to find when you live in a country that is still busy discovering fire and finding good uses for the wheel.

pkt-zer0

Scholar
And the question on everyone's mind is: would the devs include comments that weren't overwhelmingly positive, too? Or would those not make front page for various unfortunate reasons much like what happened to, say, NMA's Fallout 3 preview?

[/devil's advocate]

Nedrah

Erudite
Now let's all hope our new friends have been staying the fuck away from our site in the last few days. Might have looked a bit messy here and there :lol:

pkt-zer0 said:
And the question on everyone's mind is: would the devs include comments that weren't overwhelmingly positive, too? Or would those not make front page for various unfortunate reasons much like what happened to, say, NMA's Fallout 3 preview?

[/devil's advocate]

Now let's not be needlesly antagonistic here. I wouldn't expect them or anyone else to post negative or even mixed feedback on their game there. It's their game, they naturally believe it's a cool piece of software - and from what I could gather so far by hearsay (damn you 1gig of Ram, DAAAAMN YOOOOU!!!), they are actually right.

vrok

Liturgist
Motherfucker, I can't read. (ninjaedit: how the fuck could I not see that? I read it here, on their site and on rpgwatch)

Seriously, I've no idea what this is all about, but hey! The Codex got mentioned again!

Suicidal, I just have to congratulate you for having the best signature I've ever seen.

Deleted member 7219

Nedrah said:
Now let's all hope our new friends have been staying the fuck away from our site in the last few days. Might have looked a bit messy here and there :lol:

Monolith

Prophet
vrok said:
Motherfucker, I wasn't mentioned!

vrok said:
Just finished it and I must say that I feel this is one of those truly enjoyable RPGs I'll be replaying once a year together with Fallout and a few others.
I made this statement just for you! :(

Seriously, I've no idea what this is all about, but hey! The Codex got mentioned again!
Wut? You were quote right after Gwendo. Anyway, the point of that news post is showing that CD Projekt cares - even if they are using it for their advantage. They are putting forum members' opinions up there with review scores and that's unusual. They are listening and that's always a good thing. Now, being at the Codex I guess it's just natural to put the emphasis on the fact that they quoted our members.

vrok

Liturgist
Monolith said:
Wut? You were quote right after Gwendo.
I sincerely apologize and refer you to my tag. In my defense, at least I was aware of my quote qualifying. :(

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Matt7895 said:

The Witcher seems to prefer the niche RPG sites (Codex, Watch, Game Banshee) over the big baddies.

A matter of good taste, I guess.

Balor

Arcane
Well, Witcher is indeed very good. I do second 'long loading times' complaint - and it's complicated by a lot of 'running around'. I wish they'd kept 'main level' in memory each time I enter one of the smaller houses - after all, I'm bound to return, right? And waiting for the big level to load can take up to half a minute.
But otherwise - great stuff. They may not have PST(MOTB, KOTORII)-like dialogues, but they are certainly going in the right direction.

Oarfish

Prophet
Agree with the house thing, even the larger locations like the inn could keep the main level resident. It really discourages exploration. Its not like the game plays well with less than 2GB anyway.

Gwendo

Augur
Brother None said:
Matt7895 said:

The Witcher seems to prefer the niche RPG sites (Codex, Watch, Game Banshee) over the big baddies.

A matter of good taste, I guess.

CDProject, knowing that they have an unfair handicap agains't the few giants in the videogame industry, focused on a niche game genre: RPG. The Codex can be criticized for many things, but no one questions our knowledge about RPGs, and how demanding and hard to please we are. It is really flattering to develop a game that reunites consensus in this place.

Edit: BTW, after defragging my HD, the loading are much faster (3 - 8 seconds). There's cacheing, as I've noticed that any area previously loaded loads faster after. Yet, there's room for improvement.

(Hey! 1st quote!)

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
"Overall it's one of the most fun to play games I've seen in ages. It has me absolutely hooked, and it's big. After two weeks (and one restart) I'm only at the start of chapter 3." (Trash/RPG Codex)

How nice, I'm being used as a marketing ploy.

Marsal

Arcane
Oarfish said:
Agree with the house thing, even the larger locations like the inn could keep the main level resident. It really discourages exploration. Its not like the game plays well with less than 2GB anyway.
You'd be surprised :) It's good for your education, too. 10 minutes of playing, 3 minutes of studying, while waiting for it to finish loading.

Hory

Erudite
Marsal said:
Oarfish said:
You'd be surprised :) It's good for your education, too. 10 minutes of playing, 3 minutes of studying, while waiting for it to finish loading.
God, it's like "Vampire Bloodlines on 512MB" again, when I used to read during level loading. I counted the loading time for hub areas, and it lasted at least 3 minutes. Witcher isn't that bad but I think I'll have to get another GB of RAM to enjoy it.
Trash said:
How nice, I'm being used as a marketing ploy.
Quotes are a failure of the free market.

yarpen

Novice
Brother None said:
Matt7895 said:

It's not a matter of big baddies vs niche sites (I personally have much respect for GS for example, they dont give 10s to everything)... We probably should treat everyone the same, but sometimes it's hard. I mean, you cant help, but notice the huge difference when reading for example detailed Dhruin's *preview* and comparing to a one-page review from some other site, when the author complains mainly he cant jump or play black female.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
yarpen said:
It's not a matter of big baddies vs niche sites (I personally have much respect for GS for example, they dont give 10s to everything)... We probably should treat everyone the same, but sometimes it's hard. I mean, you cant help, but notice the huge difference when reading for example detailed Dhruin's *preview* and comparing to a one-page review from some other site, when the author complains mainly he cant jump or play black female.

Hey, don't forget our preview on GameBanshee, that one was pretty good too :P

But I think I get what you're saying. You're seeking equally spirited individuals who understand what you were trying to accomplish. And that's only admirable.

made

Arcane
Considering loading times, I believe they are working on an improvement for the upcoming patch. Personlly, I don't mind all that much as I grew up on juggling 11 disks with 1 drive games so my tolerance is rather high, but it does indeed discourage re-visiting areas and backtracking a bit.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
yarpen said:
Brother None said:
Matt7895 said:

:lol: made my day

Paranoid Jack

Scholar
Besides the recent release of MotB there hasn't been a RPG of this caliber for too many years.

Yes, the load times are a bit long but what makes it worse is the auto save tacked on when ever you transition after a quest flag is triggered.

Even so The Witcher is one of the best cRPGs I have ever played. A great balance of quest dialog, exploration, alchemy, and combat. And since this is just their first attempt think about the good things to come.

I have skipped the purchasing of two games, put MotB on hold, and most likely will delay the purchase of Mass Effect... because The Witcher is just that much fun. Sure it can get a bit dry but usually not for long. Besides there are so many quests and areas to visit there is always something to do.

Oh, yeah! Thanks for making a game that is adult oriented. It's fantastic.

VonVentrue

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
yarpen said:
We probably should treat everyone the same, but sometimes it's hard. I mean, you cant help, but notice the huge difference when reading for example detailed Dhruin's *preview* and comparing to a one-page review from some other site, when the author complains mainly he cant jump or play black female.

Now that's the kind of attitude I expect from a game developer.
:salute:

Hümmelgümpf

Arbiter
yarpen said:
It's not a matter of big baddies vs niche sites (I personally have much respect for GS for example, they dont give 10s to everything)... We probably should treat everyone the same, but sometimes it's hard. I mean, you cant help, but notice the huge difference when reading for example detailed Dhruin's *preview* and comparing to a one-page review from some other site, when the author complains mainly he cant jump or play black lesbian female.
Fixed.

Crolug

Liturgist
yarpen said:

Amen Yarpen, amen!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom