Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview CD Projekt's in-house interview with co-founder Michał Kiciński

Monolith

Prophet
Tags: CD Projekt; Witcher, The

Very interesting and definitely a <a href=http://www.thewitcher.com/community/en/articles_and_interviews/171.html>must read</a>. He's not only mostly humble and honest, he also mentions the Codex:
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>The high scores given by gamers are the best reward for us. I think that everyone on the RED team is delighted when they reads gamers’ reviews and their opinions about the game on discussion boards. This is really something to be proud of. Even on RPGCodex discussion boards, <strong>which may be regarded as the most critical site of all RPG websites</strong>, the game receives highly favourable opinions, despite the fact that before the release date the site wasn’t afraid to be a bit critical.:)</blockquote>
<br>
<br>
Unfortunately, one question and the corresponding answer have been lost in translation. Here is it in Polish:
<br>
<blockquote>Q: Patrz&#261;c na ju&#380; opublikowane recenzje, wida&#263; te&#380; kilka sporo poni&#380;ej 80%, ju&#380; nie tak optymistycznych. Czyta&#322;e&#347; je? Co o nich s&#261;dzisz?
<br>
<br>
A: Nie mnie ocenia&#263; dziennikarzy. Cho&#263; my&#347;l&#281;, &#380;e warto pokusi&#263; si&#281; o ma&#322;y komentarz, nawet z nara&#380;eniem si&#281; u niektórych przedstawicieli czwartej w&#322;adzy. ;)
<br>
<br>
Có&#380;, ró&#380;ne mog&#261; by&#263; powody tych niskich ocen. Na pewno zdarzaj&#261; si&#281; recenzje pisane niezbyt rzetelnie, po zbyt krótkim obcowaniu z gr&#261;. Powiedzia&#322;bym, &#380;e jest to zwyk&#322;y brak profesjonalizmu i na szcz&#281;&#347;cie czytelnikom udaje si&#281; to wy&#322;apa&#263;. Co wi&#261;&#380;e si&#281; cz&#281;sto z ci&#281;&#380;k&#261; krytyk&#261; autora w komentarzach. Dla nas autorów gry takie przypadki s&#261; szczególnie przykre. Zrobienie gry jest potwornie skomplikowane i zabiera wiele lat ci&#281;&#380;kiej pracy. Wymaga si&#281; od nas bardzo profesjonalnego efektu ko&#324;cowego. Wydaje nam si&#281; wi&#281;c, &#380;e od osoby recenzuj&#261;cej, która ma jednak troch&#281; ;) prostsze zadanie ni&#380; zrobienie gry, te&#380; powinni&#347;my wymaga&#263; pewnego poziomu profesjonalizmu i zaanga&#380;owania z swoje zadanie.</blockquote>
<br>
<br>
And here's my attempt to freely translate it:
<br>
<blockquote>Q: When you're looking at all the reviews, you can find some with a score lower than 80% - no longer that positive. Did you read them? What do you think of them?
<br>

<br>
A: Who am I to judge journalists? However, I should dare to comment on it, even if that means endangering good relations with some representatives of the fourth branch of government.
<br>
<br>
Well, there may be many reasons for the low scores. Surely there are reviewers who didn't work thoroughly and wrote the reviews after playing the game only for a short time. I'd say that usually lack of professionalism can be held liable for that and fortunately the readers can see through this - which is shown by the many comments criticizing those reviews. For us game developers such incidents are particularly sad. Making games is unbelievably complicated and takes many years full of hard work. The final result is required to be very professional. In consequence, we think that reviewers should be required to be professional and dedicated as well, considering that they have a slightly easier job to do.</blockquote>Hear, hear!
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>The Witcher is our debut. I promise that we won’t rest on our laurels. I believe that The Witcher is just the beginning of CD Projekt making the highest quality games — <strong>games with soul and made with passion, games which are not only the result of market analysis and large marketing budgets.</strong> :)</blockquote>I'm looking forward to seeing more from these guys.
<br>
<br>
Spotted at: <a href=http://www.gamebanshee.com>Gamebanshee</a>
<br>

Deleted member 7219

Nice to see he mentioned the Codex. It's an honour to think there are still some developers out there that read what we write here. I know dgaider still lurks around too.... hopefully we'll hear more from him about DA soon.

I loved what he said about reviews and professionalism. I just can't see Todd or Pete saying that since they pretty much have the so-called 'professionals' by the scruff of the neck. Nice to see one of the underdogs speaking honestly.

I agree with your sentiment at the end of that post. I am definitely looking forward to more from CDProjekt. The Witcher is a superb game and I would love to see a sequel in the near future.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I'll be ordering the Witcher this weekend most probably, so stay tuned for an official Codex review of the game.

Deleted member 7219

JarlFrank said:
I'll be ordering the Witcher this weekend most probably, so stay tuned for an official Codex review of the game.

Excellent. I was going to write one myself but I think the powers that be are still considering my request for news/review privileges.

TheLostOne

Savant
It's really good to hear a dev say some of this shit and to be genuinely thankful to their fans and praise instead of just soaking it up and saying, "Yeah well we're that good."

I hope this is read by the people who've been bitching about how the codex is just a bunch of dried up bitter fucks who'll never be satisfied with anything, so why try to listen to what they have to say.

That's such a fucking copout.

People like Pete and Todd who are so fucking self righteous and dismissive of anyone who thinks differently really need to learn a fucking lesson in humility.

vrok

Liturgist
That'd be a nice review gimmick. A Codex stamp of approval. No rating or anything, just yes or no.

MasPingon

Arcane
JarlFrank said:

Official?? I am waiting for VD official review

denizsi

Arcane
That'd be a nice review gimmick. A Codex stamp of approval. No rating or anything, just yes or no.

No, it wouldn't. It's stupid.

Don't behave in favour of the mythical and retarded concept of a hivemind. Any review well-written and solid by a Codex regular is an official Codex review. Just as it's meaningless to throw numbers on a scale to rate a game, it's as meaningless to take one single review as the official one. More the variation, the better.

vrok

Liturgist
Mask of the Betrayer - so good even RPG Codex likes it!
Even on RPGCodex discussion boards, which may be regarded as the most critical site of all RPG websites, the game receives highly favourable opinions
A hivemind stamp of approval already exists. The only difference is you have to sift through 34 pages for it.

The rest of your post is meaningless since that's the way it's been done a long time. VD is the only one that usually bothers though.

denizsi

Arcane
Ask him what?

Speaking of it, tell me what's the approval stamp of these games, "teh hivemind consensus", motherfucker:

Daggerfall
Darklands
Gothic (any of them)
Morrowind

(games randomly selected off the top of my head)

Either come with unobjectionally agreed views on Codex, or get the fuck out!

edit2: Thinking again, don't bother. One only needs to look at the latest reviews including that of MOTB and see the variety in opinions, which clearly confirms how retarded the notion you have is. One man's heaven is another's hell and same with the views here. The foremost thing that probably sets Codex reviews apart is that they tell you "hell is hot and full of lava" and "there are virgins in heaven". Not "Virgins are ugly as shit, I'd better rot in hell".

MasPingon

Arcane
Jeff Graw said:
which will probably never come.

So the fucktards won and VD is definitely out of the codex?I thought he just isn't mod any more

Unfortunately, one question and the corresponding answer have been lost in translation. Here is it in Polish:

Ups, I think they didn't translate it for a reason. If some stupidos from gamesdaily/eurogamer/1up read it they won't spend even hour playing CDP's next game(as they done playing Witcher)

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
MasPingon said:
Jeff Graw said:
which will probably never come.

So the fucktards won and VD is definitely out of the codex?I thought he just isn't mod any more

Not really, he still will post occasionally, but he won't be an admin for some time and not make newsposts either. He would return whenever he feels like doing so, though.

Monolith

Prophet
MasPingon said:
Ups, I think they didn't translate it for a reason. If some stupidos from gamesdaily/eurogamer/1up read it they won't spend even hour playing CDP's next game(as they done playing Witcher)
That's why we have to keep it a secret.

dragonfk

Erudite
JarlFrank said:

Tuning in progress...

As for the VD review I dont see a reason that The Witcher couldnt be reviewed by two members of the Codex.

vrok

Liturgist
denizsi said:
Ask him what?

Speaking of it, tell me what's the approval stamp of these games, "teh hivemind consensus", motherfucker:

Daggerfall
Darklands
Gothic (any of them)
Morrowind

(games randomly selected off the top of my head)

Either come with unobjectionally agreed views on Codex, or get the fuck out!
Are you really this stupid? Stop derailing newsposts, dumbfuck. And use the search function.

No one says that everyone has to agree with a review on the Codex just because they're registered here. People disagree with VD's MotB review saying it's too positive, yet still the quote says "RPG Codex" not VD. Think about that. Your interpretation of the hivemind is juvenile at best.

Do you really feel you accomplished something worthwile by derailing this newspost?

MasPingon

Arcane
Monolith said:
MasPingon said:
That's why we have to keep it a secret.

Thank god you realize the gravity of the situation

pkt-zer0

Scholar
JarlFrank said:
He would return whenever he feels like doing so, though.
He'll surely be back by the time AoD's released, so... next Thursday, is it?

On-topic, as I've said before: I like the guy's down-to-earth attitude. Makes for much more pleasant reading than "whoa we're so totally awesome it's incredible". The comment on unprofessional reviewers reminds me of the GameBanshee interview with Kevin Saunders - I figure his response should've been similar, heck, it's probably more warranted in the case of MotB than with the Witcher.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom