Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review The Witcher review at GameSpot

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Tags: CD Projekt; Witcher, The

<a href=http://www.gamespot.com>GameSpot</a> has posted a <a href=http://au.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/thewitcher/review.html?om_act=convert&om_clk=gssummary&tag=summary;review>review</a> of <a href=http://www.thewitcher.com/>The Witcher</a>, giving the game 8.5 and praising pretty much everything but the dialogues and voice acting.
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>Memorable story, immersive combat, fascinating characters--what's not to like? A few fit-and-finish issues mean that The Witcher isn't quite an all-time classic RPG. Regardless, it's awfully, awfully close, warts and all, and it provides a new benchmark for future developers that are looking to lift their games out of the done-to-death elf-and-orc ghetto.</blockquote>:salute:
<br>
<br>

Deleted member 7219

Should have got a 9.0, but I guess they reserve that kind of rating for Oblivion and first person shooters.

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Wow. That seems to fit the overall Codex's opinion (at least from what I read) nicely.

doctor_kaz

Scholar
The text of the review basically makes it sound better than Halo 3.

"This game has excellent role-playing, beautiful graphics, tons of dialog, choices with consequence, a huge fully realized world, and a fun innovative combat system. It has essentially everything that you could possibly hope for. 8.5"

Meanwhile...

"Halo 3 has bad friendly AI, the single player is short and not as good as we had hoped and the multiplayer feels kind of familiar. 9.5!11!!! Teh RoXX0rs!"

Also, isn't the guy wrong when he says that the flaming arrow doesn't show up on medium difficulty? I'm playing on Medium right now and it shows up -- no problem.

VonVentrue

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
OldSkoolKamikaze said:
Wow. That seems to fit the overall Codex's opinion (at least from what I read) nicely.

Amusing, isn't it?

I'm looking forward to purchasing TWitcher as soon as I find the time at long last...

CrimsonAngel

Prophet
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
You have to take into account that Microsoft gave a 5000$ worth of "Non binding gifts" to most big sites.

So that HALO got 10 is no big deal it was bought.

Oarfish

Prophet
Yeah, you can get the location arrow on all difficulties, just need to set it in the quest journal.

dragonfk

Erudite
From what I know the location arrow will only work if you've heard from NPC that you can find someone you look for in specific place. And it as well may be that that person is not in the place because she went ot the market. So its not a Oblivion style location arrow.

Marsal

Arcane
The "quest arrow" is well done. It can help you find things, but if you're looking for a person, it will point you to the usual location of said NPC (they move all the time). You can put your own markers on the map and turn guidance for a specific point. It's really just a gps system, not Oblivion-style quest spoiler (and it can be turned on/off, but there is no need to do it).

made

Arcane
Vault Dweller said:
dialogues and voice acting.

There's definitely no modern language like "babe" and f-bombs (k-bombs in Polish, I guess) in the Polish version; everything seems very fitting an in-character. It appears the translation is to blame for the game's only shortcomings. A shame, really.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom