Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review The Witcher review at CRPG.ru

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Tags: CD Projekt; Witcher, The

<a href=http://www.crpg.ru>CRPG.ru</a>'s comrade Stark has informed me that a Russian <a href=http://www.crpg.ru/sections.php?op=viewarticle&artid=2231>review</a> of <a href=http://www.thewitcher.com/>The Witcher</a> is now available. He was nice enough to give us the closing comments in English:
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>Despite all the technical and the "omg, it's loading again" issues The Witcher is an awesome and in many aspects a fresh gaming experience. A thrilling story is complemented with a fascinating combat system that doesn't turn boring throughout the game and remains challenging till the very end. Mature world background and the necessity to make real moral choices without all that candy-fantasy stuff is simply refreshing. We have great characters an extremely charismatic main hero and a captivating storyline here. What else can one desire? Nice graphics? Visuals definitely please one's eyes. Great soundtrack? Here you have it, Adam Skorupa and Pawej Blaszczak created a real masterpiece, the music is simply awesome. October 2007 is sure a blessed by the RPG "god" time. It's amusing how a regularly "buried" genre can revive within two projects in a month. First, the Mask of Betrayer, than the Witcher. We just hope that the positive trend continues.</blockquote>They gave the game 9.1, so I think they liked it.
<br>

Marsal

Arcane
skyway said:
Still I like how crpg.ru counts stalker as an rpg.
I too think it is RPG-lite. It has just enough RPG in it, not to fuck the FPS(main) part up. Were the dialogs and quests only a bit better... Maybe in the expansion? STALKER defines immersion(dirty!) for me. It's still much better than that short, linear, scripted HL2 Episode XY crap everyone likes.

As for Witcher, how long is this game?! Playing almost 20 hours, I'm just beggining Act 2. Great stuff (or maybe it has something to do with loading times? ;)).

cardtrick

Arbiter
I'd like to read that whole review, it seems quite reasonable based on that last paragraph. Too bad I don't read Russian . . .

Andrej

Liturgist
The witcher is really fucking long. I've been playing it for the whole week so far, not doing anything else and I just got to act 4.

VonVentrue

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Andrej said:
The witcher is really fucking long. I've been playing it for the whole week so far, not doing anything else and I just got to act 4.

Sounds great to me.

VonVentrue said:
Andrej said:

Sounds great to me.
Half the 'play time' is loading screens, and more loading screens, and yet more loading screens… for me the mere sight of a doorway inspires more terror than an uber boss monster. While I wouldn’t say the game is epic, the length is satisfying and the content is of consistently high quality.

MasPingon

Arcane
Maybe not a half but from my 70 hours of gameplay, about 10-15 hours it was loading time(so it's fuckin unbelivable). Loads are quicker now with 1.1 patch tho

Smeciak

Novice
Well. If only 2 flaws in game made by team which didn't make any RPG earlier are too long loading and bad inventory system than I just can't wait for their next game.

Besides I'm not sure did anyone noticed journal. In my personal opinion it is best journal ever in cRPG.

I think thic game is one of these games that is close to idea of RPG more than to computer game. World is real, just like in the books.Characters are real, problems are real and most of choices are of lesser evil.

Little offtopic: there is a paper RPG "Wiedzmin" in Poland, but it's not very good unfortunately. In short time there will be second edition and as a beta-tester of it I must say it's really great. Something like epic PCs in dark fantasy world. Mechanics allowing you to win 1 on 1 with really strong enemies but that makes you almost powerless against 20 weak ones. So if there is a real RPG in Witcher world maybe in the future CD Project could create RPG with character creation and modding. I would buy it for sure.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom