Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview The Witcher preview, part 2

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Tags: CD Projekt; Witcher, The

Here is the <a href=http://www.rpgwatch.com/show/article?articleid=66&ref=0&id=66>second part</a> of The Witcher preview at <a href=http://www.rpgwatch.com>RPG Watch</a>:
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>Let’s say we’ve decided to improve Geralt’s Fast attack when using steel swords. Placing a bronze talent in the Level 1 “trunk” for this trait provides a two-blow opening attack sequence with particular damage, attack, parry scores and so on. Spending a talent on Level 2 adds a follow up 4-blow sequence with even better stats. Looking down the Level 1 “branch”, we decide to choose the Paralysis 1 skill – this modifies the Level 1 attack to add a percentage paralysis chance; we’ll need to spend a talent on Paralysis 2 if we want to get the same bonus from the four-blow level 2 attack that can follow the opening sequence.
<br>
<br>
We’ve really enjoyed the time we’ve spent with The Witcher so far. The world is rich, layered and convincing and the story and quests have been appealing. The centrepiece of the design – the choices with consequences that become evident as the game progresses is very promising and we hope the obvious potential is fulfilled over the course of the entire game. It’s different – some players may feel uncomfortable that they can’t easily tell where a choice is going - but it’s nice to see a developer try to push the genre boundaries just a little. The combat is much better than we expected, although we suspect some players would still prefer a direct action system like Gothic or Oblivion. On the other hand, while CD Projekt has obviously worked hard creating a character development system that stays true to Sapkowski’s vision - yet still offering lots of skills to customise the character - the focus is very, very narrow.</blockquote>Great preview, Dhruin.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
got worried a little when i learned that you're gonna play as geralt, but that sounds as if they pretty much nailed it.

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
The Witcher uses a tree-like skill system for each of these traits – CD Projekt describes it as a “trunk” and “branches” (bear with us – it will make sense).
I assume this is a sign of how dumb RPGWatch believes the average reader to be, if they think this obvious metaphor will mystify him.

What pains me is to be reminded of the original promises for Gothic 3's character development system, which sounded alot like what the Witcher is doing. The (lack of) development of the combat styles was particularly disappointing.

Dhruin

Liturgist
You'd be wrong. It isn't a standard tree, in the way that I understand a "skill tree" to mean. The "trunk" and "branch" bit is actually relevant.

fastpunk

Arbiter
The character development system is pretty original but doesn't look like it will offer too much variation... and the fact that it's so focused on combat isn't that great. But since C&C is TW centerpiece I'm not going to cry about it too much. Also, alchemy looks promising, I enjoyed it in NWN2 and TW seems to offer much more depth in this regard, so it should be interesting.

This was a good article, thanks RPGWatch!

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Dhruin said:
You'd be wrong. It isn't a standard tree, in the way that I understand a "skill tree" to mean.
I don't know what you understand a "skill tree" to mean. Moreover, you don't know what I understand "trunk" and "branches" to mean. See, I never presumed The Witcher were using a standard skill-tree. You know why? Becuase the term isn't even used! The first expression used in the article is "tree-like skill system" and then the articles mentions the "trunk" and "branches" which allowed me guess what the system might look like. And even were my guess wrong, I'd have no reason to doubt that the description makes sense. After all, trees actually possess a trunk and branches, and since the skill system is supposedly tree-like. So why would you need to reassure me (your reader) that these terms are indeed adequate to describe it?

The "trunk" and "branch" bit is actually relevant.
Wow, really? In case you missed it, I didn't call the metaphor meaningless,I called it obvious. The "trunk" consists of the trait levels, and the branches of the skills you can learn "at" each trait level.
It's really quite simple. You can improve your trait directly by increasing its level, and at each level you can "branch out" by learning additional skills. The trunk is vertical, the branches are horizontal. Very tree-like indeed.

Dhruin

Liturgist
I'm glad it was obvious to you - I guess it means I've done my job. I ran it past my partner, who is an avid CRPG gamer, and had to re-write it several times before the details made sense to her. She got the basics, but not that the skills only affected that specific level attack.

Which makes her "dumb", I guess.

Wulfgar

Scholar
^ well she's a woman lol

Is the demo for the masses still coming by the end of October? Are we gonna get the same build as RPGWatch?

I was excited for it....then the obscenely high minimum specifications killed any anticipation for it. Thanks assholes in the game industry for constantly ramping up system requirements more than necessary in the name of useless graphical enhancements that are the new trend.

Edward_R_Murrow said:
Thanks assholes in the game industry for constantly ramping up system requirements more than necessary in the name of useless graphical enhancements that are the new trend.
New?

VonVentrue

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Edward_R_Murrow said:
I was excited for it....then the obscenely high minimum specifications killed any anticipation for it. Thanks assholes in the game industry for constantly ramping up system requirements more than necessary in the name of useless graphical enhancements that are the new trend.

Based on what I have found out, the system requirements have not been finalized thus far. Please wait for the game to come out and only then pass judgement on whether or not the game requires powerful hardware.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Wow, the game actually requires current hardware. Big whoop

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom