Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Chris Avellone works with challenged kids

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Tags: Chris Avellone; Obsidian Entertainment

Chris Avellone decided to answer <a href=http://forums.obsidianent.com/index.php?s=8d03c336ce3360472c0f39b2497a9784&automodule=blog&blogid=1&>some questions</a> "from students aspiring to be designers".
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>2. Do you have a family at this point in time? If so, how has the two areas as far as family man and Game developer coexist? If not, how would you see yourself in that kind of situation in the future?
<br>
<br>
3. How often do you work on certain projects?
<br>
<br>
5. Have you had time aside to learn new skills while working in the game industry?
<br>
<br>
7. Do you have friends in other game businesses?</blockquote>Fascinating.
<br>
<br>

Amasius

Augur
Why would someone with a sane mind want to become a game designer? Eh, never mind... :P

sabishii

Arbiter
I liked this:

The most important facet of education, though, didn’t come from school – it came from gamemastering and playing games during this whole period outside of school, combined with the school education. If you’re forced to be the game master/entertainer long enough so that your players stick around from session to session and enjoy themselves, chances are you have the skills for what makes a good game designer.

Dgaider

Liturgist
Developer
sabishii said:
I liked this:

The most important facet of education, though, didn’t come from school – it came from gamemastering and playing games during this whole period outside of school, combined with the school education. If you’re forced to be the game master/entertainer long enough so that your players stick around from session to session and enjoy themselves, chances are you have the skills for what makes a good game designer.

I would say that is very true. When we've hired writers, the one thing that links those people who *instinctively* grasped the whole concept behind multi-pathing dialogue were those peopel who had done a lot of gamemastering. Those who didn't, despite their skill at writing regular prose, could learn it (or not) but none of it seemed to grasp it as quickly as those who were already dyed-in-the-wool gamers.

In fact, whether or not one has experience gamemastering is something we now tend to ask during an interview.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Amasius said:
Why would someone with a sane mind want to become a game designer? Eh, never mind... :P

Nobody with a sane mind wants to do so. You have to be at least partially insane... That's quite ok though. It makes Game Designers something special ;)

Lumpy

Arcane
Dgaider said:
people who *instinctively* grasped the whole concept behind multi-pathing dialogue
Eh? Bioware games have that? Which ones?

JoeDirt

Scholar
CHOO CHOO HERE COMES THE HATE TRAIN

lumpy, skyway, you don't have to "prove" yourselves to the Codex. you're in already! rejoice! you're part of the gang

Lumpy

Arcane
JoeDirt said:

lumpy, skyway, you don't have to "prove" yourselves to the Codex. you're in already! rejoice! you're part of the gang
I'm trying to prove myself to the Codex? I thought I did a pretty good job at disproving myself.
No, I was genuinely curious, what Bio games have that? Since BG2 seems to be the most well liked here, and while enjoyable, it had nothing of that sort.

MetalCraze

Arcane

ahem, Joe, really look at bioware's games. Most of dialogues there built by black and white scheme, where white is an angel and black is a murderer/grinder of everything that moves. Except BG2 really. But even then bg2 had much of this shit. And since BG2 it's only black & white. And now look at Mass Effect. That is the most horrible dialogues I saw in the bioware rpg.

Bradylama

Arcane
Well, to be fair, he is implying that familiarity with branching mechanics has become something important to Bioware, so I'd lay off the hateorade a little.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Yeah, it's nice to hear it's a requirement. Now, I hope DX 10 won't become a requirement for their new games...

fastpunk

Arbiter
Kingston said:
Vault Dweller said:
7. Do you have friends in other game businesses?

What the fuck does that even mean? Other computer game companies, consoles, board games, chess... WHAT?

The future of gaming looks promising ey? I mean, if this is the type of question a soon to be designer asks then we're fucked!

inwoker

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
thesheeep said:
Nobody with a sane mind wants to do so. You have to be at least partially insane... That's quite ok though. It makes Game Designers something S.P.E.C.I.A.L. ;)
fixed

Human Shield

Augur
Lumpy said:
JoeDirt said:

I'm trying to prove myself to the Codex? I thought I did a pretty good job at disproving myself.
No, I was genuinely curious, what Bio games have that? Since BG2 seems to be the most well liked here, and while enjoyable, it had nothing of that sort.

No it had lots of dialog options that lead to the same outcome exactly what DM's love.

Cassidy

Arcane
Sometimes people ask others about the things they don't have.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom