Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview The flaming sword of Fallout

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Tags: Bethesda Softworks; Fallout 3

Forgot to share that with you. In a <a href=http://www.gamereactor.se/grtv/player/popup.php?id=1247>recent interview</a> Emil has mentioned a flaming sword.
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>We have one called the shish-ka-bob, it's a sort of a <u>flaming sword</u> you know using like you know using a you know using sort of a you know imagine like a motorcycle gasoline tank and stuff like that.</blockquote>In an earlier interview Emil mentioned the components for this amazing device:
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>We don't allow you to modify existing guns to customize them. For example, you can't take a pistol you've been using and add a scope to it. It's more like finding an old motorcycle gas can and an <u>old sword blade</u> and creating an entirely new weapon.</blockquote>Every Brotherhood of Steel knight must have a flaming sword of wasteland justice, so that's a great addition to the setting.
<br>
<br>
Also, the interview gives another example of the amazing choices (TM) you'll have to make:
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>you meet a little kid in the wasteland, the question is what do you do with the kid?</blockquote>The depth is mindblowing.
<br>
<br>
<br>

Chefe

Erudite
So it's The Elder Scrolls: Future Edition.

The BoS are Knights now? lolcrusade

Kill the kid?

Shannow

Waster of Time
Vault Dweller said:
<blockquote>you meet a little kid in the wasteland, the question is what do you do with the kid?</blockquote>The depth is mindblowing.
Well, since killing isn't an option anymore, I guess raping and selling into slavery in Megaton shortly before you blow it up is the only path that is left.

Wait, isn't blowing up a city full of children...

*argh*
Nothing happened here. The children are alive and well. Move along.

obediah

Erudite
<blockquote>We have one called the shish-ka-bob, it's a sort of a <u>flaming sword</u> you know using like you know using a you know using sort of a you know imagine like a motorcycle gasoline tank and stuff like that.</blockquote>

I think that sums up the depth of their design process. "We, uh, sorta, well you know."

It's a branching quest!

Code:
1. See Kid
   a) Not Talk to Kid - 50 XP
   b) Talk To Kid
      b.1) Help kid find his parents because you are nice - 200 XP
      b.2) Bitch about kid and help him find his parents - 250 XP (rp bonus!)
      b.3) Help kid find his parents for all his barbie heads - 50 XP + ammo

or perhaps:

Code:
1. See kid in middle of Wasteland
  a) save kid
  b) catch the Man in Black

Vault Dweller

Developer
Chefe said:
So it's The Elder Scrolls: Future Edition.

The BoS are Knights now? lolcrusade
Yep.

Recommended reading:
http://www.rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=157

NMA: "Pete Hines explaining the the supermutants have spread through the metro tunnels, but are locked in combat with the Brotherhood of Steel, "the noble knights of the wasteland" who are trying to drive out the supermutants.

Emil: "[The Brotherhood of Steel is a] “neo-knightly organization that is waging war in DC”"

RPG Gamer: Here we were assisted by the the knightly Brotherhood of Steel, a militaristic order whose goals are to drive back the mutants and reclaim this territory for the humans.

fastpunk

Arbiter
NMA were right when they said it's not Oblivion with guns... it's Oblivion of the future!

Vault Dweller said:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Micmu

Magister
Those inbred fucks are really cluttering their "Fallout" with everything that can have cool particle effects attached to it. :lol:

Flaming sword? What the hell is the practical use of this, except burning yourself horribly?

Vault Dweller

Developer
micmu said:
Those inbred fucks are really cluttering their "Fallout" with everything that can have cool particle effects attached to it. :lol:
http://www.rpgcodex.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=20285

Emil: One of my big responsibilities as lead designer is playing “content cop”--making sure I know what’s going in the game at all times. With the nature of Fallout, it’s easy to say “Anything goes!”--but if you do that, things become diluted. The jokes you do have become less funny, the profanity you have becomes less noticeable and meaningful. So really, any idea that comes up has to fall under the microscope.

That said, the Fallout world is the Fallout world; it’s non-restrictive by nature. There’s not a whole we couldn’t include, if that’s what we wanted. So really, for us, it’s always a matter of asking ourselves, “Do we really want this? Does it fit with the world, does it fit with our story. At the end of the day, does it make Fallout 3 better?” If the answer to any of those questions is “no,” it doesn’t go in the game.

Texas Red

Whiner
MasPingon said:
Any information if we could play as a mage? I don't want to be a warrior. It ruins an immersion for me

I wont be surprised if you get psi powers and youl be able to control fire and shit. Magick in sci-fi is the new rage.

Lingwe

Liturgist
NMA: "Pete Hines explaining the the supermutants have spread through the metro tunnels, but are locked in combat with the Brotherhood of Steel, "the noble knights of the wasteland" who are trying to drive out the supermutants.

Emil: "[The Brotherhood of Steel is a] “neo-knightly organization that is waging war in DC”"

RPG Gamer: Here we were assisted by the the knightly Brotherhood of Steel, a militaristic order whose goals are to drive back the mutants and reclaim this territory for the humans.

(should be read in teasing child voice) Na na na na na na. Bethesda bought the IP which means they can anything they waant.

Sounds exactly like their design philosophy with Oblivion. Chuck in references to older games to "please the fans" and then shoot the references in the head ala Mannimarco.

Conversation at Bethesda offices:

"Hey Emil we need to chuck in more Fallouty things to remind people it is a Fallout game"
"Sure, what about a flaming sword?"
"Sounds appropriately Fallouty"
"Oh and I know how about we have the Brotherhood of Steel"
"The Brotherhood of Steel! Yeah cool. They were those guys who were trying to stop the Supermutants from taking over the world weren't they?"
"Uh not quite"
"Well they are now. Yeah the Brotherhood of Steel. This is going to so fucking cool"
"Yeah, it is going to be cool. The Brotherhood of Steel as the noble knights of the wasteland. Best bit is the original fans will love seeing the Brotherhood of Steel again so we can pretend that we care about them"
"Hey guys what did I miss?"
"Hey Petey, we need you to sell the idea that the Brotherhood of Steel is all about running around gunning down supermutants and swearing like sailors."
"Shouldn't be too hard"

inwoker

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
MasPingon said:
Any information if we could play as a mage? I don't want to be a warrior. It ruins an immersion for me
Of course!!!
You can take pistol and roleplay it to be staff of fireballs

Cassidy

Arcane
Vault Dweller said:
Forgot to share that with you. In a <a>recent interview</a> Emil has mentioned a flaming sword.

<blockquote>We have one called the shish-ka-bob, it's a sort of a <u>flaming sword</u> you know using like you know using a you know using sort of a you know imagine like a motorcycle gasoline tank and stuff like that.</blockquote>

Stuff like that

Vault Dweller said:
In an earlier interview Emil mentioned the components for this amazing device:

<blockquote>We don't allow you to modify existing guns to customize them. For example, you can't take a pistol you've been using and add a scope to it. It's more like finding an old motorcycle gas can and an <u>old sword blade</u> and creating an entirely new weapon.</blockquote>Every Brotherhood of Steel knight must have a flaming sword of wasteland justice, so that's a great addition to the setting

Entirely new

Vault Dweller said:
Also, the interview gives another example of the amazing choices (TM) you'll have to make:

<blockquote>you meet a little kid in the wasteland, the question is what do you do with the kid?</blockquote>

Sell him a copy of Oblivion

obediah

Erudite
Claw said:
If I can kill the kid, all is forgiven. :wink:

Har. Har. You fell for their trap.

Bethesda loves it when we bitch about not being able to kill children. It's a great sound byte for them to dismiss all our concerns. No matter what else you complain about their reply is

We're talking about a few depraved individuals that thought the most important thing in fallout was being able to kill little kids. Think of the children!!111!!

Deleted member 7219

Actually I thought it was a very good interview. Emil looked tired and sweaty like he had just spoken to a bunch of retards from Gamespy, Game Informer and the rest, so he probably appreciated being asked some more intelligent questions by the guys at Gamereactor.

The only down point of the interview for me was the flaming sword thing.

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
Wouldn't that liquid gasoline leak towards your hands, you know, burning yourself?

JoeDirt

Scholar
volrath you are obviously from that NMA crowd of freaks. i hear they use something called logic which surely leads to the killing of children.

:shudder:

VonVentrue

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Swords are in? AWESOME!!! What about mudcrabs?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom