Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Lionheart release aftermath

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Eric Dallaire; Lionheart: Legacy of the Crusader; Reflexive Entertainment

And the <A href="http://forums.interplay.com/">Interplay forums</a>, particularly the <A href="http://forums.interplay.com/viewforum.php?f=26">Lionheart forum</a> has taken a turn toward the <i>ugly</i>. While there are positive threads, there are many threads <a href="http://forums.interplay.com/viewtopic.php?t=29321">how the developers have lied</a>, <a href="http://forums.interplay.com/viewtopic.php?t=29418">how the developers should be ashamed of this title</a>, <a href="http://forums.interplay.com/viewtopic.php?t=29168">taking the game back to EB</a>, <A href="http://forums.interplay.com/viewtopic.php?t=29306">questions on why the game costs $50 instead of $20</a>, and much more unpleasantness. However, on the subject of the devs lying, <b>Eric Dallaire</b> decided to stand tall and retort with this:
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>If you didn't like the game that's your opinion and I respect it. But to post that we lied to you is a lie in itself. I have been very forthcoming that the demo represented some things about the game dead on and that the real game certainly contained more story and interaction, which it does. If you're disappointed that the end game did not have as much non-linearity as the beginning of the game, I can understand your point of view.
<br>
<br>
But we didn't lie. Since the beginning, when we were asked to make an action rpg, we have been saying that the game would have a story but also have combat and that it would have areas that you couldn't talk your way through. I think we've been very up front about Lionheart throughout production and post release.
<br>
<br>
I told people that if they didn't like the demo at all, then they would not like the game and I recommended that they didn't purchase it. Some people interpreted this statement as a callous disregard for what people wanted out of this game - but we wanted to be honest about what kind of game Lionheart is to avoid people from buying a game they didn't want.
<br>
<br>
I also said that if you liked the demo, you would love the game, and for or those on the fence, some would really like it while others still might not.
<br>
<br>
I stand by those comments.
<br>
<br>
If you really like elements of Lionheart but don't like other parts, that's fine, we'd love to hear your constructive comments. Believe or not, we're in the industry to make fun games that we want to play and that others will enjoy playing and we want to keep honing our craft. But we're human, and most of us are not going to wade into flaming rant-filled threads - this thread only got my attention because the title was so off base that I thought it deserved a defense. Please don't think this is a good way to get our attention, however.
<br>
<br>
To those that enjoyed the entire game, most of the game, or overall thought it was fun, I'm glad you enjoyed it. For those who liked some elements of the demo or full game but really hated this feature or that or wanted to see 80% of X, I wish the game could have been better for you (and I do want to hear what you liked/disliked). And for those people who bought this game thinking it was a different game, I am sorry that you were disappointed and I hope you get your money back or a trade-in. We certainly don't want to sell a steak to a vegan (or an apple to a carnivore ). Our intention was to make a role playing game that attempts to tell a good story while blending in strong action background.
<br>
<br>
Again, we want to see your feedback, but please keep the comments civil and constructive. For those that are on the fence about Lionheart, I would recommend that you do some research into previews, interviews, and read some reviews.</blockquote>
<br>
<br>
I actually made a few statements at the beginning that <a href="http://www.blackisle.com">Black Isle</a> making another combat game would be a bad idea, even if they contract it to someone else. It's been four years since <a href="http://www.planescape-torment.com/">Planescape: Torment</a>, after all.
<br>
<br>
Thanks to <b>chrisbeddoes</b> for pointing me the way there.
<br>

EEVIAC

Erudite
I followed chris' links from another thread and felt sick after a few minutes. I'll quote from this thread :

greg k is a senior editor at gamespot who is reviewing the game. someone asked of his initial thoughts on lionheart, and here's his replies.

It's OK so far. Sorry we're late on this one, but it's one of those games where the publisher flatly refused to send advanced reviewable copies for whatever reason. We'll have a review up soon, as I'll be spending most of my weekend getting through the rest of the game.

That's pretty despicable. They should realize that a lot of stores have return policies and rushing a game out to a RPG starved market isn't going to do them any good.

Voss

Erudite
I like the last line of that post.

For those that are on the fence about Lionheart, I would recommend that you do some research into previews, interviews, and read some reviews.

But whatever you do, don't listen to all the angry/disappointed customers. Because obviously that doesn't mean anything, and is far less informative than any of the previews and interviews. :roll:

Sharpei_Diem

Liturgist
Voss said:
But whatever you do, don't listen to all the angry/disappointed customers. Because obviously that doesn't mean anything, and is far less informative than any of the previews and interviews. :roll:

eh, i kinda agree with the writer's sentiment. Reviewers are, at least, supposed to be objective. The problem with rants is you often can't tell what the hell is <b>really</b> causing the guy to spout off; maybe he's just pissed off his fairy doesn't have wings...

I'm not suggesting that anyone ignore rants, because sometimes there's some validity in it(particularly if you get it from many different sources at one time), just not to use them as the primary basis for making a purchasing decision...

Now, there's another issue if they're saying 'look at the reviews' and at the same time not providing material for people to review...seems to be a bit of duplicity there

triCritical

Erudite
Sharpei_Diem said:
Voss said:

eh, i kinda agree with the writer's sentiment. Reviewers are, at least, supposed to be objective. The problem with rants is you often can't tell what the hell is <b>really</b> causing the guy to spout off; maybe he's just pissed off his fairy doesn't have wings...

Key word is supposed. Afterall why would you rip MMIX because everything looks the same and then not NWN? Hell at least MMIX had the ability to do non-flat surfaces. And what the hell is Gamespot's Reviewer Tilt? My guess is SUBJECTIVISM. So who am going to listen to a largely sampled group of peeps like me, or a couple of reviewers that might like the games I like or might not?

protobob

Liturgist
The people who expected this to be a BG2 or Fallout, well, they are probably very dissappointed.

Anyway, if you are going to make an action heavy RPG, make a good action heavy RPG. Lionheart can't seem to make up it's mind as to wether it wants to be action-heavy or dialogue/rp-heavy, and does poorly at both.

Oh, and for a heavy-action RPG, the loot sure is asstastic.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
So have the Interpay forums crashed from all the Lionheart shit or something? 'cause I ain't getting anything to load...

Psilon

Erudite
It wouldn't surprise me if they shut the whole forum system down, considering the flying feces over Fallout Enforcer and now Lionheart. The boards were always slow to begin with, and now with a horde of dissatisfied customers they're probably wishing they were just Slashdotted.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
The Interplay Boards have netred the twilight zone. Time has gone backwards, not forwards.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
I can't believe they did it again! They don't like public reaction, they cleanse the reaction and start again hoping that everybody who's pissed off would leave and only the dumb ones would stay. What are they, breeding a new kind of morons?

triCritical

Erudite
Vault Dweller said:
I can't believe they did it again! They don't like public reaction, they cleanse the reaction and start again hoping that everybody who's pissed off would leave and only the dumb ones would stay. What are they, breeding a new kind of morons?

Well they won't be able to erase Gamespots very mediocre review.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
I bet Lionheart gets rave reviews from a few sites, though. A few sites might hammer it, but a bunch of them will give it BEST. RPG. OF. 2003. reviews.

Killzig

Cipher
Patron
I acquired this game on friday night, played through it over the weekend. It's got it's good points and it's got even more bad points. First off, if you're thinking of buying this, wait til it hits the bargain bin next month. This game is way behind it's time, it's a Diablo clone without any of the cool loot or solid multiplay structure.

The first thing you'll notice is the interface and the fog of war. While the interface proves functional the fog of war is just annoying. Especially when a lot of times you'll accidentally run into 5 goblins who weren't more than 10 feet away from you but you still couldn't see. Very annoying at early levels and later on too. Not something you really get over as with the interface. It's an rpg with very shallow combat, I really don't understand why they felt they needed to include fog of war. Yes Diablo had it too but Diablo had a much nicer map system too. The automap in lionheart is awful, its' really blurry and you can really only make out major landmarks, everything else is too muddy to discern. There are no annotations to mark exits, or entrances to caves, or anything like that. You just get a mini screenshot of the map, a very sloppy looking screenshot at that. This becomes even more of a problem when you start getting into the dungeons and can't find those secret passages and hidden entrances again.

The story itself starts out pretty interestingly, you've been taken over by a spirit of your choosing. Captured by slavers. Attacked by assassins. Then finally whisked away by Leonardo. This first stage of the game is probably the most enjoyable, Leonardo drops you in Barcelona tells you to join a faction and talk to him when you're done. Have fun kid. As soon as you walk up to the city gates there are two exp getters you can grab. Head off to the left and you discover a murder that you can report to the guards for some exp/loot. Head off to the right and learn about the Knights of Saladin. A little more too the right and you pick up some starter equipment. Hey this game's pretty nice. There's dialog, npcs to interact with, and a little loot to get you started -- let's head into the city. The gate district is kind of uninteresting, 6 vendors in this section of the city alone. A bit excessive. 3 weapons dealers, 4 if you lump in the guy who sells bows. 1 magic equip seller. 1 potion seller. That's about it for this area which is kind of sad, but the port district makes up for it.

The port disctrict offers up quite a few side quests to help you build up exp. some interesting scene on the street with an inquisitor telling the tainted to give themselves up. It really works well for the atmosphere of the game and makes you want to explore. If you lock pick and break into people's houses they will fight you -- SHOCK! There's a murder mystary! to solve. Two mailman quests for shakespeare and a little fun with El Conquistador.

This area and the temple district really help the game along. They keep you playing and give you hope for an interesting game world. The art is nothing out of this world, it's actually kind of uninteresting, especially the city art work, but the quests and characters you meet make up for it.

So this is very cool, I'm in Barcelona I've had a few quests where I didn't have to crawl any dungeons. Uh oh a sewer entrance, a prelude to the end :( ... the second I got into the sewer and started finding cliched passages/secret door ways my stomach sank. It was tedium all around. A lot of the enemies were very overpowered for the lvl character you're taking into the area. Especially the lava trolls. The quests are confusing and the maps aren't helpful either. The mobs all look the same and the big baddies who hold the quest items aren't differentiated well enough nor are their lairs. This makes most of them difficult to find and the bosses even tougher to find. Couple this with a lousy automap system and you'll definitely have moments where you just want to throw in the towel and uninstall the game.

Another shocking bit is that while you're crawling the sewers there's not really any swag to be had. There's the occassional chest in the secret alcove that has a little something but the baddies only drop coin or mana spirits. Not nearly enough health potions (which are really weak anyways) and nowhere near the variations of items you'd like. The bosses don't drop anything either -- just those pesky quest items that you can't sell off. Well shit. This has been a wasted effort the whole way around. The dungeon sucks, I'm done with it. Going topside, screw you marisol! find your own brother.

I figure I'm done with this dungeon I wont come back to it -- happy day back in barcelona. Ok done with all the quests in town, let's move this story along. I join the knights templar and they send me to montserrat. A cathedral with a relic stored. I get there and everyone's dead save the baddies. Hordes of knight templars laying around the place and twice as many live green women who spit bile. :\ All this after I gave the Knight Templars 1000 gold and did all their petty initiation quests. They didn't even give me a suit of armor. Just a crappy shield I had to go get the materials for myself and can't even sell back for more than 200... :( Really pissy. I venture into the cathedral and SHOCKGASPHORROR another dungeon.

Unfortunately, it's all downhill from here, you crawl dungeon after dungeon until you come to the end. This is one of those games that could have been a lot of fun had they spent a little more time focusing on what works in its favor (stuff like barcelona) instead of pouring all the time into the dungeons and the crappy combat. If you're not into dungeon crawls don't bother. If you only like dungeon crawls for the swag don't bother. The game tries to have some non hack n slash rpg elements but falls painfully short.. instead it feels like you're playing a demo. Then it overloads you with the dungeon crawl. Never seems to strike a happy balance, it blows its load completely from the getgo in barcelona and you're stuck with hordes of enemies who move faster than <<insert funny analogy>> ...

That's my .02

Killzig

Cipher
Patron
I'd just like to add that all of the threads linked in this news post have been deleted by Interplay.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Well.. The entire board has been pushed back months. We shouldn't be jumping to conspiracy theory conclusions yet. Read the forum feedback forum for Techwiz's reason for what happened...

Balthamael

Liturgist
Apparently database was corrupted, and everything since 24th July is gone. Looks like a major fuck-up rather than an attempt to cover up bad public reactions, but what do I know.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
True. It is "convient". I'm not worried about it eitehr way. Sure enough, the attacks on LH are continuing as we speak so if the plan was to stop that; it didn't work. That's the main reason why I think this is a major system crash due to the incrased traffic.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
LOL Where do you think? The people who hate LH, of course. :lol:

Voss

Erudite
Eh. The official announcement on their boards mentions twice as much volume as normal. I don't really see that many people buying lionheart in the first place (once you cull all the casual gamers that
[can't/don't know how to/would poke their own eyes out before writing a] post on a forum).

And when you get right down to it, 90% of the people that post at all on the interplay boards are essentially permanent residents, chewing their own cud over and over again.

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I'd add to Killzigs review that there are also several killer bugs concerning companions, they get stuck and when you try to leave the map you'll crash to desktop every time. I'm guessing the fog of war is due to piss poor pathfinding.

It's funny looking at the various Lionheart Lewts articles, I think I've seen 2 things mentioned in them... I did get a somewhat nice 2h weapon from a chest once (which I couldn't use) but then I got a companion glitch crash, and when I relooted the chest I got a book of Orcish poetry instead, ubah!

My character has no gloves or amor better then leather of protection, but I've gotten roughly 500 scimitars or Longswords of Fleshseeking

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom