Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Fallout 3 interview at EuroGamer

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Tags: Bethesda Softworks; Fallout 3

<a href=http://www.eurogamer.net>Eurogamer</a> has posted an <a href=http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=82323>interview</a> with Pete Hines, discussing various Fallout 3 topics.
<br>
<br>
<blockquote><b>Why exactly did you decide to take up the challenge of a Fallout game in the first place? Was there a really a burning desire to work with the franchise?</b>
<br>
<br>
That's honestly how it happened. It was just us sitting around talking about doing something else besides the Elder Scrolls, <b>something RPG-ish</b>, and wondering, what could we do?
<br>
<br>
<b>What is it about the games that you at Bethesda so loved? What made you want to work with Fallout?</b>
<br>
<br>
It's any number of things. If you had to boil it down to one thing, it's definitely the overall theme and tone and setting of Fallout. It was so different and unique from anything else that anyone was doing back then, or really that anybody's done since then. It had this great 1950s vibe and sensibility, but set in a post-nuclear world where things were blown to hell and people were doing anything to survive - <b>but they still cared about their hairstyles</b>. It just that dark comedy and humour. Also, it was a really violent game, and it's nice to be able to do something that is a complete break from the Elder Scrolls. We can't do another fantasy game, because then it's just going to be too similar to Oblivion. </blockquote>Something RPG-ish and different from Oblivion. That's some hardcore Fallout fanatism right there.
<br>
<br>
<blockquote><b>So how have the infamous Fallout fans reacted so far to what you've shown of the game?</b>
<br>
<br>
Well, the fan community is actually rather large so it depends what segment we're talking about [laughs]. Obviously we're fans...</blockquote>Obviously.
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>...but there is a segment of our fanbase - I say 'our', I mean the Fallout fanbase - that has basically decided back in 1994 that we're doing it all wrong and that they're going to hate our game whatever we do.</blockquote>Back in 1994?
<br>
<br>
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.nma-fallout.com">NMA</A>

MetalCraze

Arcane
He's not misleading them.
They just doing blowjob professionally. They are hardcore professionals after all.

But anyway I liked how he escaped question about fallout fan community

Fallout fanbase - that has basically decided back in 1994 that we're doing it all wrong and that they're going to hate our game whatever we do.

aha fallout fanbase is many things but still the reaction is the same, right Petey

btw. It's 1994 AD or BC?

xedoc gpr

Scholar
I was talking about the question about the fallout fans. It's way easier to just tell the interviewer that they are "idiots stuck in 1994" rather than have to actually defend anything.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
xedoc gpr said:
I think it's hard to mix up 2004 with 1994.

What, you never said "WW II ended in 2045"

It's such an obvious mistake to make, anyone can make it!

:roll:

trais

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Eurogamer: So do you see Fallout as a continuing franchise for Bethedsa?

Pete Hines: Absolutely. We didn't go acquire the rights just to make one game. We fully intend for this to be a success, and as long as we don't fuck it up and we make a good game, we think it will be.

One rape isn't enough, I guess...

fastpunk

Arbiter
Uncle Pete said:
That's honestly how it happened. It was just us sitting around talking about doing something else besides the Elder Scrolls, something RPG-ish, and wondering, what could we do?

Oh God, I hope they don't have one of those moments ever again!

Uncle Pete said:
... but they still cared about their hairstyles.

Beg pardon?!

Uncle Pete said:
... it's nice to be able to do something that is a complete break from the Elder Scrolls. We can't do another fantasy game, because then it's just going to be too similar to Oblivion.

Yes, too similar. Thanks God FO3 is so different!

Uncle Pete said:
Obviously we're fans...

Yeah, yeah, we heard you the time before. You carry FO on your laptop and all your dev team has played and enjoyed it. Can you change the lines a bit, it's getting a bit boring...

Uncle Pete said:
...but there is a segment of our fanbase - I say 'our', I mean the Fallout fanbase - that has basically decided back in 1994 that we're doing it all wrong and that they're going to hate our game whatever we do.

Oh, those bastards! Saying all those bad things for no reason!

Deleted member 7219

Heh heh, funny he says 1994, since a lot of the Fallout fanbase like Daggerfall which Bethesda released in 1996.... I'm sure most of the Fallout fanbase became disillusioned with Bethesda when Oblivion came out. 2006. Quite a bit of differernce.

Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming!
Interesting. We made up our minds about Bethesdas Fallout 3 even before the original Fallout game existed. I have to agree, its hard to top this level of bias.

Jedi_Learner

Liturgist
Back in 1994 I was playing Streets of Rage 3 on the Mega Drive (Genesis for you Americans) and SimCity 2000 on the PC. Ah, memories... :cry:

But people, watch as Pete Hines once against demonstrates that he truly is the master of bullshit, and in a couple of days from now he'll claim he was misquoted, or misunderstood by the interviewer.

Mamon

Scholar
Eurogamer could have misquoted the guy. Or he is just exaggerating. Like saying:" this news is old as the dinasaurs" or something.

MetalCraze

Arcane
"two thousand and fourth year"
"nineteen ninety fourth year"

How the fuck could you make such mistake?!
Or did Pete stub journalist with a Retarded Sword + 10?

Sovy Kurosei

Erudite
Besides being a "hur, hur" moment you'd have to be pretty anal to take the 1994 comment seriously instead of accepting that it was likely a typo or Pete Hines mispoke.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I am sorry, but some of use like being anal from time to time. :(

You should know. :evil:

max

Novice
Marginalizing the hardcore fanbase can be a lot more harmful to a franchise than Pete or Bethesda realize. After all, look at Deus Ex 2.

It was even developed by 90% of the original team and kept 85% of the things that made the original great (which cannot be said for Fallout 3 compared to Fallout) and it STILL Deus Ex 2 failed miserably both from a critical standpoint and at retail, as predicted by the hardcore fanbase all along, thanks to dumbing down and 'generifying' all the role playing and narrative elements.

I think a game can never be a true success without support from the hardcore fans. If you are making a game, and most of the vocal and reasoned fan input is negative, you've got to think hard about what that means and maybe go back to the drawing board...

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
Deus Ex 2's bad reputation has more to do with being a Something Awful memewagon.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom