Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview The wonderful world of Fallout 3

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Tags: Bethesda Softworks; Fallout 3

We present you our <a href=http://www.rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=157>Fallout 3 preview</a>. It contains nothing but facts and specific statements from developers and media. We'll continue updating the article, adding new facts as they became available, until the game is released, so drop by every now and then to see what's new and exciting.
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>You're no longer alone in the harsh, post-apocalyptic world. You have a father and not just any father. He's a scholar and a gentleman - voiced by Liam Neeson!!! - and you just can't live without him. Your love for your father is so strong that when he leaves you and the vault one day, you blindly follow him into the wasteland.
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>Twitch Guru: "The main character's father, a <b>genetic scientist</b>, mysteriously departs... "
<br>
<br>
Worthplaying: "......your father, <b>one of the most important people</b> in Vault 101..."
<br>
<br>
Emil: "So take the relationship with "my" father. He's <b>my moral compass</b>..."
<br>
<br>
Bethesda: "Neeson will play the role of the player's father and will appear prominently throughout the game. ...and provides <b>the dramatic tone</b> for the entire game"
<br>
<br>
Gavin: Your dad is like this warm, inviting guy. He's Liam Neeson! <b>Who wouldn't want Liam Neeson as their dad, right?</b> </blockquote></blockquote>
<br>

MetalCraze

Arcane
Anyone noticed that in every movie/game where Liam Neeson appears he dies?

Karma?

edit> I just hope fallout3 won't change this tradition.

I wiki'd "father fixation" so I could make a witty two-three word "ew, ______ complex" post. The first two results were for Shakira and this hideous little gimp.

In conclusion, Liam Neeson is Tingle.

Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming!
Dont wanna play the advocatus diaboli, but I don't have a problem with the dictatorship vault idea of theirs.

It's silly to assume that all Vaults have developed exactly the same way. All kind of things can happen in such a long period of time, especially when people are stuck together on a small area without contact to the outside world.

It would be stupid if Bethesda made the impression that all Vaults were planned as such dictatorships (and therefore contradicting the canon), but there's no reason why one particular vault couldn't have developed in this direction.

Vault Dweller

Developer
TalesfromtheCrypt said:
Dont wanna play the advocatus diaboli, but I don't have a problem with the dictatorship vault idea of theirs.
There is nothing wrong with it. This is not a "let's lol at Bethesda" article. This is a collection of facts and specific statements about the game. Some sounds good, some sounds bad, some sounds stupid.

PS. The idea is to provide a detailed, hype- and bullshit-free info about the game.

TalesfromtheCrypt said:

I think the "retarded" element in the dictatorship idea lies in the fact it isn't executed well at all. For instance, this Overseer is running a tight ship with armed guards with riot suits, yet a teenage gang is running amok. Not only that, but they're harassing his daughter. You'd think he would lay the hammer down on them, because he sure lays it down on you when your father disappears even though he has no evidence at all that you were involved. It seems likes Bethesda's stuff contradicts itself quite a bit. And we haven't even gotten to the player interaction elements with the Overseer. If you help his daughter out, and display open animosity towards your father, who apparently isn't friendly with the Overseer, it seems like he'll still feel the need to throw you out, even though a real dictator would wait for a better reason, especially in a situation where human resources are limited (read: a vault).

Vault Dweller

Developer
skyway said:
This is not a "let's lol at Bethesda" article

But this is the most LOL-able arctile in past months. Still shocked by it :D
Thank Bethesda for that. The funniest part for me was:

Pete: It's an RPG! It's not a game for people who play Halo or Call of Duty!

Emil: Todd and I played Halo and Call of Duty to develop the combat system.

Edward_R_Murrow said:
I think the "retarded" element in the dictatorship idea lies in the fact it isn't executed well at all. For instance, this Overseer is running a tight ship with armed guards with riot suits, yet a teenage gang is running amok. Not only that, but they're harassing his daughter. You'd think he would lay the hammer down on them...
Yep. Good point. Not to mention that if he wanted to keep the vault locked, he should have disabled the obvious ways to get out. I mean, we hear from everyone that this vault was never meant to be opened, that nobody EVAR gets out, but then people simply walk to the door, ring the bell to open it and leave. How does that make sense?

Couldn't they come up with a better way to escape the vault?

Vault Dweller said:
TalesfromtheCrypt said:
There is nothing wrong with it. This is not a "let's lol at Bethesda" article. This is a collection of facts and specific statements about the game. Some sounds good, some sounds bad, some sounds stupid.

PS. The idea is to provide a detailed, hype- and bullshit-free info about the game.

Yeah, I wrote the comment before continueing to read so indeed at first I though that this article justs wants to point out the stupid things, which it doesn't. My bad.

@Edward, youre obviously right about that. I guess you could find an explanation for the gang (for example that these guys are favoured by the overseer, maybe his own son or children of his close subordinates - so nobody dares to stand up to them).
Of course, if they are described as harrasing the overseers daughter, this explanation fails aswell and it becomes rather silly.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Call Of Duty 2 indicates when someone throwing grenade at you!

It's either the reason why allies were so successful in WW2 or a thing we will definitely see in this brand new Retarded Playing Game!

or both

Couldn't they come up with a better way to escape the vault?

yeah, like in far cry - when you escaping first dungeon

Lumpy

Arcane
Szioul said:
Admiral jimbob said:
I wiki'd "father fixation" so I could make a witty two-three word "ew, ______ complex" post.l

Look up Electra complex.
Is that for girls that want to fuck their fathers?

Texas Red

Whiner
Lumpy said:
Szioul said:
Admiral jimbob said:
I wiki'd "father fixation" so I could make a witty two-three word "ew, ______ complex" post.l

Look up Electra complex.
Is that for girls that want to fuck their fathers?

According to Freud, a girl, like a boy, is originally attached to the mother figure. However, during the phallic stage, when she discovers that she lacks a penis, she becomes libidinally attached to the father figure, and imagines that she will become pregnant by him, all the while becoming more hostile toward her mother. Freud attributes the character of this developmental stage in girls to the idea of "penis envy", where a girl is envious of the male penis. According to the theory, this penis envy leads to resentment towards the mother figure, who is believed to have caused the girl's "castration." The hostility towards the mother is then later revoked for fear of losing the mother's love, and the mother becomes internalized, much the same as the Oedipus Complex.

99 % percent of the bullshit Freud wrote are considered ridiciolous fantasy these days.
The man should be just forgotten, his contributions towards psychology are almost nill.

To be fair though, it seems that at least 90 % percent of the whole "psychology" science is bullshit and has often more to do with ideology than with science.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Elektra is a fun opera. I show it to every modern teen that tells me opera is boring. Salome is even better. Sex with severed heads might not be called art by everyone, but it sure gets kids interested in opera.

SuAside

Novice
MaxiMegalon Institute of Slowly and Painfully Work
The Walkin' Dude said:
According to Freud, a girl, like a boy, is originally attached to the mother figure. However, during the phallic stage, when she discovers that she lacks a penis, she becomes libidinally attached to the father figure, and imagines that she will become pregnant by him, all the while becoming more hostile toward her mother. Freud attributes the character of this developmental stage in girls to the idea of "penis envy", where a girl is envious of the male penis. According to the theory, this penis envy leads to resentment towards the mother figure, who is believed to have caused the girl's "castration." The hostility towards the mother is then later revoked for fear of losing the mother's love, and the mother becomes internalized, much the same as the Oedipus Complex.

Penis.jpeg

Araanor

Liturgist
What Freud contributed was the concept that there are unconscious drives and much we can't control about our own minds, which stood in sharp contrast to the established views of the time. (I'm led to believe.)

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
I saw a mudcrab the other day.

Mudcrabs? I'm gonna fuckin' end them.

DOS-fanboy

Novice
I have to thank you, Codex, since you have brought me back to my senses. I really f'ing needed that.

There was a moment where, after reading Gothic-lover Desslock's article in PC Gamer, that I actually considered giving Fallout 3 a chance.

Well, that left quicker then my last erection.

Excuse me while I play some Fallout 2. I'll imagine the car in it has a radio station playing Ink Spots nonstop. That way I know it's really Fallout.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom