Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Fallout 3 lead character artist interview

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Tags: Bethesda Softworks; Fallout 3

<a href=http://bethblog.com/?p=219>The Bethesda Blog</a>, a premiere source of Bethesda-related info straight from the horse's mouth, has posted an <a href=http://bethblog.com/?p=219>interview</a> with Josh Jones, who's the lead character artist. His portfolio includes and pretty much limited to Redguard, Morrowind, Bloodmoon, and Oblivion, and he's the guy responsible for the Fallout's "new look".
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>Ever play the Fallout games?
<br>
<br>
No.</blockquote>...
<br>
<br>
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.nma-fallout.com/">NMA</A>

Durwyn

Prophet
Hehe good joke.... No.. serious ? Holy shit. It gets better and better every single day...

MetalCraze

Arcane
luckily it appears he works mostly on animations.

Yes. The one responsible for the characters is actually Emil Wtfhissurnameis.
So we can expect such prominent and deep characters as Martin and farmer #1346

VonVentrue

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
That's exactly what I wanted to find out. My hopes for the game have been raised even higher.
Way to go, Bethesda!

Vault Dweller

Developer
It's hard to find a better Fallout 3 team.

The Overseer: Todd Howard who thinks Fallout 3 should be Jackass-funny, the most violent game ever.

Lead Designer: Emil who thinks that dialogues shouldn't affect gameplay

Lead Level Designer: Joel who hired a bunch of Oblivion modders to make "FO3 dungeons".

Lead Character Artist: Josh who never played FO games and has no idea how characters are supposed to look.

Lead Programmer: MSFD who thinks that Oblivion was the best game evar.

LETS GIVE BETHESDA A CHANCE!!!!

sabishii

Arbiter
How hard is it to play a damn video game for better background knowledge? I mean, it's not even work! It's a video game! I'd love to play video games for my work!

Though... on the other hand I can see why. Fallout is just unplayable nowadays.

Durwyn

Prophet
Vault Dweller said:

The Overseer: Todd Howard who thinks Fallout 3 should be Jackass-funny, the most violent game ever.

Lead Level Designer: Joel who hired a bunch of Oblivion modders to make "FO3 dungeons".

Lead Character Artist: Josh who never played FO games and has no idea how characters are supposed to look.

Fuck I just wonder... who's next? The pizza delivery guy who was their inspiration when creating PC father ?

Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming!
Fallout is perfectly playable today and still great fun.

My brother plays it for the first time since a few days and he thinks its great so far.
And hes usually only into sport and action adventure games.

tardtastic

Scholar
Admittedly, I'm not a professional animator, I'm just a student, but -

MoCap - what this guy "specializes" in, what he's chiefly involved in - isn't even really animation. He's really vague about what he's doing - does he even make concept art? - but, if ALL that he's doing is MoCap, then it's not even an artistic position, it's chiefly technical in nature, and, you know, while his having never played Fallout is shitty - and gives the lie, yet again, to the "we're all Fallout fans!" line - I don't think it would really affect the game too much. The whole point of mocap is so that you can put real animators out of work and get a cheap, passable product out of a few technicians and anyone who can play make-believe while they've ping-pong balls taped to them - and none of the easily-entertained-by-anything-smooth-and-shiny morons who collectively make up the vast majority of the audiences for film and games will even notice that the product has none of the emotional content that comes through when a real animator is behind the whole thing.

his head reminds me of a sifaka

sabishii

Arbiter
Locue said:
sabishii said:
Fallout is just unplayable nowadays.
Really? Do tell!
Well, first of all, it's 2D. What the fuck is that? I'm not 2D, and neither is my cock.

Secondly, turn-based? Real life doesn't take turns. Talk about immersion-breaking. :roll:

Third, where are all the nukes? The game throws these huge motherfucking super mutants at me and I can't blast them with nukes? Can you say "lack of balance" with me? Not to mention it would be HILARIOUS punch someone with a nuke and see them die due to radiation right in front of my face!

Need I go on?

Ander Vinz

Scholar
Vault Dweller said:
How can you judge if you haven't played the game yet?

sabishii said:
I must agree. It looks like total crap. And it's water graphics is painful to the eyes.

tardtastic

Scholar
Fucklers, I got so pissed about that on the Bethsoft forums a few days ago, before my banningyowzaz. Those mooks denigrate the graphics from Fallout every chance they get, and use absolutely ridiculous statements like about the "4 pixel chair" to try to have a laugh at the Interplay artists. Todd, Pete and Emil aren't artists - they've no clue what four pixels even is. Four pixels is a ":". The Fallout artists did a really great job considering their limitations, and they produced a game with a much more cohesive and involving aesthetic than anything I've ever seen from Bethesda. You'd have to be utterly clueless about art to knock what they accomplished - you'd have to have no appreciation whatever of real artistic practices and principles, and instead be some utterly vapid nerdgasmic waste-of-oxygen-and-pimple-cream, awestruck by anything shiny, bloomy, or particley, to hold anything Beth's capable of above what Interplay managed to do.
Their design was spot-on. Compare their Vault posters to Beth's - that encapsulates the vast disparity in artistic skill involved.

Ander Vinz

Scholar
sabishii said:
Well, first of all, it's 2D. What the fuck is that? I'm not 2D, and neither is my cock.

Secondly, turn-based? Real life doesn't take turns. Talk about immersion-breaking. :roll:

Third, where are all the nukes? The game throws these huge motherfucking super mutants at me and I can't blast them with nukes? Can you say "lack of balance" with me? Not to mention it would be HILARIOUS punch someone with a nuke and see them die due to radiation right in front of my face!

Need I go on?
You just don't get true spirit of Fallout. It's all about "Mega levels of violence".

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
sabishii said:
Locue said:
sabishii said:
Really? Do tell!

Need I go on?
Right. I'm gonna write you off as sarcastic. But if you're serious; oh well, that's the gene pool. :wink:

Vault Dweller

Developer
Durwyn said:
Vault Dweller said:

Fuck I just wonder... who's next? The pizza delivery guy who was their inspiration when creating PC father ?
They also hired a Fallout 3 designer whose dislike of Fallout and hatred of the Fallout community were legendary. Forgot his name. Briosafreak knows who I'm talking about.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Locue said:
sabishii said:
Locue said:
sabishii said:
Really? Do tell!

Need I go on?
Right. I'm gonna write you off as sarcastic. But if you're serious; oh well, that's the gene pool. :wink:
http://www.rpgcodex.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=19592

"It's been a decade since the original Fallout was released, and so much has changed about gaming, and games, that a new Fallout made like the originals would be largely unplayable, and deeply disappointing."

Vault Dweller

Developer
I've seen deeper cardboard cutouts.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom