Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Pete Hines interview at GameStar

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Tags: Bethesda Softworks; Fallout 3

<a href=http://www.gamestar.de>GameStar</a> has posted a <a href=http://www.gamestar.de/downloads/videos/trailer/rollenspiel/fallout_3/1473106/fallout_3.html>video interview</a> with Pete Hines. Here is a snippet:
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>Can the Oblivion engine, which you are using, is it actually useful for turn-based combat, could it do it?
<br>
<br>
I have no idea, 'cause we...I mean, it's just not something we ever seriously considered. You know, the Elder Scrolls isn't turn-based combat...and Fallout we just never really felt like that was a viable option. So at the end of the day we just felt like, if you're gonna do it in first-person, if you want it to be as immersive as possible, what kind of combat can we do that stays true to what Fallout presented in terms of tactical choice and being able to make decisions in combat and, you know, having that be really cool and memorable, but still do it in this immersive first- and third-person sort of over-the-shoulder perspective and that's ultimately what we went with.</blockquote>That's nice, dear.
<br>
<br>
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.nma-fallout.com">NMA</A>

Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming!
Haha.

You know, the Elder Scrolls isn't turn-based combat...and Fallout we just never really felt like that was a viable option
The Lord of Lies tells the truth for once, he propably lost focus for a few seconds and so this grain of truth slipped from his mouth.

Nice interview, at least 2 or 3 straightforward questions without cooksucking.
Imho Gamestar is a really shitty mag, but the guy doing the interview is one of the good ones.

As usual, Pete sounds like a broken tape. He says the same thing in every interview. I love how we can become more "intimate" with chairs now, since they are now fully fleshed out and not these 4 pixel things (WTF?) we know from previous Fallouts.

I also loved how he described Fallout's (1 !) graphics as high definition and state-of-the-art for their time, to justify the graphic whoring they are doing with FO 3.

aries202

Erudite
The full lip sync and facial animation when people talked to NPCs in Fallout were advanced tech stuff 10 years ago. In fact, it was one of the game's selling points, when it came to PR stuff.

The thing about the chairs is a little overdone, I think, and I still can't get my head around how playing 1st person makes a game more immersive or how viewing chairs now 40 pixel high instead of 4 pixel sigh, will get me more immersed in the game. There's a such a thing as people's own imagination,....

At least 2 questions were questions, he clearly didn't expect, especially the question aboyt the risk. He weaved a bit, but decided to say 'yes, this a risk, but...' I also liked that, he, finally, was honest about that they never intended to do turnbased combat.

I still want the wring someone's necj (figurativly speaking ;) of course) for coming up the most stupid main quest I've seen in a long time...

cuthbert

Novice
I wish they would just come out and say it's a fallout game in name-only. This whole charade of contradicting the original developers and never intending to keep the game as close to the original (except for the humor?) is getting old.

But I do find it interesting that it takes a a european press to ask the questions a real fan would ask.

Paranoid Jack

Scholar
Most of the Euro Press didn't get the all expenses paid junket to see the video, experience the whores (both Bethesda & off the street) & booze, and leave with the free schwag (bobble heads & vault 101 t-shirts for all). So they haven't been bought out yet like 99% of the US/Canadian/UK press was.

sabishii

Arbiter
aries202 said:
The full lip sync and facial animation when people talked to NPCs in Fallout were advanced tech stuff 10 years ago. In fact, it was one of the game's selling points, when it came to PR stuff.
Interesting comment. Look at how it is now. Does anyone give less than a shit about Fallout's amazing lip sync and facial animations? Nope. But, 10 years from now, what reason will there be to play Oblivion with its horribly substandard graphics?

Xerxos

Novice
TalesfromtheCrypt said:
Haha.

Imho Gamestar is a really shitty mag,...
Really?
I think in comparison to other game mags here in Germany it's still the best (not THE BEST, just better than the rest :wink: ).

Paranoid Jack

Scholar
sabishii said:
But, 10 years from now, what reason will there be to play Oblivion with its horribly substandard graphics?

There would be no reason to load it or even try to get it to run on Windows 2015. Besides the graphics there was little there. Nothing of substance... nothing to reminisce over that's fo' sho'... :cry:

As I see it anyone (even a graphics whore) can load up Fallout and get into it... even now. Unless they are just incapable or unwilling to dig deeper than the old school graphics. But then those type of people live to play console schwag and games of little substance... like Oblivion.

denizsi

Arcane
I also liked that, he, finally, was honest about that they never intended to do turnbased combat.

Finally? They were upfront about it day one, saying they wouldn't do a top-down iso game all of a sudden because that's not what they do. They never made false implications to give any hope to the dumbly optimistic, did they?

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Xerxos said:
TalesfromtheCrypt said:
Haha.

Imho Gamestar is a really shitty mag,...
Really?
I think in comparison to other game mags here in Germany it's still the best (not THE BEST, just better than the rest :wink: ).

PC Action, man. It's like the Codex in print. Or at least used to be, I don't have money for this anymore. I only buy the Eulenspiegel and the Titanic these days. :/

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Paranoid Jack said:
As I see it anyone (even a graphics whore) can load up Fallout and get into it... even now. Unless they are just incapable or unwilling to dig deeper than the old school graphics.

Heck, that's true.
I've convinced a friend of mine who is quite the graphics whore and FPS fan to play Fallout 2, and he's become an absolute fan of it. And he's become a Bethesda hater, too, for what they're going to do to the franchise. Well, he didn't like Oblivion either because it was just too plain easy and uncreative, so that helps.

If only everyone would be intelligent enough to appreciate good game design.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom