Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview EuroGamer previews Vampire: The Masquerade -- Bloodlines

Spazmo

Erudite
Tags: Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines

Those kooky brits at <a href="http://www.eurogamer.net/">EuroGamer</a> have an interesting <a href="http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=52904">preview</a> of <a href="http://www.troikagames.com">Troika</a>'s upcoming <b>Vampire: The Masquerade -- Bloodlines</b>.
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>But visual immersion would count for nought were it not for the narrative, and Troika has also borrowed a long forgotten concept from the world of adventure games: the conversation tree. But unlike the rather basic system of merely asking questions or selecting a response, used for years in old LucasArts classics, Bloodlines incorporates RPG elements into the conversation. For example, your character may have excellent seduction skills, or be part of a specific clan that allows you to ask questions or offer responses otherwise unavailable to you, and these 'special' branches of the conversation will be shown in a different font to indicate this. It's simple, but opens up wonderfully non-linear gameplay possibilities that we hope Troika can deliver on. In this sense, Bloodlines' interaction and narrative makes it look like a subtle reinvention of the adventure genre - a logical progression that LucasArts should have seen years ago, but blundered into a commercial cul-de-sac instead.</blockquote>
<br>
<br>
That's a little bit too much gushing for even me, Troika fanboy extraordinaire. It also seems to assume gameplay elements first introduced years ago in games like <a href="http://www.interplay.com/fallout/index/htm">Fallout</a> are new and revolutionary, which is odd to me. Nonetheless, it's good to see Bloodlines will have that lovely special Troika touch to it.
<br>
<br>
Spotted at <a href="http://www.rpgdot.com">RPGDot</a>

Psilon

Erudite
I happen to like my adventures and RPGs more or less distinct. Quest for Glory isn't bad, but I don't want The Longest Journey 2: Now We Mean "Longest" to exhibit stat-dependent dialogue options. LucasArts did the right thing. Except for EMI. That was a mistake.

protobob

Liturgist
Yeah it was a bit gushy.

I don't really care for the whole vampire setting, but I figure I'll give this game a while when it comes out.

First person perspective is a mixed bag. While it does provide immersion, combat tends to be too action oriented for an RPG.

For instance, It's hard to imagine first person turn based combat. I mean, it could be done...but still have a hard time imagining it.

Psilon

Erudite
See Wizardry 8 for an example of first-person phase-based combat. It's not quite TB, but it's very close in terms of interface.

Hell, given that it's $20 you really have no reason to pass it up.

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
protobob said:
First person perspective is a mixed bag. While it does provide immersion, combat tends to be too action oriented for an RPG.

I think it usually depends on how much you can go around it with a first person view on games. Quake is a no-brainer; Deus Ex makes it so you have to kill only 3 people; Morrowind leaves it to your discretion. I don't know how VtM:B will handle it, but im sure its possible to include non-standard combat (non-standard, as in not needing to use weapons all the time).

For instance, It's hard to imagine first person turn based combat. I mean, it could be done...but still have a hard time imagining it.

Like Psilon hinted at, definetely check out Wizardry 8 (and older Wizardries, if you can).

protobob

Liturgist
Yeah, I have played Wizardry 8, so I have seen fps turn based. Silly me.

I didn't get very far in that game though...just not my cup of tea.

Astromarine

Erudite
For example, your character may have excellent seduction skills, or be part of a specific clan that allows you to ask questions or offer responses otherwise unavailable to you, and these 'special' branches of the conversation will be shown in a different font to indicate this

Quick. Hide this from Skorpie ;)

Astro, who likes stirring shit for kicks

Psilon

Erudite
No, these aren't moron indicators. They're more like the "[Insight]" tags on occasional NWN conversations. As a result, it's perfectly OK to like these without running into trouble with moron indicators.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom