Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Age of Decadence Combat Peek at RPGVault

Calis

Pensionado
Tags: Age of Decadence; Iron Tower

RPGVault has published their <A HREF="http://rpgvault.ign.com/articles/809/809015p1.html" target="_blank">second peek at Age of Decadence</A>, the upcoming Gladiator-on-Gladiator-action RPG by Iron Tower Studios, a company founded by the man with the smallest penis in Canada.
<br>
The piece seems to be by the hand of said founder and lead designer, and includes 3:24 of combat footage from the game in .wmv format. As we've come to expect from these filthy developers, the article contains cheeky hype such as:
<br>
<blockquote>This article is dedicated to combat, so let me start with an important announcement for our fans. The game is no longer turn-based. Yes, we've finally seen the light and realized that turn-based combat is a feature of the past, a feature that was blindly carried over from board games, that evolved a long time ago into cinematic, real-time, next-generation battles. So, let's leave all that turn-based nonsense in the past and chess clubs, and embrace the next-generation future.
<br>
<br>
We call our new revolutionary combat mode "Xtreme". The recent advances in rocket science have allowed our engineers to slow down bullet-time significantly, achieving the above-mentioned and very next-generationy mode. It gives the player enough time to react and do all kinds of cool cinematic things in proper sequence. While to an untrained eye, it may seem that the game is still turn-based, we can assure you that you couldn't be more wrong, and what you are about to witness in the video accompanying this text is the cutting edge, Xtreme bullet time design of tomorrow.</blockquote>
<br>
Also, the lack of actual funny stuff in this news post makes the spirit of Spazmo weep.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Vince D. Weller failed. You don't just make up a revolutionary combat mode and call it Xtreme, that's so last-gen. As V.A.T.S. proved, you have to make an epic abbreviation of it for it to make sense.

For instance, I would refer to AoD's combat as E.P.I.C.

Extreme Pausing Interactive Combat. E.P.I.C.

dagorkan

Arbiter
Waiting for the video to d/l.

July 30, 2007 - In the centuries since the empire crumbled, no faction has achieved dominance; what exists is an unstable balance between true equilibrium and anarchy.
I thought balance was equilibrium... what is 'true equilibrium'?

The past is shrouded in mysteries, myths and fables, with few facts known.
Four words to say the same thing... a mystery, a myth, a fable and unknown facts.

A name on an ancient map sparks your interest, drawing you into machinations predicated upon longstanding disgruntlement and ignorance.
WTF?

You set out to explore the legends and the land, to learn what happened before civilization deteriorated. Or will you simply believe what you're told?
How many players are going to "simply believe what they're told"? Is this an actual option in the game, to purposefully not explore anything?

Either way, to determine your future and your world's, you must discover where the chart leads and what awaits there.
That's another weird phrase.

Nedrah

Erudite
It sure differs a bit from your usual dev describing the glory that is his new game - but I think the whole "the single purpose of the game is to kill everything that moves" joke went a bit over the top - you basically need to know the game and it's roots to really get it. Of course, you might actually trick some dumb fucks who are looking for the next akschon arpegee into handing you their moneys, thinking the whole AP thing propably has something to do with that new kick-ass FO3 system - so it's all good.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
@ Dagorkan:

That's RPG Vault's text, not mine.

As for the "believing what you are told" part, if you lack intelligence, you will believe what you are told. Otherwise, you'll be able to do some "figuring out".

dagorkan

Arbiter
Couple of comments...

No sound effects? Or did you turn them off to let us enjoy the music?

How about having your character turn towards an opponent attacking you? Looks a little strange you facing away from that one guy at the end while whacks away at you. Can you turn your character manually? Are there any bonuses for hitting somebody from the side/back?

Is there a way to 'pause at end of turn'? I don't like it when the game automatically switches to the enemies (when your AP reach zero), I'd prefer to manually give that order or toggle it on/off. Not a huge deal though.

I don't like the camera much. It looks like annoyance to have to adjust, and unnecessary.

Finally, what happens to your sword/x-bow while you're defending/dodging? It looks like it disappears, then re-appears when you attack again. Not a big deal to me, but I noticed it.

Luhh

Novice
I like your new combat engine. VASTly better than VATSthenameofthebethesdacrap.

V.A.S.T

Verbose Accosting Simulation Technology.

System requirements:
Basic reading skills, english 3rd grade or higher (Not included with the game!!!)

Bradylama

Arcane
It'd look great if it weren't for the combat flowing like molasses. I'm seconding the slider sentiment.

Inziladun

Magister
I agree with the sentiments about the speed. It seemed like it was moving in slo-mo.

Other than that, it looks great, the animations are suprisingly fluid(espiecally when you killed off that archer with the javelin). Maybe have it so the player faces attackees though? Looks kind of akward playing the dodge animation over and over when someone's slicing at your side/back.

But again, it looks great.

cuthbert

Novice
Hey VD do you know how your going to distribute your game yet? I think some of us would like to know where you can get it ahead of time. By the way I'm really looking forward to it, and keep up the good work.

Vault Dweller

Developer
My bad.

dagorkan said:
Couple of comments...

No sound effects? Or did you turn them off to let us enjoy the music?
No sound effects at the moment. It may change or it may not.

How about having your character turn towards an opponent attacking you?
We'll try.

Looks a little strange you facing away from that one guy at the end while whacks away at you. Can you turn your character manually?
Yes.

Are there any bonuses for hitting somebody from the side/back?
No.

Is there a way to 'pause at end of turn'?
Not at the moment.

Finally, what happens to your sword/x-bow while you're defending/dodging? It looks like it disappears, then re-appears when you attack again. Not a big deal to me, but I noticed it.
We'll see if we can improve it.

fastpunk

Arbiter
Ah, finally, a combat video. All this talk about AoD made me curious. And what do you know, it looks really nice!

Any chance of a dialog video anytime soon?

Anyway, congrats to Iron Tower for doing a fine job so far. :)

Sovard

Sovereign of CDS
I would just like to say a few things...

First off, the spear in the chest made me say, "Yarrrr!" out loud (yol?)

Also, the music was great. Did we ever get a name of the composer who is doing it?

A couple of gripes, the dodge animation basically looks like he's in a movie chase scene and is hitting the brakes at the edge of a cliff. It'll get old watching that, but it's not a terrible concern. Perhaps a mere shift of weight away from the attacker and high arms, but no jazz hands, would work.

The combat seemed very much to be a slow continuous turn-based type of deal. Are actions queued? I think the ability to queue actions with a "clear" for the backlog might help, but may also take away from the involvement in combat. Basically it's just real-time with sluggish pace and no pause, then? Hmm.

It would be great to have options. A continuous turn-based with a pace slider and pausing/queues might be nice (as it incorporates many elements and allows players to choose their poison.)

It'll be a nice compromise between the "It's too fast!" and "It's too slow!" crowds, but you'll probably get that either way.

All in all, still very interested in many future yollings I'll have.

Vault Dweller

Developer
The dodge animation will be replaced. The overall pace will be improved (faster animations, running instead of walking, etc).

Sitra Achara

Arcane
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Vault Dweller said:
The dodge animation will be replaced. The overall pace will be improved (faster animations, running instead of walking, etc).

Just out of curiousity, were these changes already planned or are they a result of the feedback?

Netherium19

Novice
No bloom, not fully 3D, and no voice actors? Come on, where is Pat Stewart!?!? OMFG...And too slow!! NO action!!! :*(

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom