Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Fallout humor lives!

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Tags: Bethesda Softworks; Fallout 3

This newspost is dedicated to all those professional journalists who are doing their best to keep us informed about games in development. :salute:
<br>
<br>
<blockquote><b>Firing Squad</b>: For E3 demo reasons we skipped this event and proceeded over to the vault entrance, encountering a funny robot who sounded a bit like Monty Python's Graham Chapman (right down to the "stupid git" farewell we got from him). It's clear from this standpoint and other aspects of the demo that Fallout 3 will indeed have a lot of humor like the first two games had which is certainly encouraging for long time Fallout fans.
<br>
<br>
<b>Gaming Trend</b>: As you pass by, Mr Hand comments how the blue jumpsuit compliments your eyes, but then mumbles under his breath that you are a “Stupid Git”. Plenty of Fallout humor to go around.
<br>
<br>
<b>The Escapist</b>: Then look (the vault is surprisingly familiar), feel (guns, ammunition and violence all have the same "grit" as before) and humor (Mr. Handy calls you a stupid git behind your back) of the Fallout world has survived, been updated and made new.
<br>
<br>
<b>Gamer Node</b>: It was at that point we ran into Mr. Handy. "Good day new sir!" the cheerful robot chimes. "If I may be so bold the blue in the bolt suit contrasts BEAUTIFULLY with your eyes!" As Mr. Handy moves away, he mutters, "you stupid git." Oh, Mr. Handy!
<br>
<br>
Here is the rest of the <a href=http://www.firingsquad.com/news/newsarticle.asp?searchid=16614>Firing Squad article</a>:
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>...it's clear that Bethesda Softworks is pretty deep in development on Fallout 3 and even though the game won't be released until the fall of 2008 it's also clear that their ideas fit right into the Fallout universe.</blockquote>Have you even played Fallout? Or paid attention during the presentation?
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>Yes, some Fallout fans will likely be upset that the game is designed as a first person title and is set on the East Coast but that's nitpicking in our eyes. The real test of Fallout 3 will be if the game keeps the humorous spirit of the top down first two Fallout games with the high end graphics and immersive gameplay...</blockquote>Well, then we have nothing to worry about. I think it's clear that the "humorous spirit" is very much alive and kicking.
<br>
<br>
*mutters "You stupid git"...
<br>
<br>

psycojester

Arbiter
We'd be in a much better place it gaming journalists would stop pretending their anything other than retarded twitch kiddies, its blatantly obvious they've never played fallout and are just going along with what Bethesda tells then is "classic Fallout" in a futile attempt to sound knowledgeable.

gc051360

Scholar
As soon as I heard "Bullies at your 10th birthday party" I was sold. Funniest thing I'd heard in a while.

Then I found out they were serious, and it made me scared.

Paranoid Jack

Scholar
You must have missed the comment about crawling around in Vault 101 as a toddler?

Yeah, they got it all in F3. We get to start the game as a sperm entering your mothers vagina. You begin picking traits/abilities/stats as soon as she pops you out. You get to play a tutorial and shape your character as he grows and matures until age eighteen when you finally get to leave the fucking Vault.

From the sound of it they have hours of entertainment (FPS action/adventure/RPG-lite) just packed into the Vault 101 section of the game. I think they said they are aiming for about twenty hours for the main quest... I mean story arc. And another twenty of side quests. And unknown amount of hours filled of exploration... if I remember Emil stated most of that in an IGN interview from E3. (I dare you to take a drink of any liquid ever single time he says, "you know". If you and your friends are tired of playing other drinking games and have enough beer give it a go. You know?)

I can't wait. I am saving up now to pre-order copies for everyone on my block, all my family and friends, and everyone else who has never played either of the original games. They are going to love this shit...

almondblight

Arcane
psycojester said:
We'd be in a much better place it gaming journalists would stop pretending their anything other than retarded twitch kiddies, its blatantly obvious they've never played fallout and are just going along with what Bethesda tells then is "classic Fallout" in a futile attempt to sound knowledgeable.

I love that they all call themselves die hard Fallout fans. Hey, does anyone think that there knowledge of Fallout might have come from clips or demos of the first 2 games? I can see Bethesda showing them a clip of the shit explosion in the second game and saying..."see, the original games had a great humor...though as you can see, the graphics and gameplay are now dated". Which every journalist seems to have copied verbatim in all their articles.

psycojester

Arbiter
Well at least the humour seems to be honest stupidity and a fundamental failure to understand the games than a cynical attempt to dumb the games down in order to appeal to the twitch-shooter crowd.

I assume that Todd is a big fan of the Mr. Hands video, hence why the robot is named Mr. Handy.

gc051360

Scholar
So....the robot you meet is British, and your father is Irish??

I love that they all call themselves die hard Fallout fans. Hey, does anyone think that there knowledge of Fallout might have come from clips or demos of the first 2 games? I can see Bethesda showing them a clip of the shit explosion in the second game and saying..."see, the original games had a great humor...though as you can see, the graphics and gameplay are now dated". Which every journalist seems to have copied verbatim in all their articles.
Gameplay may be a little dated. Which is why you update it. Update does not mean fundamentally change it, and transform it to meet the criteria of the mass market. It's really not that complicated. You don't play Halo to get ideas for a Fallout game.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
cuthbert said:
What the fuck is a "git"? Did i miss the part where fallout was known for it's brittish humor?
Fallout 2?

Anyways this is depressing. I don't think it really would be so hard to recapture Fallout, you just have to spend 5 minutes thinking instead of throwing out the first thing that comes to your mind at a meeting and having all the twerps who can't think of anything better going, "That's a great idea!"

Micmu

Magister
As you pass by, Mr Hand comments how the blue jumpsuit compliments your eyes, but then mumbles under his breath that you are a “Stupid Git”.
Wow, awesome!

Pointless, when fuckheads dumbed out the INT dependant dialogue.

sportforredneck said:
I assume that Todd is a big fan of the Mr. Hands video, hence why the robot is named Mr. Handy.

No, I think that's probably because there's a Mr Handy in Fallout 1's opening sequence and military base.

EvilManagedCare

Liturgist
Even worse is how game designers insist on inserting either British phrases (this would of course only apply to non-British developers) or lines from various Monty Python movies to show their legions of fans how geek-chic they are. Because what would a Fallout game be without wacky catch-phrases like "stupid git" or a delightful vignette from Holy Grail: "I'm not a robot, I'm a shrubbery " LOLZORZ u r a nubzorz!!11111 ?

Ooh, even better and more immersive (even moreso than first person perspective) will be having various NPCs outside the Vault spout off "stupid git". I would lawl so hard. I would lawl even harder after I shot the offending NPC with my magical rock, Barbie Doll head and/or CD shooting cannon nuclear gun.

Section8

Cipher
Googling "Geek Sheik" certainly yields some interesting results.

star_wars_babe-thumb.jpg

She could stand to gain a few kegs. She must be stubbornly refusing to eat frogs out of Jabba's bongwater.

MF

The Boar Studio
Patron
Developer
Can anyone point me to a scene in Fallout (not Fallout 2) where this 'humor' or any kind of humor beyond that present in the overall setting is displayed?

Apart from the Vault Boy and descriptions, I don't recall any. Fallout was a pretty serious game despite all the awesome kitsch.

Krafter

Scholar
Awesome. You can't make this stuff up.

'Nitpicking?' Are they serious? Wanting a sequel to stay to it's roots is 'nitpicking?' I'm convinced that these guys are all ADD hacks that haven't played a video game from before 2003. Fallout fans, my ass.

Funny thing is, if you turned things the other way, like a popular shooter into a turn-based DS game, there would be a ton of 'nitpicking', I'd bet.

More Leia pics are fine, too.

Mamon

Scholar
MF said:
Can anyone point me to a scene in Fallout (not Fallout 2) where this 'humor' or any kind of humor beyond that present in the overall setting is displayed?

Apart from the Vault Boy and descriptions, I don't recall any. Fallout was a pretty serious game despite all the awesome kitsch.

And why not FO2? Because if we give examples of FO2 your agenda wouldn´t be fulfilled.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
There was one thing in Fallout 2 where the humor was a success. Maybe it was Fallout 1 but I think it was 2. Whenever you inspect a table in level 2 (dorms) of one of the Vaults, it tells you that tables are for people to eat off of.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom