Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Chris Avellone dialogue monologue

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Tags: Chris Avellone; Obsidian Entertainment

Many moons ago I asked Chris to answer a few questions for our <a href=http://www.rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=148>dialogue interview</a>. Chris was too busy at that time, but promised to do it in the future. Unfortunately, he lost the questions, but being too proud to admit that, he wrote a <a href=http://www.rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=154>monologue about dialogues</a> instead.
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>As a "twist," I’m going to do this interview primarily through visuals, which is how I think game interactions should be in the first place - mostly because a good chunk of human dialogue is essentially communicated non-verbally anyway.</blockquote>Enjoy!
<br>

spacemoose

Erudite
hmm that certainly did not improve my opinion of MCA.

use characters and branching? well no shit. compared to the amount of effort put into his blog entry this was a snub. eh, not like he owes anyone anything.

I think it comes from the near-worship he gets here. makes people uncomfortable and dismissive of their fans

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Why are the images hosted on ImageShack and not here...?

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
With no offence meant in any direction, your (sparse) comments are really a detraction, VD. Annoying.

Then again, this is more funny than useful anywayz.

Vault Dweller

Developer
DarkUnderlord said:
Why are the images hosted on ImageShack and not here...?
That's where Chris hosted them. He gave me both links and the images, but I was too lazy to upload them here.

Brother None said:
With no offence meant in any direction, your (sparse) comments are really a detraction, VD. Annoying.
Well, a) the comments aren't offensive, b) that's something Chris started awhile ago (he was the one who added all the comments there from different emails), and c) I showed him the comments, he was ok with them.

Severian Silk

I think VD has the impulsive urge to have the last word in everything. Hence, the blurbs in an otherwise one-sided article.

I find his pictures entertaining, and anyway it was good that Miller's Crossing was one of his choices.

Vault Dweller

Developer
@ Mikail:

com·men·ta·tor (kŏm'ən-tā'tər) Pronunciation Key
n.

1. A broadcaster or writer who reports and analyzes events in the news.
2. One who writes or delivers a commentary or commentaries.

Sovard

Sovereign of CDS
I thought it was very entertaining.

Sometimes people need to remember that's what games are about- entertainment. Not everything has to be a renaissance.

Zomg

Arbiter
Eh, I was amused. If he didn't want to make an attempt to be interesting with some "theory of dialog" answers then this is at least free entertainment.

Bradylama

Arcane
If MCA was looking for dialogue heroes why not Doctor Who? :(

Sounds like he needs a crash course.

Jason

chasing a bee
Good stuff. Nothing enlightening, but it made me laugh a few times.

Leaving the images on ImageShack is not such a hot idea since the article is now at Chris' mercy. A few months from now he may absent-mindedly delete the pics and the article will be gutted. Then how will our children and our children's children enjoy the magic of stick figures?

Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming!
So can't you guys just save the pics to your HD and then upload them to the codex server? I dont think MCA will sue you because of copyright violation eh?

Araanor

Liturgist
You know, MCA, you might have a knack for this stuff. Maybe you should ditch your unrewarding job as a design monkey and start a web comic. You'd make it big!

Bluebottle

Erudite
Patron
Dead State Wasteland 2
CodexDevil.png

Sisay

Liturgist
fastpunk said:
Anyway, thanks VD for the link to that old interview with Chris. It's quite an interesting read.

I think that one really should be fixed by now. It's a bit silly half the interview is in the news post making it easy to miss. As for this one, I was hoping for a bit more in terms of content but at least Chris' drawings were funny as always.

aries202

Erudite
I found the sketches very funny and strkingly amusing :) But then, I'm a visual sorts of guy myself, so I love to see people making little cartoons and drawing something when they to explain something.

And Chris A. does a really good job :) --- on explaining dialogue in -- eh - games.

His sense of self-humour is great, take a look at his explanation of what an action RPG is :lol: :D

Priceless :D

Texas Red

Whiner
That was a fun read... er... watch or something. Anyway, entertaining.

aries202 said:
But then, I'm a visual sorts of guy myself, so I love to see people making little cartoons and drawing something when they to explain something.

:Redding is teh hard: :)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom