Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview How many nukes does it take to kill a mutant?

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Tags: Bethesda Softworks; Fallout 3

<a href=http://gamingtrend.com/Articles/articles.php?artID=267>Apparently, five nukes</a>. Gaming Trend's Ron Burke, a proud recipient of the prestigious "True Patriot" award, wrote a very detailed preview of Fallout 3 and then answered a <a href=http://www.bethsoft.com/bgsforums/index.php?showtopic=732271>truckload of questions</a> on the official forums.
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>Fighting in real time made me wince in fear that Fallout 3 could easily be Oblivion with guns. Todd allayed this fear by reminding us that our stats govern our weapon effectiveness...</blockquote>Didn't Oblivion have stats too?
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>Moving away from combat, Todd showed us the city of Megaton. This city was formed in the crater of a nuclear bomb that fell but didn’t go off. </blockquote>The CRATER of an UNEXPLODED nuclear bomb? Makes sense.
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>Entering the town you are greeted by the town Sherriff / Mayor Lucas Simms. Given that this was the last day of E3, Todd was quite tired of playing the nice guy and remarked to the sheriff “Nice hat Calamity Jane”. Our sheriff turned surly rather quickly and warned “This is my town – you so much as breathe wrong and I’m gonna fucking end you.”
<br>
<br>
It was here that we met up with the Brotherhood of Steel. One yelled “That’s how we do it in Alliance Pride, you fuckin’ freaks!” as he gunned down mutants across the street from him. </blockquote>Looks like the dialogues are inspired by Fallout: Tactics' fine writing.
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>Well, they build mutants a little bigger in Fallout 3 – a mutant behemoth roamed around the corner, utilizing a car door as an arm shield and some sort of basket strapped to his back to hold his overly large weapon. Pulling the Fat Man from our shoulder pack, we launched several explosives roughly the size of footballs at the feet of the behemoth, making light work of the creature – it only took 5 nukes. Debris, smoke, and some of the most amazing particle effects seen to date blew through the area as our nukes ripped the mutant and the ground underneath apart. You have to see it to believe it. </blockquote>It only took 5 nukes? Anyway, here are some fun facts:
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>Naturally we simply juice up on Mentats (Drugs) to boost our repair skill enough to place the charge, dooming the town of Megaton.
<br>
<br>
A local station called <b>Enclave</b> Station played one of the 20+ licensed tracks...
<br>
<br>
The behemoth creature... If I recall correctly I'd estimate he was 30+ feet tall.
<br>
<br>
I seem to recall their being a HUD of sorts in the bottom right that had several arrows on a compass.</blockquote>Discuss!
<br>
<br>
Edit: Also, apparently, you can buy a house in Fallout 3, according to a Swedish mag, and, according to a German mag, that BoS encounter was scripted, which is what we stated originally.
<br>
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.nma-fallout.com">NMA</A>
<br>
Thanks, Relien

Shannow

Waster of Time
The CRATER of an UNEXPLODED nuclear bomb? Makes sense.
Either a VERY LARGE bomb or a VERY small town.

:roll:

Edit:
It was here that we met up with the Brotherhood of Steel. One yelled “That’s how we do it in Alliance Pride, you fuckin’ freaks!” as he gunned down mutants across the street from him.

Looks like the dialogues are inspired by Fallout: Tactics' fine writing.
It's been some time, but did the Brotherhood there also sound like fucking redneck, nazi assholes? Were you able to conquer nations with necro...ah...R.O.B.O.T.S.? I can't remember if I wiped out humanity but considering the quote it seems probable.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Vault Dweller said:
I seem to recall their being a HUD of sorts in the bottom right that had several arrows on a compass.

Well.. it's a console game, after all.
Mentally challenged people don't like to find a way themselves....

Gee... Why not simply have a map and a mark on that map, which shows the place you want/have to go to.
That would be more or less the same, but you wouldn't have to look on a goddamn compass with arrows all the time... >.<

Ladonna

Arcane
Its funny...

I remember when the first codex predictions were bandied around, many people from elsewhere slammed the notion that Fallout3 would be anything like Oblivion. Even Summer said something to that effect. All had faith that Bethesda would do things right, and since all these people scoffed at the idea that Oblivionout would be the way it turned out, the only conclusion to take away is that most believed it should NOT be like Oblivion.

Now that things are turning out incredibly similar, everyone is more or less saying 'Oh, yes, thats the way Fallout should be!!'.

I haven't payed such attention to a game campaign before this one. The flip flopping is amazing, as are the bald face lies, and the legions that attack a Fallout fan on sight in other forums. Its almost impossible to admit you are one without having bricks and things thrown at your head.

Hellraiser

Arcane
God damnit the designers at bethesda set new records when it comes to retarded ideas.
I mean honestly a town in a crater of an unexploded bomb? Unless the damn town is just 5 tents around a bomb then I don't see how could you fit a town inside a crater made by a kinetic impact of a several ton object. It makes no bloody sense, well unless the bombs it wasn't the bomb's power but it's weight that was in megatons :)

JrK

Prophet
Vault Dweller said:
I seem to recall their being a HUD of sorts in the bottom right that had several arrows on a compass.

RUUUUUUUUUUUUUAAAAAAAGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHRRRAAARRGGGGGGGG
ADGLD;SKJG;ALKGJAL;KJG;ALKG;AG;KJL;AGJKL;;JAG;JLKGJKLS;JLKGSDGSKD;JGI;OETUIPOQETOUPOIVBVBFV

DESTROY!!!!!~!`1~!!~~!!~!~!!~~!!~~! :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Krafter

Scholar
Ladonna said:
Now that things are turning out incredibly similar, everyone is more or less saying 'Oh, yes, thats the way Fallout should be!!'.
It's almost like they were full of crap the whole time, like we said they were. Funny that.

LOL @ Quest compass. I'm surprised they are even using letters and words, given Bethesda's new target audience.

Micmu

Magister
5 nukes to kill a creature? Crater of an unexploded bomb?

Is this some kind of bizarro preview or is this game really that fucked? :lol:

Araanor

Liturgist
Maybe the bomb went off, er, partly, then too much dust got into it and it fizzled.

yns88

Novice
Araanor said:
Maybe the bomb went off, er, partly, then too much dust got into it and it fizzled.

If that's the case, wouldn't the crater be too radioactive for anyone in their right mind to form a society around it?

Wait, even if the bomb hadn't gone off, why would any sane person want to get anywhere near the thing? This would only make sense if the entire population of the town were mutants, a la that mutant town in Fallout 2 (it's been too long for me to remember its name).

fastpunk

Arbiter
Vault Dweller said:
Fighting in real time made me wince in fear that Fallout 3 could easily be Oblivion with guns. Todd allayed this fear by reminding us that our stats govern our weapon effectiveness...

What an idiotic statement! It's not like Oblivion didn't have stats...

Vault Dweller said:
Moving away from combat, Todd showed us the city of Megaton. This city was formed in the crater of a nuclear bomb that fell but didn’t go off.

:shock: :shock: :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: They must have been up all night thinking about this one!!! :lol: This is definitely the most idiotic thing I've heard so far about FO3. :lol:

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Ladonna said:
I remember when the first codex predictions were bandied around, many people from elsewhere slammed the notion that Fallout3 would be anything like Oblivion.
Ah, but the true greatness lies in all those people who still insist that Fallout 3 is like, totally different than Oblivion.

Breaking News!
IGN's Best of E3 award for Best RPG: Fallout 3 (X360)

Bethesda is making a fantastic next-gen RPG for the Xbox360, beating even Bioware's Masturbation Effect.
I wonder, since everyone seems to agree that FO3 will be a great improvement over Oblivion, will it get 11/10 ratings along with its rave reviews?

Shannow

Waster of Time
yns88 said:
Araanor said:

If that's the case, wouldn't the crater be too radioactive for anyone in their right mind to form a society around it?

Wait, even if the bomb hadn't gone off, why would any sane person want to get anywhere near the thing? This would only make sense if the entire population of the town were mutants, a la that mutant town in Fallout 2 (it's been too long for me to remember its name).
In the retard's universe radiation disperses shortly after nuclear explosions. Haven't you been paying attention? It makes sense: the radio-active material's mass is transformed into energy so there is nothing left that could give of radiation.
It is not as if new born citizens of Hiroshima and Nagasaki were still suffering from diseases that relate to high amounts of radiation.

I have a new theory for the bomb crater:
An alien race, let's call them "bugs", were the cause of the war. Since they managed to see into the future they knew where a new kind of bacteria would develop that could kill them. They also knew that mankind would develop a time maschine with which they could send back a manlike robot, a (bug) terminator, carrying those bacteria back to the past as a weapon against those "bugs". (Bugs to kill bugs, hehe)
By coincidence bacteria, time maschine scientist and manlike robot would all come from the city of megaton. So the "bugs" develop a cunning plan: send a bomb to the place that would become megaton. Since the heavy bomb comes from outer space its impulse is large enough to cause a crater big and beautiful enough to be populated. Thus megaton is built.
Now all the "bugs" have to do is wait for the vault dweller to enter the city, brainwash a shady looking guy in the corner of a bar and supply an apple computer (the only human computer that can interface with alien technology).

corvax

Augur
5 nukes? But then again it also took few shots from your ROCKET LAUNCHER to kill a mutie in both Fallout 1 and 2. Anyway, as long as I can buy a house, play dress up, and have a hot steamy romance with a ghoul (hey it's just like eating prunes when you go down) I'm happy. Also if I could drive around and listed to licensed music on my radio like in Grand Theft Auto: Necropolis I'd be really stoked but that might be just too much to ask for.

Fallout 3 is not Fallout. Get over it folks, I did.

Vault Dweller said:
The behemoth creature... If I recall correctly I'd estimate he was 30+ feet tall.
Giant murderous supermutants. I wonder if they can even talk at all or if they just scream like a retarded child.

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Mutants generally died of a single direct rocket hit in Fallout... often including Mutants standing close.

Also... one is a rocket. The other is a nuke. A NUKE.
Remember Independence Day? When an enemy survives a direct hit with a nuke, that's seriously bad news. Imagine the Death Star firing its superlaser at a starship without effect.

Man, that would be an awesome weapon for Fallout 3: A mini-Deathstar circling around the player, shooting enemies with its superlaser. Comes with cinematic firing sequence and "flaming ring of fire" special effect.

Black

Arcane
fastpunk said:
They must have been up all night thinking about this one!!! :lol: This is definitely the most idiotic thing I've heard so far about FO3. :lol:
Give them some time, they will blow your mind far, far away.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Black said:
fastpunk said:
They must have been up all night thinking about this one!!! :lol: This is definitely the most idiotic thing I've heard so far about FO3. :lol:
Give them some time, they will blow your mind far, far away.

When I think about such story flaws, I already feel my mind wander far, far away...

pkt-zer0

Scholar
Behemoth was critically hit in the groin with a nuke, inflicting 2 damage.

corvax

Augur
Claw said:
Mutants generally died of a single direct rocket hit in Fallout... often including Mutants standing close.

Also... one is a rocket. The other is a nuke. A NUKE.

Generally? Generally mutants had more hit points than you could do damage for with a rocket launcher. I'd say it's more like once in a while with an aimed shot to the eyes. Rocket, nuke...and who's to say that you are shooting pure nuke material. The point is that both go beyond realistic, like shooting dudes 3 times in the eyes just to kill them. It's a game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom