Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Jeff Green assures us that Fallout 3 is in the right hands

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Tags: Bethesda Softworks; Fallout 3

Jeff Green, the industry's veteran and GFW (formerly known as Computer Gaming World) Editor has shared his <a href=http://www.1up.com/do/blogEntry?bId=8260722&publicUserId=5380367>Fallout 3 impressions</a> with us.
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>As others have reported, Bethesda seems to have done something kinda miraculous in terms of recapturing the original games' look and feel while simultaneously transforming it into a modern, 1st-person world. It reminds me, kind of, of the way Blizzard transformed the 2D, tabletop strategy look of the early WarCraft games into the 3D, you're-soaking-in-it World of WarCraft. Bethesda has taken Interplay's late 90s isometric RPG and swooped the camera down to the ground (though you can still angle it upwards)to put us right in that burned-out post-apocalyptic universe--and, at least as far as the demo goes, it's freakin' revelatory. I had no idea going into it how Bethesda was going to pull off the SPECIAL system, the PiPBoy "PDA" device, and, most importantly, the turn-based combat that was at the heart of the original games, but dang if Bethesda isn't making a smart, thoughtful, and faithful go of it. It actually looks like, if you wanted to, you could play through parts of the game in a more real-time "shooter" way, but clearly players are going to get huge advantages by going into the "V.A.T.S" system (Vault-tec Assisted Targeting System), in which you pause the action, and, as in the original games, target specific enemy body parts, the success of which operates on percentages, and the damage of which can be extraordinary.
<br>
<br>
Most important, right now, is what others have said about this work-in-progress: that Bethesda has captured the essence of what made the originals so unique: the odd juxtaposition of apocalyptic future nightmare with retro-50s kitsch, folksy humor mixed with mutant monsters, --a creative challenge that in the wrong hands could be utterly cheeseball, but that Bethesda is so far recreating beautifully. </blockquote>Discuss.
<br>
<br>
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.nma-fallout.com">NMA</A>

Bossman

Educated
I had no idea going into it how Bethesda was going to pull off the SPECIAL system, the PiPBoy "PDA" device, and, most importantly, the turn-based combat that was at the heart of the original games, but dang if Bethesda isn't making a smart, thoughtful, and faithful go of it.

Bethesda has captured the essence of what made the originals so unique: the odd juxtaposition of apocalyptic future nightmare with retro-50s kitsch, folksy humor mixed with mutant monsters, --a creative challenge that in the wrong hands could be utterly cheeseball, but that Bethesda is so far recreating beautifully.

I definitely want some of that shit he's smoking.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Further proof that we really do need to initiate that rain Travis was talking about way back in 1976.

VonVentrue

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Re: Jeff Green assures us that Fallout 3 is in the right han

If idiocy could fly, this guy would be a pigeon...

Erzherzog

Magister
He's comparing WoW to the Warcraft series the same way he looks at Fallout 3 compared to the first two.

Oh my. That analogy just doesn't work in so many ways.

Jed

Cipher
Why would anyone want to angle the camera upward? Is the in-game sky that interesting?

Texas Red

Whiner
For fucks sake there are dozens of shooters out there for the idiots to enjoy. Leave THIS game, this single game, out of the bullshitery! No, its not faithful to the series, fuckwit.

I cant fucking understand how people in this time and age are still impressed shiny grafix. After so many games one would assume that this fad would be over, but no... Its like you could tell these guys the same joke ten times and they would always laugh at it.

Pegultagol

Erudite
Seems like nothing more than regurgitation of PR releases to me. I like how after he lays out the vague empty praises and by the numbers impressions retreats to the comfort of the general consensus of his console brethren majority who were commissioned to be Bethesda shills and confirm more or less indirectly that it will be nothing but beautiful cheeseball.

Ladonna

Arcane
Hivemind? Are we all supposed to be the hivemind? :lol:

After the all the previews that have appeared, the textbook meaning of a hivemind is becoming apparent, and It ain't here.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Wolfenstein1942 said:
He's comparing WoW to the Warcraft series the same way he looks at Fallout 3 compared to the first two.

Oh my. That analogy just doesn't work in so many ways.

It does.

Warcraft Strategy games > World of Warcraft.
Fallout one and two > Fallout 3.

Also, in both cases the new game is of a completely different genre. In one case it's MMORPG, in the other case an FPS.
In both cases the gameplay is radically changed and also kinda dumbed down.
Also, in both cases the fanbois prefer the new game, while the real fans prefer the old series.

cuthbert

Novice
I tried to ask jeff what he thought of bethsoft failing to answer if you could beat the game without killing anyone but he ignored me. Then he mentions me in this weeks gfw podcast where he cherry picks the my criticism I had mentioned and he and the rest of the staff pretty much do what you expect and rant about fanboys and how they're unreasonable. They also mentioned how fallout 3 has the same humor and it's me seeing through rose colored glasses (god i hate that phrase) that doesn't see it.

Joe Krow

Erudite
If there is enough focus on the roleplaying aspects of the game it might still be decent. I'd hoped for more but I would be content with Morrowind with guns. It can't be any worse then BoS.

cuthbert

Novice
Joe Krow said:
If there is enough focus on the roleplaying aspects of the game it might still be decent. I'd hoped for more but I would be content with Morrowind with guns. It can't be any worse then BoS.
Thats not saying much. I'm mean thats pretty much the bottom of the barrel.

Joe Krow

Erudite
Bradylama said:
Hey yeah, it might be better than shit. Things are looking up.
Yeah well...

I'm a little more forgiving then some of you. I don't really give a fuck about the "Fallout canon" so they can screw with that all day. What I do care about is how much impact my actual character will have (stats, decisions, etc.) and how little they insist on holding my hand. They've said some positive things so far...we'll see. If it has depth i'll enjoy it. If it's like Bethesda's more recent releases I will not.

pkt-zer0

Scholar

Most important, right now, is what others have said about this work-in-progress: that Bethesda has captured the essence of what made the originals so unique: the odd juxtaposition of apocalyptic future nightmare with retro-50s kitsch, folksy humor mixed with mutant monsters, --a creative challenge that in the wrong hands could be utterly cheeseball, but that Bethesda is so far recreating beautifully.

Well, the guys at Beth are pretty good at concealing the fact they're being faithful to the series, anyway.

Retro fifties mini-nukes, huh.

RGE

Liturgist
Jed said:
Why would anyone want to angle the camera upward? Is the in-game sky that interesting?
Yes it is. The Enclave is still around, and if you don't listen to their radio show they'll send vertibirds who'll drop dead brahmins on your head. Hm. Wonder if there'll be any live brahmins in FO3? A ruined city doesn't seem like a suitable place for them, but if there aren't any, how could they possibly take their game seriously? Brahmins are a must for Fallout! :o (Moo, they say!)

But I'm not negative. The game is going to be awesome, and I'm going to buy it as soon as the Codex has reviewed it and given it a top score. :D

Texas Red

Whiner
Joe Krow said:
Bradylama said:
Hey yeah, it might be better than shit. Things are looking up.
Yeah well...

I'm a little more forgiving then some of you. I don't really give a fuck about the "Fallout canon" so they can screw with that all day. What I do care about is how much impact my actual character will have (stats, decisions, etc.) and how little they insist on holding my hand. They've said some positive things so far...we'll see. If it has depth i'll enjoy it. If it's like Bethesda's more recent releases I will not.

Stat impact, eh? Thats a good one. Did you hear that you can lower your intelligence to 1 without an impact to dialogs or anything else? YAY powergaming! This is fucking dumb. In previous Fallouts not only did it have an impact on your dialogs but the game played drastically differently.

doctor_kaz

Scholar
Combat in this game simply does not sound fun. I'm not just saying that because I wanted to see an isometric turn-based game. Die roll type targeting in a first person game just sounds like crap. This VATS system sounds like it will turn the combat into Kotor without lighstabers. If they want to make targeted shots easier to make with your skill level, then I would much rather see them use in-game indicators, like a tighter targeting reticule or less kick from the weapon. I would much rather have a fully real-time skill-based combat like Bioshock or Deus Ex than a hybrid system that won't satisfy anyone.

cuthbert

Novice
I'd like to know exactly what you find so positive so far Joe Krow i hope its not the whole blow up the nuke in megaton and the radiation dissipating in a few minutes instead of hundreds of years (which is where the whole fallout shelter idea comes from) but hey who needs continuity.

Joe Krow

Erudite
cuthbert said:
I'd like to know exactly what you find so positive so far Joe Krow i hope its not the whole blow up the nuke in megaton and the radiation dissipating in a few minutes instead of hundreds of years (which is where the whole fallout shelter idea comes from) but hey who needs continuity.
Ill concieved choices are still choices, no? I'm not going to nit-pic the plot holes untill we get some more info. Though, I gotta admit, that sounds pretty dumb.

fastpunk

Arbiter

Vault Dweller said:
a creative challenge that in the wrong hands could be utterly cheeseball, but that Bethesda is so far recreating beautifully.

Oh, thank God for Bethesda! :roll:

Section8

Cipher
something kinda miraculous

Whenever I see something kinda miraculous, my tendency is to doubt my own perceptions, how 'bout you? If I saw Genghis Khan walking down the street, I'd be thinking - "Holy fucking shit! That's Genghis Khan! What the hell is Genghis Khan doing in some backwoods Aussie town, centuries after his death? Oh wait, it's probably just someone who looks a little bit like him."

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom