Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News The Witcher delayed

Ausir

Arcane
Tags: CD Projekt; Witcher, The

As <a href=http://www.cdprojekt.com>CD Projekt</a> has announced on the Polish version of their game's website, release date of <a href=http://www.thewitcher.com>The Witcher</a>, initially slated for September, has been moved to October 26, as they feel they need more time for testing the game and getting rid of bugs, due to the length of the game (which they estimate to be 50 hours for the main quest and 90 hours with most of the side quests).
<br>
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.thewitcher.com/community/pl/news/75.html">CD Projekt</A>

Bradylama

Arcane
They should take all the time they need. Nobody should live through another Gothic 3 debacle.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
I'm still convinced it'll be the best game ever so I won't post anything about the vague statements that the developers decided to make the game longer and it's the reason for the delay.

Elwro

Arcane
MOVE ALONG THERE'S NOTHING TO SEE HERE

And, actually, I meant that a decision to sizably extend the game only a few months before the release date is a bad sign.

Ausir

Arcane
They're not extending the game. They just decided to test it more because of how long it is (and it's longer than they initially estimated). They're not adding any new content anymore.

Elwro

Arcane
I'm speaking about "Wiele osób już to dostrzegło ze nie jest to zwykłe przesunięcie, ale związane jest po prostu z obszernością gry - czyli mówiąc po prostu z bonusem w postaci wielu dodatkowych godzin grania" from http://forum.gram.pl/forum_post.asp?tid=25523&pid=170 . The 'bonus' is suspicious, it seems to imply those hours just weren't there a while ago.
But they've sorta denied this rumor later.

Texas Red

Whiner
90 hours, aye? Oh, I understand! They mean it like the Bioware Doctors when they said it took them 140 hours to complete the NWN OC.

VonVentrue

Cipher
Patron
I have high hopes for this game, to be honest, that is one of the few RPGs that I am looking forward to. Whether or not the Witcher will live up to expectations and retain the charm of Sapkowski's novels is yet to be seen.
Take all the time You need, CD Projekt.

Ausir

Arcane
By the way, the first Witcher book, The Last Wish, has been recently published in English by Gollancz (in the UK) - highly recommended!

Texas Red

Whiner
Anyway, how long have been Twitcher in development already? 9, 10 years?

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I don't care. The less bugs the better. Hells, delay it another three years if you like.

Also, Elwro- so you're translating The Witcher, eh?

Globbi

Augur
BTW. Some info on the game (an interview and relations from a show of beta)
-Americans liked dialogues, according to Madej (project director) translations are a bit worse but there is still lots of humor and interesting phrases.
-According to relations from person that played beta dialogues are very shallow and only answers are something like "Yes, i want the quest"/"No, I don't". Devs explained that it was only like that in tutorial and it will be better later in game, that's probably true.
-Dialogues are know to be more developed in Polish version.
-There is a lot of action all the time and it seems closer to ARPG than RPG, still the player who says that considered the Witcher as great and innovative and didn't want to consider it as a game of certain genre.
-It will take 40-80h (or 50-100h in different sources (?)) to finish the game.
-There will be 3 difficulty levels, on the easiest there will be not too much combat on the main quest and completing the game won't require alchemy or gaining experience, it will do on the toughest.
-There will be a quest compass! - in a corner there will be a small map and an arrow pointing where to go. No idea if it is optional. Still, Madej said there will be no leading by hand and the game won't do anything for you.
-Combat is great according to everyone who saw it.
-The only restrictions are in German(violence) and US (nudity) versions. [getting a UK version should be ok if you want to avoid this]

MasPingon

Arcane
Globbi said:
BTW. Some info on the game (an interview and relations from a show of beta)

-There will be 3 difficulty levels, on the easiest there will be not too much combat on the main quest and completing the game won't require alchemy or gaining experience, it will do on the toughest.
That is not true

-There will be a quest compass! - in a corner there will be a small map and an arrow pointing where to go. No idea if it is optional. Still, Madej said there will be no leading by hand and the game won't do anything for you.
-Combat is great according to everyone who saw it.

Yes; it's optional.

I have been playing The Witcher, but my english skills are to low to write a full preveiw :/ I will ansfer the questions if any of you have some, though.

Globbi

Augur
MasPingon said:
That is not true
Ok, but that's what Michał Madej said, not me. I suppose this is about gaining experience from side quests in addition to following the plot.

spacemoose

Erudite
MasPingon said:
I have been playing The Witcher, but my english skills are to low to write a full preveiw :/ I will ansfer the questions if any of you have some, though.

how much dialogue is there?

suppose you talk to a major NPC, how many conversation options do you have?

MasPingon

Arcane
Well, I have played only prologue (tutorial) and a first chapter so it's very possible the game changes while you playing longer. All I can say at this point - don't expect P:T or Fallout type of dialoges. I was. Dialoge trees that I saw were more like the Gothic ones. Michal Madej said it's beacouse that was only the begining of the game and assure us that dialoges will be more complex in next chapters. I hope he is right.

Texas Red

Whiner
1. Do stats affect the dialog?

2. Can you be good or evil on porpuse or can you just choose the lesser of the twos? For example, in Fallout 2 you could join the slavers for your own gain but the consequences were dire. Can I be deliberately evil in Witcher?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom