Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview We already have Fallout 1, let's try something different now!

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Tags: Bethesda Softworks; Fallout 3

Here is the latest <a href=http://www.twitchguru.com/2007/07/16/fallout_3_first_impressions/>load of FO3-related crap</a> for your reading pleasure:
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>Bethesda Softworks treated game journalists to a tour of the new game, and after seeing it firsthand, I was stunned at how good Fallout 3 looks and how well Bethesda Game Studios has updated the RPG series for a <a href=http://youtube.com/watch?v=fAYnc_-ddlw>new generation</a>.
<br>
<br>
According to Bethesda, much of the game takes place inside Vault 101, and two things became apparent right away. First, the game can be played in a first-person point of view as well as a third-person perspective. And second, the game has amazing visuals.
<br>
<br>
The main character's father, a <b>genetic scientist</b>, mysteriously departs...
<br>
<br>
After showing off the environments, Howard then demonstrated Fallout 3's new combat gameplay system. <b>If there was one flaw with the original Fallout, it was the somewhat clunky combat system, which could slow down gameplay</b>. The new combat system blends a <b>first-person shooter style</b> with elements of the original attack mode.
<br>
<br>
There was even a boss battle; Howard fought against a large Super Mutant Behemoth with a delicious weapon called the Fat Man, which acts like an RPG but shoots mini-nukes.
<br>
<br>
There was a quite a big of action in the demo, but it's not as if Bethesda has dumbed down Fallout for FPS fans.
<br>
<br>
In summary, Fallout 3 looks like it has the makings of both an RPG hit and a worthy addition to the Fallout series. The snappy dialogue, black humor, juicy RPG capabilities and unique vision of the future are all back for the new sequel. And Bethesda has added a keen new combat system, <b>first-person shooter quality action</b>, stunning graphics and advanced character/environment interaction features to the mix. While some of the new additions may turn off fans of the original game, <b>I for one am glad to see Bethesda is trying something different and updating the franchise for next-generation platforms</b>. <font size=4><b>We already have Fallout and Fallout 2, so why not go in a different direction?</b></font size> And that's exactly what Bethesda is doing, and I can't wait for more.</blockquote>Indeed.
<br>
<br>

<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.nma-fallout.com">NMA</A>

I think it is time everyone here realised that Bethesda, with their deep pockets, could never pay off everyone writing these glorified Beth press releases. I think it is time that we came to grips with the fact that all these "gaming journalists" are not simply whores, or shills, or sellouts; I think all of these classifications reveal an undeserved measure of confidence in humanity on our part. I think that it is time we realised that they are something infinitely worse -- tasteless.

stargelman

Scholar
Futile Rhetoric said:
I think it is time everyone here realised that Bethesda, with their deep pockets, could never pay off everyone writing these glorified Beth press releases. I think it is time that we came to grips with the fact that all these "gaming journalists" are not simply whores, or shills, or sellouts; I think all of these classifications reveal an undeserved measure of confidence in humanity on our part. I think that it is time we realised that they are something infinitely worse -- tasteless.
Ah yes. Hanlin's razor: Never attribute to malice what can be reasonably explained with stupidity.

SimonBread

Novice
'Why not go in a new direction?'

Then don't purchase and use the fucking Fall Out license if you plan to 'change' the franchise.

pkt-zer0

Scholar
Fun stuff, the first two paragraphs make it seem like FO3 is just Van Buren finished, not completely scratched and developed from the ground up.

The vault itself boasts impressive detail and texture, while the character animation looks almost as good as what we see in Oblivion.

Character animation not as good as in Oblivion? Hrm.

While the first-person shooter mode may not be the RPG fan's cup of tea, the HUD mode should satisfy the needs of Fallout purists who yearn for an experience close to the original game. And from the looks of the demo, there should be plenty of combat to keep action junkies happy. Howard showed a massive firefight between Super Mutants and human members of the Brotherhood of Steel amongst the ruins of the Capitol Wasteland and it was an exhilarating sequence. There was even a boss battle; Howard fought against a large Super Mutant Behemoth with a delicious weapon called the Fat Man, which acts like an RPG but shoots mini-nukes.

Fallout 3 - where RPG refers strictly to Rocket Propelled Grenades.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Even better, Bethesda showed a 45-minute preview of the game, which is scheduled for a fall 2008 release, at this year's show, proving once and for all that the game is not only vaporware but is also deep in development.

So, it is deep in development, but it is still vapourware! Sounds like Duke Nukem Forever!

Lingwe

Liturgist
And second, the game has amazing visuals.

This confirms that the person who wrote this has an IQ lower than 70. If it is based on the same engine as Oblivion then wouldn't it stand to reason that the graphics are going to look similar to Oblivion except with burnt out buildings rather than endless trees?

You would think that since we have already seen the amazing technicolour Bethesda world they would possibly focus on something else, say perhaps whether or not there is going to be dialogue in the game that is worth the hard disc space it takes up.

kris

Arcane
Re: We already have Fallout 1, let's try something different

Vault Dweller said:
with a delicious weapon called the Fat Man, which acts like an RPG but shoots mini-nukes.

My gaming IQ is not high enough to understand this. translation?

Bradylama

Arcane
Futile Rhetoric said:

Good, I'm pretty tired of all this tinfoil hat talk.

DarkSign

Erudite
Is it any wonder that after hundreds of millions of dollars has been spent to get gamers to this point - where FPS hype is all people respond to - that the gaming media is tasteless?

If even half of that had been spent on advertising turn-based rpgs (in EuroMerica) people would enjoy them.

Russ and the Escapist staff has been tipping his hand for a page or two on the threads over there. If you want more of what you loved before then you're boring!! As long as you have the spirit you can fuck a game until even Blackheart wont stick his dick in.

Coelacanth

Novice

kris said:
Vault Dweller said:
with a delicious weapon called the Fat Man, which acts like an RPG but shoots mini-nukes.

My gaming IQ is not high enough to understand this. translation?

"RPG" in this case refers to a shoulder-mounted rocket launcher. See here.

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again!

dumb-o-matic said:
After showing off the environments, Howard then demonstrated Fallout 3's new combat gameplay system. <b>If there was one flaw with the original Fallout, it was the somewhat clunky combat system, which could slow down gameplay</b>. The new combat system blends a <b>first-person shooter style</b> with elements of the original attack mode.
There was even a boss battle; Howard fought against a large Super Mutant Behemoth with a delicious weapon called the Fat Man, which acts like an RPG but shoots mini-nukes.
There was a quite a big of action in the demo, but it's not as if Bethesda has dumbed down Fallout for FPS fans.

One guy is reading a book. Another guy has a sheet of paper with "Flip Me!" written on both sides. Each one of them is flipping them goddamn pages so what's the fuckin' difference?! Esp. when the latter does it quicker because he isn't slowed by a somewhat clunky reading system.

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2

Vault Dweller said:
No, Bethesda has dumbed down Fallout for themselves, and for you.

Rei

Novice
What worries me is it's going to be as unsubtle brainfucking game. Everyone's going to curse like 11 year olds, there won't be a polite human being in the vicinity. Theyre giving us their impression of Fallout done right.

I get the feeling they played Fallout and hated it.

Hellraiser

Arcane
I have no idea what pissed me off more today, not winning an CoH:OF beta key despite high odds, the shitty adsl not working for over 24 hours, my mp3 player's firmware fucking up and being unable to fix it without the CD which I left back home or bethesda's even more retarded fallout 3 related statements.

It's a real shitstorm out there and I'm in the middle of the fucking thing.

VonVentrue

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
And the award for "the most idiotic and ignorant Bethesda's Fallout:P.o.S. 2-related article ever" goes to... the "journalist" responsible for having written that pathetic excuse for a preview...
Seriously, if he wants to play "something different " so bad, why won't he play his beloved Oblivion again?
I am fed up with all those "this is the next-generation RPG since it plays exactly like a shooter" impressions... But what can we expect from people (?) who gave TES IV ridiculously high marks?...

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Rei said:
I get the feeling they played Fallout and hated it.
No, no, no, that's not how it is. Of course they loved it.

It's just that they blocked out everything they didn't like, leaving only post-nuclear, killing mutants and swearing. That's all Fallout is to them.

denizsi

Arcane
bozia2012 said:
One guy is reading a book. Another guy has a sheet of paper with "Flip Me!" written on both sides. Each one of them is flipping them goddamn pages so what's the fuckin' difference?! Esp. when the latter does it quicker because he isn't slowed by a somewhat clunky reading system.

Best comment I've read in this thread so far and also a worthy signature material. :salute:

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again!
"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones." - a commentary by A. Einstein on next-next-gen games.

Time to die, folks. I'm wondering if the industry will ever wake up. Maybe they'll be dumbing this shit down untill they reach the level of PONG (at that time no single computer journalist will even know what Tetris was) - then we will start anew.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Gave it to RPG Vault today. They liked it and asked for exclusivity, so I can't post it openly until they do.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom