Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Fallout 3 is fun at Games Are Fun!

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Tags: Bethesda Softworks; Fallout 3

A site called <a href=http://www.gamesarefun.com>Games Are Fun</a> (don't confuse with other popular sites like <a href=http://www.add.org/>I Like Games</a> and <a href=http://www.aacap.org/page.ww?name=Children+Who+Are+Mentally+Retarded&section=Facts+for+Families>I Play Game!</a>) has posted this <a href=http://www.gamesarefun.com/gamesdb/preview.php?previewid=34>Fallout 3 preview</a>:
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>Fallout 3 is running on the Oblivion engine, but don't think for a minute that means you'll be getting The Elder Scrolls V: Fallout. For one thing, character faces now resemble attractive humans! That's a good start, but Bethesda didn't stop there.</blockquote>Judging by the previews, Bethesda could have easily stopped there.
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>Voiced by actor Liam Neeson, the model of Father will actually change depending on what you design your own character to look like. So it's conceivable that Father will look slightly different in each particular player's game of Fallout 3.</blockquote>Replayability++
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>Guns will be one of the major weapons in Fallout 3, and for the most part, the game will play much like a first-person shooter. There will also be laser rifles, melee weapons, and my favorite, a portable nuclear bomb launcher.</blockquote>Hey, it's my favorite weapon too!
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>In battle, the game will play like an FPS, as I mentioned, but it can also play like a semi-turn-based shooter...</blockquote>Semi turn-based? So it's a semi-Fallout shooter with a semi-isometric mode and semi-turn-based combat for semi-hardcore Fallout fans.
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>Another element in battle is radiation. By blowing up objects in the environment (resulting in some really awesome-looking mushroom clouds), you'll release radiation into the surrounding area and damage all living things, enemies and friends alike.</blockquote>Ah, so that's how it works. The nuclear EXPLOSION is actually harmless, but it's a good source of radiation. Even blowing up an old chair will result in some really awesome-looking mushroom cloud and some chair radiation (there are different types, in case you don't really know your physics).
<br>
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.nma-fallout.com/">NMA</A>

Oarfish

Prophet
By blowing up objects in the environment (resulting in some really awesome-looking mushroom clouds)

Oh dear god. Mini mushroom clouds?

Seeing such destruction on a wide scale, even though it was virtual, was depressing.

No shit.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Vault Dweller said:
By blowing up objects in the environment (resulting in some really awesome-looking mushroom clouds)

Considering that mushroom clouds are most commonly formed by large explosions of any type (nuclear or non-nuclear), volcanoes or comets, I'm a bit puzzled by what they mean here. Nuclear grenades cause mushroom clouds? How? Isn't that kind of...physically impossible?

Rohit_N

Prophet
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Nuclear grenades cause mushroom clouds? How? Isn't that kind of...physically impossible?

Apparently, the developers think that they make the game humorous/post-apocalyptic/Fallouty.

X_805

Novice
Brother None said:
How? Isn't that kind of...physically impossible?

I thought so. Something to do with the density of gases in large explosions.

Lumpy

Arcane
No, retards. When there's a nuclear explosion, the radiation that is created forms a mushroom cloud, which then spreads out. And nuclear explosions happen when a spark appears in a container of nuclear stuff.

Vault Dweller

Developer
From GameHelper (courtesy of NMA):

"“War never changes” – but Fallout sure has. We tend to look back through nostalgic rose-colored glasses at the games of ‘yesteryear’ until those rare occasions arise in which we load them up again and discover just how terrible they look alongside the Gears of Wars and Oblivion’s lining our shelves today."

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Vault Dweller said:
From GameHelper (courtesy of NMA):

"“War never changes” – but Fallout sure has. We tend to look back through nostalgic rose-colored glasses at the games of ‘yesteryear’ until those rare occasions arise in which we load them up again and discover just how terrible they look alongside the Gears of Wars and Oblivion’s lining our shelves today."

I think you should newspost this article, VDweller. Mostly because of this can't be missed quote:

“Violence – people forget but Fallout was one of those first games where [people said], ‘Hey, look at the violence’….(the journalists chuckle) Hey, Violence is funny – lets all just own up to it! Violence done well is f—ing hilarious. It’s like Itchy and Scratchy or Jackass –now that’s funny! “

Fallout 3 for me is Jackass!

Vault Dweller

Developer
Newsposted. I was going to skip it at first, but it's a comedy gold material.

Fallout 3 is running on the Oblivion engine, but don't think for a minute that means you'll be getting The Elder Scrolls V: Fallout.
That's right. It's actually an expansion pack for Oblivion, not a sequel.

Micmu

Magister
Todd automatically upgraded all explosions to mushroom clouds. Makes, sense, since this post-NUCLEAR game. Get it?? This is fun!
Hollywood go hide in the bushes 'cos we have NUKULAR exploding cars!1

Rei

Novice
I hope someone is saving all these posts leading up to the release of Fallout 3. Every single one. It'll be a little more satisfying to say I told you so. Fuck all, we'll have a review by the release of Fallout V expansion.

Rei

Novice
Reviewing that archive I've learned more about how everyone in the game industry is an idiot then fallout 3.

Comrade Hamster

Liturgist
So, a small-arms nuclear launcher (oxymoronic?) with a yield so small that it can be used at combat ranges...creates enough radiation to immediately break down the molecular cohesion and integrity of any nearby creatures? Doesn't it take upwards of several thousand REMs to cause such immediate effects?

Twinfalls

Erudite
Lumpy said:
No, retards. When there's a nuclear explosion, the radiation that is created forms a mushroom cloud, which then spreads out. And nuclear explosions happen when a spark appears in a container of nuclear stuff.

Exactly. And neuclear radiation is POISEN, like mushrooms.

Poi-sen..?

Twinfalls said:
Lumpy said:

Exactly. And neuclear radiation is POISEN, like mushrooms.

Poi-sen..?
Poisson.

Vault Dweller

Developer
I assume you missed the ESF famous fan-fiction cult classic "Stop teh poisen!".

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
Lumpy said:

Hmm, seems right at home with other brilliant and indepth Fallouty descriptions I've seen elsewhere...

riot_armour.jpg
tesla_fobos.jpg

Oh man, Bethesda must be taking notes right now.

kris

Arcane
I should sell some Tesla armor to the Fallout 3 previewers.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom