Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Bethesda supports the little man!

Calis

Pensionado
Tags: Herve Caen; Interplay

No, really! This is straight from the ever-reliable <A HREF="http://www.duckandcover.cx/#9296" target="_BLANK">DAC</A>, who have gotten word from a former Interplay employee that Bethesda's Fallout IP contract effectively forces Herve "Prince of Lies" Caen to actually make good on his obligations and take EEEEXXXTREEEMEEEEE action such as paying people what he owes them. Nice going, Bethesda, but rest assured, most of us still hate you.
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.duckandcover.cx">Duck And Cover</A> (thanks Jen)
<br>
Original source: <A HREF="http://fallout3.wordpress.com/">Briosafreak's blog</A>

elander_

Arbiter
Bethesda is very imaginative in the ways they find to please Fallout fans.

corvax

Augur
Whatever. There is very little doubt about Bethesda's business acumen. It's a very solid company with some pretty powerful people on its board of directors. If they were ever to fuck anyone over they would do it in the legal way and not by simply refusing to pay their employees. Think of it more as Lawful Evil.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
  • Ok some details then . . .
    Herve had a bad habit of considering himself above having to answer, or even speak to, non-executive types. Nothing concrete mind you, he just exuded an aura of contempt and disdain for people who didn’t have the title “vice president” or higher in their corporate moniker. He changed salary employee to wage several months after the fact with out notifying them because he felt he didn’t have too. He refused to pay back wages nor any penalties when he lost lawsuits, or would even show up.

Since some have asked, here is the skinny on the court adventures.
    Herve did not want to pay the penalties assigned by the court case, so 4 of us, including Alden and Bioware, got together and claimed in 3 years, IPLY had made no progress on paying the various legal judgments, and that it was insolvent since being evicted. After numerous stalling attempts, the noose tightened as the judge began to see Herve for the slime ball he was/is. Herve went begging to Bethesda to pull his pink, plump, rump out of the ringer. As many of you know, they bought all of Fallout for 6 million, in 2 million installments on the prevision (among numerous others) he has pay EVERYBODY, EVERYTHING, even those that didn’t file. Every lawsuit, every back wage, every dime. No more tricks or Bethesda yanks his chain.

You can read the court proceedings for yourself, but basically, Herve is now Bethesda’s bitch. He marches to the beat of their drum and should he step out of line, they will revoke his ability to use anything Fallout.

After 3 years, to the month, that the Herve tried to pull his “I don’t pay the little people” stunt, the mighty hand of Bethesda, and the threat of bankruptcy, finally forced Herve to pay me, to pay EVERYBODY.

Thank you Herve for the new 07 jeep, and my wife loves her new pt cruiser convertible.
I'd really like to see that contract.

aboyd

Liturgist
If Bethesda really did have a contract put in place that stipulates that they can yank Fallout away from him if anyone complains that they were unpaid, then I actually think that IS very cool of Bethesda. I'm not so blinded by my dislike for their kiddified games that I would begrudge them congratulations for that.

If it's true, that's a legitimate feather in Bethsoft's hat. Just my opinion, of course.

Hazelnut

Erudite
Araanor said:
Good move. Herve is the scum of the earth.

Agreed. I think Herve has to take almost all the blame for the path the Fallout franchise has trodden, including Beth's upcoming third installment. What might have been, eh?

denizsi

Arcane
"For Retards By Retards" in game design philosophy, a rock-solid Wolfram & Hart in corporate business. If I were a retard, or had no problem with retardation of games, Bethesda might be the perfect place to work.

Lumpy

Arcane
denizsi said:
"For Retards By Retards" in game design philosophy, a rock-solid Wolfram & Hart in corporate business. If I were a retard, or had no problem with retardation of games, Bethesda might be the perfect place to work.
Did you even read the thread or is this random "I hate Beth" shit?

galsiah

Erudite
It's the same sentiment everyone else expressed: it's a good thing (although they still suck at design).
denizsi simply made the effort to cram in four "Retard"s to say it.

Amasius

Augur
If I've had to choose between Herve and Bethesda (nightmare!) I'd always choose Beth. Both are assholes but Herve is a moron while Beth is successful so I can respect them somewhat. I don't like Todd and Pete but at least they pay their bills.

GhanBuriGhan

Erudite
The chain of being according to the Codex:

God
|
|
Fallout Developers
|
|
Fallout fans/ the Codex
|
|
Other classic RPG developers
|
|
Everyone else
|
|
Vertebrates
|
|
Casual PC gamers
|
|
Invertebrates
|
|
Console gamers
|
|
Bethesda / Tes fans
|
|
Prokaryotes
|
|
Herve Caen

Correct?

aries202

Erudite
so what you're saying is that is = to the Flying Spagetthi Monster (FSM) or that God is a cartoon(ish) character :?:

And Herve Caen is some sort of dirt??

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I'm happy for Corith, but I still loathe Bethesda.

GhanBuriGhan said:
The chain of being according to the Codex:

God
|
|
Fallout Developers
|
|
Fallout fans/ the Codex
|
|
Other classic RPG developers
|
|
Everyone else
|
|
Vertebrates
|
|
Casual PC gamers
|
|
Invertebrates
|
|
Console gamers
|
|
Bethesda / Tes fans
|
|
Prokaryotes
|
|
Herve Caen

Correct?

I'm not sure about the position of the Prokaryotes. Also, I don't believe in God.

NiM82

Prophet
Bethesda probably had a reason for doing this other than to be the nice guy, that's now how businessmen operate. Are there ex Iplay guys working at Beth or something?

If they did do it for the little guy, I doff my cap - but they are still liars and rapists.
Fallout fans/ the Codex
I'd just put Codexers there. The fallout gene pool will soon get contaminated by unwashed scum and fake fans. Lots of weirdos on NMA as well (ahem).

I doubt there's a god, but Tim Cain would certainly suffice in the absence of one :salute:

Rei

Novice
The "new" fallout fans are classified under the TES fans slot. Because that's really what they are a fan of, another TES game.

GhanBuriGhan

Erudite
Claw said:
I'm not sure about the position of the Prokaryotes. Also, I don't believe in God.
Well the grand chain of being is a pre-evolutionary concept, so it doesn't work without a creator on top :)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom