Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Fallout 3 is turn-based!

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Tags: Bethesda Softworks; Fallout 3

Oh, come on, you are not that stupid, are you? John Breeden, GiN Chief Editor, however, is. Following the strict journalist code outlined by our new friend Patrick Joynt, a GameSpy editor, <a href=http://www.gameindustry.com>Game Industry</a> has put together this very informative <a href=http://www.gameindustry.com/review/item.asp?id=856>Fallout 3 preview</a>:
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>The biggest question on most fans’ minds is whether Bethesda would keep the top-down view and the turn based interface of the original series. Especially given that Morrowind and Oblivion, the company’s biggest hits, were 3D. People suspected that they wouldn’t and prophesized that the game would suffer because of it.
<br>
<br>
Well, I am here to tell you that the game is in 3D, but I don’t think anything will suffer because of it. Bethesda came up with what I consider to be an ingenious way to integrate both real-time and turn-based play into the game. You walk around the game world in first person, or you can switch to third person if you like, just like Oblivion. When combat begins you can either play it out normally like a shooter, or you can enter turn-based mode. In turn-based mode you will pull up a diagram of the enemy, just like in the original Fallout games. ... It’s actually a very beautiful way to make the Fallout universe 3D without leaving turn-based gameplay behind.
<br>
<br>
And the new Fallout 3 world keeps all the humor and flavor of the original series. You will find broken down nuclear cars (that will still explode if shot up), crazy robots like Mr. Handy, and a host of sometimes quirky wasteland dwellers. At one point we set one of the exploding nuclear cars on fire and then hopped into a portable nuclear shelter (which costs a quarter to use and looks like a phone booth) to avoid the blast. (Huh? - VD)
<br>
<br>
And the world looks beautiful. Some people have guessed that Fallout 3 would be Oblivion with guns, and that is not the case. <u>While it does use the Oblivion engine, never once did I see anything resembling Bruma or the Imperial City</u>.</blockquote>It takes skills and dedication to develop stupidity to such epic levels.
<br>
<br>

Grafo

Augur
Those craaaazy robots sure sound fun...jesus this game is gonna be 20 hours of New Reno without the wife banging fun of Fallout 2.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Kids, don't forget to jump into a portable phone booth to avoid a nuclear blast! Nuclear blasts can level towns, but they are powerless against phone booths' magic.

Shannow

Waster of Time
The biggest question on most fans’ minds is whether Bethesda would keep the top-down view and the turn based interface of the original series. Especially given that Morrowind and Oblivion, the company’s biggest hits, were 3D. People suspected that they wouldn’t and prophesized that the game would suffer because of it.

The biggest question on most fans’ minds is whether Bethesda would make chocolate ice cream that is cold and tastes like chocolate as in the original series. Especially given that strawberry and vanilla, the company’s biggest hits, were sweet. People suspected that they wouldn’t and prophesized that the ice cream would suffer because of it.

I stopped reading after that paragraph because I don't expect it to get less stupid.

Hümmelgümpf

Arbiter
Game industry news said:
The level we previewed was set in and around what was left of Washington DC

Levels? in RPG?

Obviously since we are talking about a game created in-house by Bethesda, the role-playing aspect of Fallout 3 has to be a primary consideration.

Obviously.

Obviously the game engine and the interface is complete, so the only reason for the delay is so Bethesda can add more content, tons of it. Bethesda officials have said that they see Fallout 3 as being more open-ended and larger than Oblivion, so that is a lot of content.

I think that demo already is more open-ended than Oblivion. Something > Nothing

obediah

Erudite
Vault Dweller said:
Kids, don't forget to jump into a portable phone booth to avoid a nuclear blast! Nuclear blasts can level towns, but they are powerless against phone booths' magic.

They are probably made from reinforced fanboylloy. I think this stupid shit may be the most difficult aspect of the game. While you are counting the logical failures, super-duper mutants get you from behind. Seriously:

1. Why are the shelters underground if external structures can take a nuclear blast?

2. Why a fucking booth and not a building? The dynamics of making a phone call away from home are nothing like surviving a nuclear blast.

2a. No one is going to use the damn thing, and even if they do on a lark, it's going to take a lot of quarters to recover the cost.

2b. If there is a blast, a lot of people are going to want to use it and all are going to be willing to pay a lot more than a quarter. If this thing is in the game, there had better be 500 skeletons piled up around it.

2c. Who is going to collect the quarter after nuclear holocaust? What the fuck are they going to do with it?

Can you imagine playing a PNP game with these shitbags? A flurry of retarded juvenile "solutions" that lead to a TPK every 45 seconds.

Vault Dweller

Developer
obediah said:
2a. No one is going to use the damn thing...
Especially since "...most radiation from things like blown up cars (nuclear engines) and the mini-nuke weapon will dissipate given a little time." (link).

SlavemasterT

Arcane
Vault Dweller said:
It takes skills and dedication to develop stupidity to such epic levels.
I don't usually visit any gaming media sites, but I've been reading through the shitstorm of previews and articles about FO3 that have come out over the past couple days and I've been struck by how insanely moronic the majority of the writers seem to be. I don't know how you and the other news-posters can monitor this drivel constantly and not be driven mad; it's almost as bad as surfing the ESF.

elander_

Arbiter
Games journalists are paid to be stupid and write misinformation, but this is bellow everything i have seen thus far. Amazing!

crakkie

Arcane
Vault Dweller said:
Apparently they'll be powerless against the invincible children, too, so why bother with a phone booth?

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Isn't it the job of reviewers to stay neutral and give an objective picture of a game?

Oh, well, seems like you don't have to follow anything to become a "professional" reviewer...

Vault Dweller

Developer
SlavemasterT said:
Vault Dweller said:
It takes skills and dedication to develop stupidity to such epic levels.
I don't usually visit any gaming media sites, but I've been reading through the shitstorm of previews and articles about FO3 that have come out over the past couple days and I've been struck by how insanely moronic the majority of the writers seem to be. I don't know how you and the other news-posters can monitor this drivel constantly and not be driven mad; it's almost as bad as surfing the ESF.
That's one of the reasons why Saint and Spazmo aren't with us anymore. Ignorance [of how stupid most "gaming journalists" are] is truly a bliss.

Bradylama

Arcane
Some people have guessed that Fallout 3 would be Oblivion with guns, and that is not the case. While it does use the Oblivion engine, never once did I see anything resembling Bruma or the Imperial City.

I can't read this without feeling stupid. Fallout 3's got what morons crave.

Vival

Augur
Some people have guessed that Fallout 3 would be Oblivion with guns, and that is not the case. While it does use the Oblivion engine, never once did I see anything resembling Bruma or the Imperial City.

Hahaha, awesome. It reads almost like a parody of all the other shitty Fallout 3 previews.

callehe

Liturgist
Bradylama said:

WOOSH!

Sarcasm duh! Please, it's obvious that no one is THAT stupid.

...right? :D :) :? :(

psycojester

Arbiter
You get the feeling that Bethesda really deep down wanted to re-create the dark sardonic humour from fallout, but were foiled by the fact that nobody in the office could find of anything more hilarious than a set of fake boobs on an apron or poop.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Bradylama said:

:lol:

aries202

Erudite
:D :lol:

I think someone has seen too much Dr. Who :lol:

It give a whole new meaning to the phrase from the 1950's of 'be sure to duck -- and cover :!: '

What do you if run out of quarters, then ?? Hijack another phone both ;) :D :lol:

:shades:

More seriously, though, --- this is simply the most hilariuos news all day --- and I really needed a good laugh today...

Although I was like :shock: and :roll: when I read it, I soon needed to :D and :lol:

over this news...

Lingwe

Liturgist

And everytime you do use one of the magic phone booths you have to duck under your seat until the nuclear explosion is gone.

Anaglyph

Novice
aries202 said:
What do you if run out of quarters, then ??

Chuck Barbie doll heads at the lock with your Suck-o-Tron till it breaks, obviously.

Castanova

Prophet
Are you guys retarded or something? Obviously the portable phone booth is actually the one from Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure. That's why it can withstand a nuclear blast - it actually warps forward in time to right after the blast occurs.

Radical, dude! And you thought "Rad" in the original Fallouts stood for "Radiation"...

Bradylama

Arcane
Whoah, it's like these derelicts emit radiation with a half-life of 5 seconds.

EXCELLENT!

:AIR GUITAR:

pkt-zer0

Scholar
Vault Dweller said:

It scares me to think that Fallout 3 is turning out like this with Bethesda trying to avoid cheesy humour. Or so they say, at least.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom