Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Fallout 3 previews at Voodoo Extreme

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Tags: Bethesda Softworks; Fallout 3

<a href=http://ve3d.ign.com>Voodoo Extreme</a> has posted a short <a href=http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/800/800884p1.html>Fallout 3 hype-filled preview</a>:
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>Combat in Fallout 3 is what I like to call "Freeze-Based-Combat". It's not precisely real-time, nor is it truly turned-based.</blockquote>Real time with pause, mebbe?
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>Fallout 3 is a role-playing game. That means characters have a number of skills and abilities they can use to help them advance.</blockquote>RPG - a game with stats! Must be the Next Generation (TM) definition.
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>...you can replay the game many different ways. There's a degree of randomness as well, so <u>no two games will ever be the same</u>.</blockquote>The new hype line?
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>...don't be shocked if the game ends up being the best of the series.</blockquote>Urge to kill rising...
<br>
<br>
Thanks, Ryuken.
<br>
<br>

Ryuken

Liturgist
Alright, I don't want to be the messenger to shoot at here but the IGN-preview is the most interesting imo, especially what they have to say about the dialogue system.

"The conversations with Simms and Burke show off both the new AI system and the new focus on NPC interaction. An improved radiant AI system allows for even more behavior and dialogue options on the screen and your speech skill allows you to influence an NPC to do things that might not necessarily be in their best interests. For each dialogue option that makes use of the speech skill, you'll see a percentage chance of success. You'll want to take note of these numbers because if you fail, it's likely that you'll really irritate the person you're talking with. "

Seems like no more mini-game (although hacking still is a mini-game of sorts it seems).

Ander Vinz

Scholar
Something is wrong with this Howard guy. His speech is terrible:
"You know, the main reason for first-person... is that... you know when you ought to touch the world... and make it feel real... and... I just think the emotional impact of that is much greater..."

Micmu

Magister
sportforredneck said:
He also does a lot of those queer hand movements.
See how when he talks about playing games, he always mashes buttons on an imaginary gamepad.

aries202

Erudite
Ander Vinz said:
Something is wrong with this Howard guy. His speech is terrible:
"You know, the main reason for first-person... is that... you know when you ought to touch the world... and make it feel real... and... I just think the emotional impact of that is much greater..."

Sometimes people that are introverts (i.e. not much outgoing people) tend to speak like this, especially when they are not prepared or haven't thought thinks through a lot.
Sometimes people tend to babble when they're nervous and also tend to babble when they speak about something of which they know very little about, like Todd obviously do on this game. Emil P. do know about this game, and he does it so much better on the interview on gametrailers.com --- he speaks clearly, and structured and can name some of the reasons behind the way F3 is what it is.

I always ask my students (I'm a teacher ;) ) 'why'? And if Todd were one my students I would ask him *why do you think that?'

There are people on the BGSF forums that also say that a first-person view is more immersive, and are able to give good reasons to back it up. I don't always agree with these reasons, especially since I can't seem to understand why anyone would think that.
But that's their opinion, and I can respect that :)

I don't know whether or not Todd H. is a homosexual or not, and as far as gaming goes, I fail to see the importance of Todd's sexual preferences in relation to the games, he makes.

hiciacit

Liturgist
aries202 said:
Sometimes people that are introverts (i.e. not much outgoing people) tend to speak like this, especially when they are not prepared or haven't thought thinks through a lot.

Ah 'introverts'...and here I was thinking 'idiots'. Stop being so fucking apologetic.

aries202 said:
Sometimes people tend to babble when they're nervous and also tend to babble when they speak about something of which they know very little about, like Todd obviously do on this game.

So now he's an introvert who has no clue what he's talking about?

Ander Vinz

Scholar
aries202 said:
Sometimes people tend to babble when they're nervous and also tend to babble when they speak about something of which they know very little about, like Todd obviously do on this game.
It doesn't help very much when you can think out some explanations to people's behaviour.

I always ask my students (I'm a teacher ;) ) 'why'? And if Todd were one my students I would ask him *why do you think that?'
Go give him some spießrute's instead.

There are people on the BGSF forums that also say that a first-person view is more immersive, and are able to give good reasons to back it up. I don't always agree with these reasons, especially since I can't seem to understand why anyone would think that.
Personally I don't have any problems with first-person view. Vampire:Bloodlines was really good game.

Bradylama

Arcane
The problem people have with immersion is that it's treated as a catch-all gaming focus. As if the only games that people want to play are the ones which allow them to completely escape reality. Immersion != better.

I still suspect that Todd Howard is slightly autistic.

galsiah

Erudite
Bradylama said:
The problem people have with immersion is that it's treated as a catch-all gaming focus.
My main problem is the complete misunderstanding of the concept by many - both in terms of what it means, and how to create it.

For instance:
(*) Failure to differentiate between immersion in the process of playing the game (almost always important), and immersion in the game world (can be important).
(*) Failure to differentiate between being immersed, and thinking "that looks realistic".
(*) Complete ignorance of the importance of coherence in creating any kind of immersion.

If game developers / journalists / players all understood the various meanings and roles of immersion, I'd be relatively happy with its being championed. Since many don't have the first clue, I usually cringe. The problem is that it's not simply a case of saying "Immersion isn't that good/useful/important..." - in some sense it often is. The only argument against idiotic immersion advocates is a thorough explanation of the various concepts involved - which they'll likely neither bother to read, nor understand.
It's rather depressing.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom