Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

GameSpot's thoughts on Fallout 3

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Tags: Bethesda Softworks; Fallout 3

<a href=http://www.gamespot.com>GameSpot</a> posted their own <a href=http://www.gamespot.com/news/6172096.html?action=convert&om_clk=latestnews&tag=latestnews;title;0>interpretations</a> of the <a href=http://www.gameinformer.com/News/Story/200706/N07.0605.1221.21984.htm>Game Informer</a>'s FO3 front page:
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>Though Bethesda is still publicly mum on the subject, the question of Fallout 3's platforms was also answered this week. Not long after the trailer debuted, Game Informer posted the cover for its July issue, which confirms that Fallout 3 will indeed arrive on the PC, PS3, and 360 in 2008. Sources close to Bethesda said the information on the GI cover was accurate, but would not go into further details.
<br>
<br>
The GI cover also added ammo to the theory that Fallout 3 would be a major departure from previous PC Fallouts and the widely despised console spin-off, Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel. The magazine claims that Bethesda's goal has been to "reinvent" the RPG, which was originally a top-down turn-based title, into an all-new "open-ended RPG." Both Fallout and Fallout 2 offered open-ended gameplay with many side quests inside a larger, linear storyline--as did Oblivion. </blockquote>Widely despised, eh?
<br>
<br>
<a href=http://www.gamespot.com/xbox/rpg/falloutbrotherhoodofsteel/review.html?om_act=convert&om_clk=gssummary&tag=summary;review>GameSpot FOBOS review</a>:
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>Fallout fans will find that this game is fairly faithful to the spirit of the series...
<br>
<br>
The gameplay of Brotherhood of Steel mostly involves running around enemy-infested environments and slugging it out with just about everything that stands in your way, while using the Fallout equivalent of health potions--called stimpacks--whenever you're low on health.</blockquote>Anyway, let's see what GameSpot's readers are saying about the article:
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>I remember that back when I was first playing through Fallout 2, I spent a lot of time thinking, "you know what? This would make a great FPS."
<br>
<br>
im sorry but im hoping for a FPS Fallout like Oblivion. even tho i am a big fan of fallout 1&2 (started playing 2 again) i like to see the game branch off from turn based combat. i will say this lots of people would be mad if it became a FPS. but also alot of you would be lying if you said you didn't have fun spending 100+ hours in oblivion.
<br>
<br>
Fallout and Fallout 2 came out 10 years ago. Bethesda said they would keep the humor and atmosphere of the series but change the gameplay. Why, because...THERE IS NO MORE MARKET FOR ISOMETRIC TURN BASED STRATEGY. Get with the times people and quit reliving your childhood.
<br>
<br>
<b>you must be a real rpg fan to really get into the oblivion world because if you are not a rpg fan then you will get bored of it</b>.</blockquote>That must be why.
<br>
<br>
Thanks, Edward.
<br>

Amasius

Augur
Gamespot article said:
Both Fallout and Fallout 2 offered open-ended gameplay with many side quests inside a larger, linear storyline--as did Oblivion.
Yes, yes I'm enlightened now - Fallout and Oblivion are almost the same and only Oblivion with guns can be a true successor of the old Fallouts. We have to be deeply grateful that Bethesda saves the franchise.

Avin

Liturgist
"you must be a real rpg fan to really get into the oblivion world because if you are not a rpg fan then you will get bored of it"

HAHAHAHAHABHBAHAHAHSHDHWHAHAHAHA

psycojester

Arbiter
THERE IS NO MORE MARKET FOR ISOMETRIC TURN BASED STRATEGY. Get with the times people and quit reliving your childhood.

Thinking is sooooo last-gen

Micmu

Magister
"you must be a real rpg fan to really get into the oblivion world because if you are not a rpg fan then you will get bored of it"

This one is on par with Desslock's "Dungeon Siege is the only RPG you wanna play right now"

Black

Arcane
Gamespot's thoughts?
Isn't 'thoughts' too big word?

Btw, yeah, I also like that "you must be a real rpg fan to really get into the oblivion " crap... I actually felt smarter, I just knew I'm not the biggest idiot in the whole world

Pegultagol

Erudite
It is sad to see as the biggest myth and disservice to true RPG fans is claiming that a tried and true design that proved to be so effective in the genre's resurgence is anymore antiquated than the hybrid crap that underestimates our ability to read and that at the same time manages to marginalize the details that made the property special.

I believe Fallout is a series from which its significant installment was released 10 years ago; its name is associated and relevant with those who kept the fanbase intact, the hardcore adherents to the Fallout setting with everything it represents reflected in its history. I think if there was ever the case where the inherent game related property was supported by fans to an extent to retain enough interest and to warrant a six figure sale, it is Fallout.

I believe that to take the name and try to infuse it with something else entirely in contrast to the most fundamental aspects of the original not only makes it an insult to those fans to which the property holds the most value, but also completes the bastardization that started with the Tactics. This is not about reinvention; Fallout is not something that could be 'reinvented' and post-apocalyptic flavor is not requisite for any would-be impostor to be deemed Fallout.

Jinxed

Liturgist
The irony of some of these comments is that they are right to some degree. Market is dictated by profit and at the moment kids go crazy for the new McDonalds drive thru real time Oblivion type games.

Jinxed

Liturgist
Fat Dragon said:
Those Gamespot reader comments are completely stupid. Are those people inbred? Or just naturally dumb?

Say hello to Bethesdas target audience. Kinda funny though... I doubt the Fallout license would've been worth diddly squat if not for the FO community, keeping the scene alive for ages with fansites and stuff. And along comes beth just picking up the license, taking Fallout and running something reminiscent of MTV's pimp my ride program on it and then selling it to the Fast and Furious generation.

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
The 'Spirit' of Fallout is that of a tabletop pnp game. Why don't fucktards understand that?

Deleted member 7219

Fat Dragon said:
Those Gamespot reader comments are completely stupid. Are those people inbred? Or just naturally dumb?

Dude seriously, if you thought those comments were retarded you should read some of the other comments on other news topics... they mostly seem to be about how much the 360 rocks and the PS3 sucks, and how nobody plays PC games anymore, and what is the best RPG, Final Fantasy or Dragon Quest or Kingdom Hearts?

Gamespot is hardly the place to go for any kind of sensible discussion.

Rohit_N

Prophet
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
They don't know what a PnP game is in the first place. To them, the "spirit" is in the game's adult themes.

Unbe-fucking-lievable. Why can't they just keep it like was as far as character generation and role-playing goes, add a unique story to the east-coast setting, shine the graphics up real nice, give Fallout what it deserves?

All this dumbing down for masses and hype is REALLY pissing me off. Sequals should be worthy successors, they should make Fallout what it's supposed to be and add more to it, not piss green dollar bills all over it.

Fucking cocksuckers.

Red Russian

Scholar
fucking noob comment said:
...THERE IS NO MORE MARKET FOR ISOMETRIC TURN BASED STRATEGY. Get with the times people and quit reliving your childhood...

Fucking moron.

Suicidal

Arcane
<b>you must be a real retard to really get into the oblivion world because if you are not stupid enough you will understand how bland and boring the game really is.</b>.

Fixed

Mantiis

Cipher
If it does not have leveled monsters as the pc levels and I dont look at the fallout 3 title on the cover I can pretend to have fun with stalker 2.

Commissioner

Novice
The readers of gamespot show a complete lack of critical thinking skills and following things through logically. It isn't Fallout without the gameplay of the original, which in my eye's was the most important part.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom