Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Games for Windows reaction to FO3 trailer

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Tags: Bethesda Softworks; Fallout 3

<a href=http://www.1up.com>1UP</a> has posted <a href=http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3160085>an article</a> dedicated to the FO3 trailer and featuring the reaction of Games for Windows' (formerly known as Computer Gaming World magazine) staff:
<br>
<br>
<blockquote><b>Sean Molloy</b>: Smart start -- it certainly gave me faith that they're sticking with the original games' tone. You get olde radiola tunes, a quick glimpse at Pip (the original Fallout boy!) in those propaganda posters on the bus. <b>So yup, this is Fallout.</b> I'm also now completely convinced <b>it's gonna be some first-person Oblivion-style thing</b>. ...</blockquote>Fallout = some FP Oblivion thing? Makes sense.
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>When the camera pulls out of the bus, and you see that ruined cityscape--I want to explore that s*** in first-person. Imagine that moment in Oblivion where you leave the first dungeon, only you see apocalypse instead of green acres. I don't think Bethesda could pass up that opportunity.</blockquote>My sentiments exactly.
<br>
<br>
<blockquote><b>Shawn Elliott</b>: Good God, this looks good. </blockquote>It's a fucking intro trailer, Shawn. You might want to save this excitement for a review. We already know how it would start.
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>Voice what you will about Bethesda not having the knack for ink-black humor it needs to hammer out a true-to-the-series sequel, but think it through first. In my mind, Oblivion more than proved the developer's ability there...</blockquote>Yep, it was a real eye opener, Shawn.
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>In fact, if Bethesda decides to take a radically different direction with Fallout 3, I'd rather that than a dull remake.</blockquote>How very black-n-white.
<br>
<br>
<blockquote><b>Jeff Green</b>: Yeah, this looks hot. I'm palpitating here. Okay, so it's just the trailer, and that has no bearings on whether they'll actually make a good game or not. But they nailed the tone here, dead on. Even the choice of that Ink Spots song ("set the world on fire"--get it??) was right on, especially considering that they could have gone with, um, Fall Out Boy, just to pick the worst possible alternative. </blockquote>You know things are going great when the best argument is "it could have been soooo much worse".
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>And put me on the list with you two wanting a radically different direction--like first-person perspective. </blockquote>
<br>
Is radically the new epic?
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>I loved the first two Fallouts to death, but <b>now is not the time for another isometric turn-based RPG.</b></blockquote>I'd really love to hear the explanation for this bullshit. Anyone feel like emailing Jeff?
<br>
<br>
<blockquote><b>Not with the amazing possibilities that Bethesda could bring to this series after knocking it out of the park with Oblivion. I can't wait.</b></blockquote>*sigh*
<br>
<br>
<blockquote><b>Darren Gladstone</b>: Let me slap on the devil's advocate hat for one second since nobody else here will. It's the blessing and the curse of being a gaming curmudgeon. I'm not gonna lie, Shawn. Prior to seeing the trailer, I was a little concerned about one thing: Bethesda being able to hit the depths of black humor Interplay previously did.</blockquote>Right. 'Cause everything else was tip-top. Oblivion was a perfect RPG in every way, but the depth of its humor was a bit disappointing. Such a shame, really.
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>...Minor bitching and general dickery aside, let me say this: Wow. Inside of two minutes, Bethesda confirmed what I pretty much knew all along-that the Fallout franchise is in very capable hands.</blockquote>Is it some kinda best blowjob competition event? It would help if we know what the rules are.
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>I'm right there with Sean Molloy. I need to see what happens the second I walk out of my vault and into Fallout 3's apocalypse. <b>I can deal with no more turn-based gameplay</b>...</blockquote>I too hope that someone will finally make a real-time game. I don't think I can handle yet another turn-based RPG.
<br>
<br>

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
I honestly feel that these people do not deserve the lives they have been granted. They should have been born in sub-saharan africa instead, and some african tribals who have the mental capacitiy to appreciate quality RPGs should have been born in the west instead.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Kingston said:
Oh yea, that "devil's advocate". How fucking tough was that guy, huh?
Uber tough. He sure got some balls to go against the mainstream.

Zomg

Arbiter
This shit kills me. I don't particularly care about FP/Iso/RT/TB, but these guys should have some professional pride. Their status as marketing reagents is so abject... at least fucking try to fool me, please. They'd stand next to a drone reading a feature list and air-guitar for each bullet point.

Amasius

Augur
Oh my, I'm speechless. One thing is for sure - they are not bribed. Nobody can pretend to be that retarded. :roll:

Texas Red

Whiner
What Im wondering is if we can survive the next wave of the bribed bullshit, now constantly making references to Oblivion. Will we be able to keep our brain cells or are they going to explode from the EXTREME levels of the retarded hyping and "reviewing"? If this is only the starts then heaven knows what will actually be in the end.

Seriously, I think I lose an IQ point every time I read such bullshit. Their turn-based combat comments were especially strongly imbued with such awful stupidity... words cant describe my frustration.

At least the info on which people should be purged from the gene pool is readily available, in case the goverment wants to remove all of the dumb people.

Vault Dweller said:
a quick glimpse at Pip (the original Fallout boy!)

I've never played Fallout (ordered it - it should arrive tomorrow) but I'm almost sure that you see the Vault Boy in the trailer, and not the Pip-Boy. Or, at least, here they say that it is the Vault Boy.

Suicidal

Arcane
Reading this bullshit really brought my piss to a boil. Cocksucking to the max!

They sound like brainwashed bethesda drones, happily agreeing with everything Todd and Pete say and rapidly dismissing turn-based gameplay and isometric view as unwanted things of the past.

giantgnome

Scholar
What I don't understand is why everything is held up against Oblivion. How did Oblivion become the best rpg of all time? The game has little to no substance to it, nothing you do matters, not even character creation, and the only choice anyone ever has is whether or not to do a quest or to select from 2 dialouge options (with one of those being "rumors") and then hearing a recycled response from one of the 4 voice actors in the game. There are so many games that kick Oblivon's ass. Are these people retarded, bribed, or both?

Ion Flux

Savant
Project: Eternity
giantgnome said:
What I don't understand is why everything is held up against Oblivion. How did Oblivion become the best rpg of all time? The game has little to no substance to it, nothing you do matters, not even character creation, and the only choice anyone ever has is whether or not to do a quest or to select from 2 dialouge options (with one of those being "rumors") and then hearing a recycled response from one of the 4 voice actors in the game. There are so many games that kick Oblivon's ass. Are these people retarded, bribed, or both?

Yes, but it sure is pretty.

Texas Red

Whiner
Ion Flux said:
giantgnome said:

Yes, but it sure is pretty.

Your comment is insightful. If the graphics would be "past generation" then I can surely, without even a slightest presence of doubt, say that Oblivion would be no forgotten. Its quite amazing that this spell of graphics(which affects only morons) shrouds the truth of every other element, thus the mentality ubar grafix = betterest gaem goty.

Kingston

Arcane
I lack the wit to put something hilarious here
biatsxeu4.png

Commissioner

Novice
How do these idiots summon up enough neurons to respire?

Radically new direction with First-Person? How could that possibly be considered different to anything else on the market at the minute?

Saxon1974

Prophet
This a big reason why I didnt review my subscription to their magazine. Ive been getting computer gaming world for years and always like it. But there are so few real RPG's anymore that I lost interest. Then, when they reviewed Oblivion and praised it, without mentioning how bad the auto leveling was and a few other things, I decided they don't even know what makes a good true RPG anymore.

Ander Vinz

Scholar
I am quite unaware of english gaming sites and don't understand what's so special about these guys. Are they some kind of gaming guru or what? Does their opinion that matter to RPGCodex?

Red Russian

Scholar
Oh, boy. They can't wait to suck Pete and Todd's cocks when they get an "interview".

...I'm also now completely convinced it's gonna be some first-person Oblivion-style thing. ...

HA. For some odd reason though, I read that as him being sarcastic towards the RPG Codex. Had he put in a rolleyes smiley then it would definitely look like it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom