Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Blast from the past - Blade of Exiles source code released!

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
Tags: Jeff Vogel; Spiderweb Software

<a href=http://www.spiderwebsoftware.com/>Spiderweb Software</a> has announced on their site that <a href=http://www.spiderwebsoftware.com/blades/opensource.html>the source code for Blades of Exile has been released</a>:<blockquote>In 1997, Spiderweb Software released one of our most successful and popular games: Blades of Exile for Windows and Macintosh. Part of the award-winning Exile series, Blades of Exile wasn't just a game, it was an adventure construction kit. In addition to the three large adventures the game came with, you could download dozens of free, entertaining scenarios on our web site. And, if you were ambitious, you could even make your own adventure and share it with the world.
<br>
<br>
Now, ten years later, Blades of Exile is old. Very old. Recent developments in both the Macintosh and Windows sides of things have left the game no longer functioning. We don't want the game to die, though. Too many people put too much time into making adventures to let their work disappear forever.
<br>
<br>
Therefore, we have released the source code (along with all necessary support files, graphics files, sound effects, etc.) for the Windows and Macintosh versions of Blades of Exile to the world. Do what you want with it (within the sensible legal guidelines described in the license), and have fun.</blockquote>You can read the rest of the page, as well as download the source code.
<br>
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.rpgwatch.com">RPG Watch</A>

Ten years is "very old"? At least in automobile designation it takes 30 to 35 years for something to gain antique status.

I wonder what Wasteland is to this guy...

Slylandro

Scholar
Good news I guess, too bad if I ever wrote my own RPG it'd be in Python probably so this doesn't help too much. Still it's a fascinating glimpse into the job of an indie rpg programmer.

Gold

Augur
Patron
Dead State Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
I just want to play all the fan made scenarios for free. Blades of Avernum is lacking the huge library BoE has.

almondblight

Arcane
Same here. It's already been compiled for the mac, see if there's a PC version up now. I like the Exile series better than Avernum; actually Nethergate is out too and it reminds me why I think Jeff is getting worse over time. But it's a really decent game that has great scenarios from what I've heard, definately worth checking it out. One guy is using it to help his own, new (and free) CRPG creation tool.

OccupatedVoid

Arbiter
I just now took the time to look at the source.

It would be a bitch to port to Linux. All those RECTs, HBRUSHs, and other M$ shit.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom