Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Company News Bethesda to Fallout PnP: Cease and desist

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Tags: Bethesda Softworks

<a href=http://www.gluttoncreeper.com/>Glutton Creeper Games</a>, the developer of Fallout PnP D20 products, has posted this update on their website:
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>May 8th, 2007: ZeniMax Media/Bethesda has threatened to file an injunction against GCG for damages, should we not cease and deist production of Fallout PnP d20 products. They are stating that Interplay never had the rights to license a Pen and Paper to GCG under their license of Fallout from 2004 before the purchase of the IP, and makes claims against GCG that it may damage the Fallout brand and forecoming Fallout 3 release by linking the two. So for now, we have removed the page, until a resolution is met. If you want to see Fallout PnP d20 releases, please let the people at ZeniMax Media/Bethesda know, but don't send them hate mail or flames.
<br>
<br>
Our first product was being sent for review this weekend to Interplay, and still will be, as we hope Interplay will get this sorted out with Bethesda.</blockquote>Discuss.
<br>
<br>
Thanks, Stargelman

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Well, to be really, really, really honest I really, really, really don't care that much.

Really.

Ladonna

Arcane
Like this is a surprise. Remember the Doco's that were hastily ripped from replacement docs?

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
and makes claims against GCG that it may damage the Fallout brand and forecoming Fallout 3 release by linking the two.

Anyone else find it ironic that the company most likely to damage the Fallout brand is harassing the company that most likely is the only one who publishes Fallout material closer to the source?

Anyway the issue seems to have been solved for now:

We have been assured by Interplay, that they are still handling the Fallout PnP license, and that is was provided to Bethesda upon the sell of the Fallout IP. So we are back on schedule for the rough print date. Also Former CEO of Interplay, Brian Fargo has shown interest in writing the Foreword for the Fallout PnP: Survival Guide.

The Idiot

Novice
That's good news, actually. Though I regret I won't get to see how shit this would turn out.

aries202

Erudite
I'm so sorry to see people's hard work go down the drain like this. It's just as if Bethsoft doesn't realize that a FO d20 PnP game will create that much more interest for Bethesda's Fallout 3 game.

I'm not a lawyer, but I would think that Interplay could do whatever they wanted with their IP, before Interplay licensed the right to Bethesda to make Fallout 3 game. And this would include licensing GCG to make Fallout d20 game. (which is based on the D&D rules, not the GURPS rules, irrc).

This probably means that Bethsoft also uses the D&D rules, not the GURPS, for Fallout 3. And it definetely means that they're are afraid for the competition with GCG. Even though I'd bet that only the most diehearted fallout fan will buy the Fallout PnP d20 tabletop game.

I think you also should bear in mind that it only was last month that Bethesda did buy the whole Fallout IP from Interplay, not in 2004. And that way, as I see it, Bethesda really has no say over what Interplay did prior to 2004, or even prior to April 2007, since Bethsoft didn't actually own the IP untill last month.

As for linking the two, I don't see how it could ? Unless, in the US tabletop games are also sold at computer game stores?? So that people who buy Fallout 3 might also buy the tabletop game from GCG. And this way, Bethesay looses a very small amount of money (or a lot?)

As for the release of the Fallout d20 game by GCG, I thought it was set to released in May or June 2007. If Bethesda really fears that it will compete against their FO 3 game, then FO 3 is much close to going gold, and getting an actual release date, than I, and probably everyone else, thought it was.

The snippet that VD psoted about Liam Neeson's role also seem to suggest this, as Liam is speaking in the past tense. And my guess, then would be, that the game really is nearly, or as good as finished, and just needs some final touches, before its gets released in Late june or early July. (and that's the real reason behind ME's release date being pushed back to aug/sept. 2007, imo).

I feared this was going to be happen, when Bethsoft did buy the Fallout IP. Next thing that's going to happen is that all modding communities alsoi get a 'cease & desist' letter, since Fallout's IP now is controlled totally by Bethesda.

This probably makes me want to wait a very long time before buying Fallout 3.....and blame it on my current cashflow problems...

Spazmo

Erudite
aries202 said:
This probably means that Bethsoft also uses the D&D rules, not the GURPS, for Fallout 3. And it definetely means that they're are afraid for the competition with GCG. Even though I'd bet that only the most diehearted fallout fan will buy the Fallout PnP d20 tabletop game.

That's both silly and unlikely since Bethesda just doesn't have the rights to D&D and the OGL license doesn't apply to computer games.

Anyways, I love how Bethesda is accusing people of damaging the Fallout brand. Interplay damaged it pretty hard already, and I think most of us here will agree that Bethesda will damage the ever loving fuck out of it with FO3.

stargelman

Scholar
aries202 said:
This probably means that Bethsoft also uses the D&D rules, not the GURPS, for Fallout 3.
How? Please explain your thinking here.

aries202 said:
I feared this was going to be happen, when Bethsoft did buy the Fallout IP. Next thing that's going to happen is that all modding communities alsoi get a 'cease & desist' letter, since Fallout's IP now is controlled totally by Bethesda.
I don't think so. But it shows how power does corrupt. They sell a few million games and all of a sudden they think they're EA and have to act like assholes.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
I did some searching and it turns out Jason Mical is one of the authors working on Fallout PnP for Glutton Creeper.
Quite a few years ago he made a PDF with his "Fallout PnP" game freely available. I'm pretty sure it had most of the things anyone would need to play. I printed it all out and read it, but never had a chance of trying it in practice.
Mical's old site is dead, and he unfortunately does not host the file on his new abode.

Mr Happy

Scholar
Ladonna said:
Like this is a surprise. Remember the Doco's that were hastily ripped from replacement docs?

Yeah, that's exactly what I thought of. Bethesda must be having some bad days and taking it out on the world. The art for it is unfortunate, but claiming that it damages fallout 3 by association is silly.

Seboss

Liturgist
Well. You can't really blame a company for protecting its IP, could you?
I know how everybody feel about Bethesda and more specifically, Bethesda owning Fallout IP. But fact is, they own it. Not the community nor any would be PnP RPG makers.
Threatening Replacement Docs in removing manuals of past TES games (especially Arena since it's now freeware) was just plain stupid and petty though.

stargelman

Scholar
Seboss said:
Well. You can't really blame a company for protecting its IP, could you?
I know how everybody feel about Bethesda and more specifically, Bethesda owning Fallout IP. But fact is, they own it. Not the community nor any would be PnP RPG makers.
Threatening Replacement Docs in removing manuals of past TES games (especially Arena since it's now freeware) was just plain stupid and petty though.
And this isn't? GCG made their contract with Interplay before Bethesda bought the "IP" so how is that proper? Besides, if they truely have the power (and the right) to stop this, why not offer to license it to them? It's not like they'll make a p&p game themselves, and the argument of this damaging their brand name is just idiotic.

Monolith

Prophet
It's publicity. Just another dick that needs to be emptied. Besides, they are making a point. Fallout is ours. Fuck off or you get sued.

elander_

Arbiter
I think Bethesda will have to swallow their words with this one. That or Interplay is screwed for giving a license to something they were not allowed to. GC has done nothing wrong here.

Seboss

Liturgist
stargelman said:
And this isn't? GCG made their contract with Interplay before Bethesda bought the "IP" so how is that proper?
Well, I don't know how the arrangements made between GCG and Interplay transport in the current situation. Under certain circumstances, the license could be voided by Bethesda.
I agree that Bethesda might just be missing an opportunity for free advertisement by shutting off this project, and that makes them look bad too. But hey, I would be surprised if more that 200 people really cared about that.

Kotario

Liturgist
Elwro said:
I did some searching and it turns out Jason Mical is one of the authors working on Fallout PnP for Glutton Creeper.
Quite a few years ago he made a PDF with his "Fallout PnP" game freely available. I'm pretty sure it had most of the things anyone would need to play. I printed it all out and read it, but never had a chance of trying it in practice.
Mical's old site is dead, and he unfortunately does not host the file on his new abode.
I believe you can still find those materials at NMA and at fallout-rpg.narod.ru.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom