Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review Recommended Shivering Isles review

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Tags: Bethesda Softworks; Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

<a href=http://www.columbusalive.com>Columbus Alive</a>, your trusted source of gaming news, has posted this <a href=http://www.columbusalive.com/?sec=gaming&story=alive/2007/0419/g-gameon.html>Shivering Isles review</a> rated A, which explains why Bethesda quickly posted this high-profile review on their front page.
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>The Shivering Isles is visually stunning in many ways, expanding the flora and fauna of Oblivion with unique creatures and ingredients. Because the landscape is far smaller than the world of the original game, it's easier to find interesting locations or lost dungeons through random exploration.</blockquote>Considering that you couldn't take a step in Oblivion without stumbling upon "lost" dungeons, it's hard to imagine how this particular aspect could be any easier.
<br>
<br>

<br>

xedoc gpr

Scholar
Edward_R_Murrow said:
People never stop fauning over Bethesda. I almost want to write a review of Oblivion that slams it, post it on Gamefaqs, and watch the sparks fly.

That's equally as bad. Why not post a fair look at the game detailing who it's aimed at and who will enjoy it more then others? The review on this site was pretty good.

Edward_R_Murrow said:
People never stop fauning over Bethesda. I almost want to write a review of Oblivion that slams it, post it on Gamefaqs, and watch the sparks fly.

I already did that when the game was first released, and the thread exploded and was subsequently deleted.

Shoelip

Arbiter
It's like one group are religious fundamentalists, the other are rabid atheists, and you're the agnostic guy being rended in the middle. :) Extremism is the only way to find acceptance.

Starwars

Arcane
I picked up a copy of Super PLAY here in Sweden (magazine that reviews games from all platforms, though focus is on consoles).
And they actually gave Shivering Isles a 10/10, flat out ignoring all flaws. One memorable thing the reviewer said was how he stated that Beth had rebuilt Shivering Isles completely when comparing it to Oblivion.

It still hurts me deep inside to read reviews like that. I know I should get over it, but I just can't. Help me Codex, you're my only hope.

Fez

Erudite
Send us 599 US dollars and we will begin the comprehensive healing process.

Shoelip

Arbiter
Starwars said:
I picked up a copy of Super PLAY here in Sweden (magazine that reviews games from all platforms, though focus is on consoles).
And they actually gave Shivering Isles a 10/10, flat out ignoring all flaws. One memorable thing the reviewer said was how he stated that Beth had rebuilt Shivering Isles completely when comparing it to Oblivion.

It still hurts me deep inside to read reviews like that. I know I should get over it, but I just can't. Help me Codex, you're my only hope.

Do not seek such help from the Codex. Trust me, it won't be cool.

User was nabbed fit

Shoelip said:
Starwars said:

x2

RPGCodex is a heartless place full of bastards and jerks and one guy named ViolentOpposition.

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
xedoc gpr said:
That's equally as bad.
I believe that was the idea, sweetheart.

Starwars said:
Help me Codex, you're my only hope.
Please note that you need to reach the rank of Arcane on the Codex forums before you can complete the healing process. So keep posting!
However, if you do not have the time to post on internet forums often enough, we can increase your postcount for a meager $5 per post.

Kraszu

Prophet
ViolentOpposition said:
Shoelip said:
Starwars said:

x2

RPGCodex is a heartless place full of bastards and jerks and one guy named ViolentOpposition.

That is worst of them all.

Texas Red

Whiner
The Codex does not help. It will enlighten you to the fuckwittery of the reviewers and developers which in turn will make you bitter and hateful.

psycojester

Arbiter
and how is that a bad thing? The world would be so much cooler if everybody was like that. There would be no pop music industry and nobody would need to come up with a bullshit excuse before starting a war.

Grandpa Gamer

Scholar
Starwars said:
And they actually gave Shivering Isles a 10/10, flat out ignoring all flaws.

Well, you win some, you lose some. Have you noticed that in the Swedish edition of PC Gamer, when Oblivion is mentioned favourably in later issues, it's usually with a reservation about the game not really being a role playing game?

Drone39

Novice
it's all perspective

Meh...why knock other people's reviews, it's all a matter of perspective. From one person's point of view Oblivion is a crappy dumbed-down shell of an RPG designed to make FPS players think that they now 'get' RPGs while ensuring that the next generation of potential RPG players never know what a true cRPG is. From another point of view, however, it's a brilliant lower colon cleanser. I read gamespot daily to keep my bowel motions regular!

Grandpa Gamer said:
Starwars said:
And they actually gave Shivering Isles a 10/10, flat out ignoring all flaws.

Well, you win some, you lose some. Have you noticed that in the Swedish edition of PC Gamer, when Oblivion is mentioned favourably in later issues, it's usually with a reservation about the game not really being a role playing game?

hoochimama

Liturgist
The Walkin' Dude said:
The Codex does not help. It will enlighten you to the fuckwittery of the reviewers and developers which in turn will make you bitter and hateful.

Ignorance is most likely bliss, once you become a critic nothing makes you happy.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom