Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Editorial Matt Peckham on Bethesda's Fallout

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Tags: Bethesda Softworks; Fallout 3

Matt Peckham, who became famous when he posted an absolutely <a href=http://www.rpgcodex.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=15987>idiotic NWN2 review</a>, has shared with us his equally <a href=http://blogs.pcworld.com/gameon/archives/004189.html>idiotic thoughts</a> on Bethesda's Fallout game.
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>Next October marks the ten year anniversary of Black Isle's Fallout, the PC role-playing masterpiece that made you chuckle almost as hard as gnaw your nails to nubs over where to spend all your "hero's" precious SPECIAL points (Strength, Perception, Endurance, Charisma, Intelligence, Agility and Luck!).</blockquote>The "distribute some points over 7 attributes" mini-game was definitely Fallout's biggest strength, which set the game apart from "distribute some points over 6 attributes" DnD mini-games.
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>A couple days ago, Bethesda took the locks off its official Fallout 3 forums. ... So far the boards are mostly a crazy-fest of intransigent Fallout fans turfing and bickering and, to be fair, occasionally engaging in even-tempered reminiscing. Their biggest concern? That Bethesda might turn up a sci-fi version of its freeform Elder Scrolls series.
<br>
<br>
Don't bet on it. Whatever you think of their games, Bethesda's one of the smartest designers in this business. </blockquote>Comparing to you, Matt, everyone is smart.
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>They're also one of the few still-standing indies.</blockquote>They're also one of the few still-standing blues bands and impressionist artists.
<br>

Amasius

Augur
How about a new hello I'm a game journalist and I'm stupid-smilie for the Codex:

Matt_Peckham.png

Shoelip

Arbiter
Man, I'm bored of making fun of all this stupid. I have no comment.

M0RBUS

Augur
WTF?!?!?! What the hell is wrong with the guy?! Did he smashed his brain in the wall and the throw it in the paper basket?! Bethesda, an Indie!? :shock:

Shoelip

Arbiter
I'd like to meet him face to face just out of curiousity but I'd likely go berserk with fury and attack him, then I'd feel bad about it because I'm like that. Oh yeah, and you know, there would be a law suit. So anyway it's probably a bad idea.

Though given, he does have some things to say that aren't completely idiotic.

"Be thankful the franchise didn't end up with a mega-publisher like Electronic Arts or Ubisoft instead."

Oh, here are some other not completely idiotic quotes.

"Ready to feel old with me? Next October marks the ten year anniversary of Black Isle's Fallout…"

"Fallout's setting was post-apocalyptic..."

"So far the boards are mostly a crazy-fest…"

See!

stargelman

Scholar
I think the Codex needs a punching bag of sorts. So much unvented aggression :lol:

The line about Bethsoft makes sense to me. Ok, it's not true, but still. Nevermind the man behind the curtain. Move along, nothing to see here :lol:

Nedrah

Erudite
Shoelip said:
"Be thankful the franchise didn't end up with a mega-publisher like Electronic Arts or Ubisoft instead."

"Be thankful your mom wasn't raped by Hitler or Bush instead"

If EA or UBI were doing it, we'd get a FPS instead that'd at least be mostly immune to being declared a totally deep and stuff maaaaan! RPG.

Bradylama

Arcane
Or even better. They could've just sat on the property and we wouldn't have to suffer an awful sequel or spinoff.

Ladonna

Arcane
Is there some sort of base in the mountains that churns these creatures out? I can see a new storyline for an RPG here.....

I wonder who 'the Master' is this time?

Vault Dweller said:
Whatever you think of their games, Bethesda's one of the smartest designers in this business.
Spending an excessive amount of money on a franchise that most likely won't sell enough for you to make a profit, is smart now?

Drakron

Arcane
We would have better luck with EA ... EA does not take risks and we would get Fallout 2+1.

Ubisoft would likely to just get someone else to do it (likely Troika).

Higher Game

Arcane
Indeed, EA's ridiculous conservatism (especially with sports games) and assembly line games is what makes them (in)famous, and it's probably why Spore is getting so much attention, since it's actually a real risk.

But honestly, we don't want Fallout 1 and 2. We just want a new Fallout with some good new ideas, not level scaling and radiant "AI".

Drakron

Arcane
Problem is the "ideas".

Things that we believe are core to Fallout (such multi approach to quests) are going to be removed since its not something Bethsoft ever done, we see it as "Morrowind with Guns" because that is what Bethsoft only done so far.

Bethsoft also can mistaken why Fallout is rated "mature" and not "immature" ... sex for example is a mature theme that can easy be railroaded into a immature theme.

taxacaria

Scholar
Drakron said:
Bethsoft also can mistaken why Fallout is rated "mature" and not "immature" ... sex for example is a mature theme that can easy be railroaded into a immature theme.

To discuss that problem, they've decided to open a teeny forum 13+, so the desired audience can make suggestions.
Considering this, I can imagine the 'mature content' of Fallout 3. :roll:

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Vault Dweller said:
They're also one of the few still-standing indies.
They're also one of the few still-standing blues bands and impressionist artists.

Geez, how stupid can somebody be? Just why the fucking hell are Bethesda an indie developer? How can anyone be so stupid? They got a big pubisher. They are also a big publisher [they published that shit Star Trek game]. They are big. They are not independent. They are mainstream. And they could never be one of the few remaining indies, because there are a hell lot of indie devs out there.

Heck, does that retard even know what an indie is?

DarkSign

Erudite
Guys guys. This guy is just trying to break into game journalism's big time (with the fancy trips and free hotel stays and hooker bills) by writing drivel.

We all have to start from the ground up. He's merely playing the game. All that said...this guy writes worse than Steven Hawking swims.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
The problem is that Matt *is* a well known journalist.

"Matt Peckham's articles and stories have appeared in 1UP, Computer Games, Computer Gaming World, Electronic Gaming Monthly, Epiphany, GamePro, Games For Windows, Gamesradar, Gamespy, IGN, The Official Xbox Magazine, PC Gamer, PC World, The Sci-Fi Channel, SF Site, The Wargamer, and X-Play."

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom