Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Development Info Fallout 3: Who's who

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
Tags: Bethesda Softworks; Fallout 3; Gavin Carter

<b>Briosafreak</b> points out in his <a href=http://fallout3.wordpress.com/2007/04/20/fallout-3-producer-is-actually-a-nice-guy/>Fallout 3 blog</a> that Gavin “Kathode” Carter has revealed some information about who is who in the Fallout 3 team on the <a href=http://www.bethsoft.com/bgsforums/index.php?s=&showtopic=681407&view=findpost&p=9823853>official forums</a>:<blockquote>
<br>
Hayt is a designer who works under Emil. As for me, the various production titles here can get confusing, so let me explain. Todd Howard is the Executive Producer. For all intents and purposes, he is the studio and project director, and has ultimate say over everything we do. <b>We have a very open and collaborative atmosphere here, and Todd is always open to debate and revision, but at the end of the day, to borrow a phrase from Bush, he is the “decider”</b>.
<br>
<br>
Ashley is our studio Production Director. His job is to coordinate all the production efforts of our internal development across all the various projects we’re working on. This includes everything from the big ticket games, to smaller stuff like Oblivion downloadable content, localization issues, and making sure other cross-project people (QA for instance) know and respond to our needs. He manages how we distribute people’s time across the projects, and also makes sure all projects conform to good standard methods of scheduling and tracking.
<br>
<br>
I’m the Lead Producer on Fallout, meaning I’m the main production guy who is 100% focused solely on this project. I’m responsible for maintaining our overall schedule, setting up and communicating milestones, making sure everyone has the tools, equipment, and info they need to do their jobs, and hounding people to get stuff done on time. I’ve been on the project since the day we started working on it, and pretty much the day we went gold on Oblivion, I switched over to focusing completely on Fallout. I’m aided by an awesome team of four department producers who focus on either programmers, artists, or designers. Hope this helps clear it up!
<br>
</blockquote>I guess illusion of choice seems to be deeply rooted in Bethesda, from game design to game development.
<br>
<br>
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://fallout3.wordpress.com/">Fallout 3: A Post-Nuclear Blog</A>

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
I mentioned it before, but just in case someone missed it: MSFD is the lead programmer.

Shoelip

Arbiter
Heh, did you make this thread just so you could bash Toddler? This is my problem with the Codex, all these redundant threads making points that most of the people here already agree with. Yes, Todd is the W. Bush of video games. We know!

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
Shoelip said:
Heh, did you make this thread just so you could bash Toddler? This is my problem with the Codex, all these redundant threads making points that most of the people here already agree with. Yes, Todd is the W. Bush of video games. We know!

Yes, I created a news post and a thread for the sole purpose of bashing Toddles. Giving people some details on the people developing Fallout 3 is just to cover up the bashing.

Were stupid pills on discount where you live?

Shoelip

Arbiter
Excuse me for making the most likely conclusion after taking your comments into account. Oh well, I guess some people on these forums have any idea who the other people mentioned in the article are.

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
Shoelip said:
Excuse me for making the most likely conclusion after taking your comments into account.

Shouldn't people be used to some sarcastic or corrosive comments on news posts, regardless of the news item itself? Besides, the jab wasn't even at Toddles specifically.

Shoelip

Arbiter
Role-Player said:
Shoelip said:
Excuse me for making the most likely conclusion after taking your comments into account.

Shouldn't people be used to some sarcastic or corrosive comments on news posts, regardless of the news item itself? Besides, the jab wasn't even at Toddles specifically.

Oh wait, this is in news comments. :shock: I clicked on it from the main page. Well I guess it's news, nm. Yay, I made an ass of myself! :roll:

Vault Dweller

Developer
Shoelip said:
Oh well, I guess some people on these forums have any idea who the other people mentioned in the article are.
Are we supposed to make news post aimed at people who can barely tell one gaming company from another?

The Codex: Doesn't scale to your level.

Fez

Erudite
I vote that becomes the new tagline, seeing as we couldn't have Shagnak's one.

Shoelip

Arbiter
Vault Dweller said:
Shoelip said:
Oh well, I guess some people on these forums have any idea who the other people mentioned in the article are.
Are we supposed to make news post aimed at people who can barely tell one gaming company from another?

The Codex: Doesn't scale to your level.

I don't view corporations as groups of people. The corporation is more than the people who work for it. Just look at EA. What I know, and what I care about, is that I like Morrowind, which got me interested in Arena, which I also liked. Then I played Daggerfall and like it more than either of them. Then I played Oblivion and was totally disappointed. Not just by the game itself but by everything Bethesda did in relation to it. I've never played Fallout 1 and I can't find it anywhere but I really liked Fallout 2 and I can't picture Bethesda making a worthy sequel to it. It really doesn't matter to me who is currently working at Bethesda because Todd is in charge.

Also, don't you think that tagline would make it seem like the Codex was too concentrated on Oblivion?

Amasius

Augur
Shoelip said:
Also, don't you think that tagline would make it seem like the Codex was too concentrated on Oblivion?
How so? Is Oblivion the only game where you can gain levels? :innocent smile:

Shoelip

Arbiter
Oblivion is currently the most famous instance of level scaling in a game.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Shoelip said:
I don't view corporations as groups of people. The corporation is more than the people who work for it.
Sure. Yet Bethesda that made Daggerfall is very different from Bethesda that made Oblivion. What's the different ingredient? People.

...I can't picture Bethesda making a worthy sequel to it. It really doesn't matter to me who is currently working at Bethesda because Todd is in charge.
Sure. Yet "Morrowind with guns" Fallout could be an enjoyable game, while "Oblivion with guns" Fallout would be utter crap not worth playing at all.

Shoelip

Arbiter
Vault Dweller said:
Shoelip said:
I don't view corporations as groups of people. The corporation is more than the people who work for it.
Sure. Yet Bethesda that made Daggerfall is very different from Bethesda that made Oblivion. What's the different ingredient? People.

...I can't picture Bethesda making a worthy sequel to it. It really doesn't matter to me who is currently working at Bethesda because Todd is in charge.
Sure. Yet "Morrowind with guns" Fallout could be an enjoyable game, while "Oblivion with guns" Fallout would be utter crap not worth playing at all.

Ok, I see what you're saying. I don't know who those people are though so I guess that's my problem. Can anyone tell me? All I know is that guy Emil worked on the Thief series, which I only played the demos of, and worked on the stealth aspects of Oblivion which were so-so.

I assume by "Morrowind with guns" you mean; staying mostly true to the series, and providing an interesting world to explore, whereas "Oblivion with guns" means; completely disregarding the spirit of the series in order to pull in as many new fans as possible and a boring, generic world to explore. Is that about right?

psycojester

Arbiter
If the codex was a democracy i would certainly be running a smear campaign against the current slogan in order to support the change to "The Codex: Doesn't scale to your level."

Shannow

Waster of Time
Doesn't scale to your level vs putting the "role" back in rpg

Tough one. How about you change every other week. Like children of divorced parents ;)

Talorc

Liturgist
The weirdest thing I have read regarding team Bethesda and the "decider" recently is their movie theater for playing new games.

How is watching some one else playing fun? I would guess all the loyal employees get dragged in to watch the chief decider play the latest game, and generally adulate him.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom