Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Geneforge 4 interview at RPG Vault

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Tags: Geneforge 4; Spiderweb Software

<a href=http://rpgvault.ign.com>RPG Vault</a> has posted an <a href=http://rpgvault.ign.com/articles/772/772306p1.html>interview</a> with Jeff Vogel, explaining what <a href=http://www.spiderwebsoftware.com/geneforge4/index.html>Geneforge 4</a> is all about:
<br>
<br>
<blockquote><b>Does this mean different endings are possible? And how much playing time can the average player expect?</b>
<br>
<br>
Your final objective will be to save the rebellion, or to crush it. Of course, depending what you choose, your play experience will change drastically. There are dozens of different possible endings, many happier than the others.
<br>
<br>
Playing through the game for the first time will probably take about 30 to 40 hours. However, since you can play again with a completely different goal and tactics, and since there are tons of side quests and optional dungeons, you can get much more gameplay than that.</blockquote>It's one of the best Jeff's games to-date, so do try the demo.
<br>
<br>
<br>
Thanks, Woetohice

Psilon

Erudite
The game's significantly better than most of the recent Spiderweb output. Brennus is probably an Exile/Nethergate partisan.

Amasius

Augur
Nah, Brennus buys only games in shiny boxes for his biiiiiig collection. He sticks to his principles. :wink:

mytgroo

Scholar
Geneforge 4 is his best game to date. I found Avernum 4 to be pretty boring in comparision. Blades of Avernum got stale after a while too. Geneforge 4 has some pretty interesting graphics and game play.

Psilon

Erudite
Yeah, I was not impressed by Avernum 4. Blades of Avernum was pretty fun, but the built-in modules aren't really replayable. I play BoA about twice a year when new user scenarios are available.

The problem with Geneforge 3 was the relative linearity. Not many options, not many new creatures or creations, and a highly linear plot. GF4's got plenty of chokepoints, don't get me wrong, but it also has more ways to go about quests than straight kill-all-Shapers and kill-all-rebels.

Micmu

Magister
For what is worth, GF4 has more changes from GF3 than previous sequels had from each other.
They are not as radical as with Avernum 3 -> Avernum 4 though.

Mr Happy

Scholar
Just downloaded the demo. Is it worth playing previous ones, or are they really all pretty much the same?

Fez

Erudite
If you liked the demo and GF4, then I'd say yes. GF4 is probably the best so far though.

Psilon

Erudite
It's worth playing GF1, as it provides the most gradual introduction to Shaping technology. The later games will frequently assume you've played it, either by referencing earlier games' events or by omitting creature descriptions.

Nedrah

Erudite
I don't know what I'm doing wrong.
I tried playing GF1, which seemed pretty damn shallow with just too many rough edges and basic fuckups. Now, GF2 seemed a bit better at first, however it seems to develop into too much random fighting and not enough interesting choices and dialogue pretty fast. To be fair, I have only put a few hours into it - however, it takes a concious effort to make myself play it, it's not something I really look forward to. Is it worth it to keep playing gf2 if I didn't like the first few hours, or should I just skip ahead to GF 4?

Nedrah

Erudite
Well, if there's not much of a difference it'd seem I'd either have to get into what's into GF2 or there'd be no point at going to 4.

I'd just hate to write off an actually decent oldschool RPG to soon, seeing how the only other option is replaying old games or going full out retro.

MF

The Boar Studio
Patron
Developer
Make sure you play a Shaper with good Leadership. The other characters are boring to play with. The replayability comes from dialogue options and quest- and story branches, not from the option to choose three classes. I don't even know why Jeff included Guardians and Agents. I tried both, and I had no fun whatsoever.

Hazelnut

Erudite
Sir_Brennus said:
Amasius said:
Nah, Brennus buys only games in shiny boxes for his biiiiiig collection. He sticks to his principles. :wink:

Yep. Coudn't have said it more precisely. :)

So does that imply you don't actually play the games that come in the nice shiny boxes? Nothing else would make logical sense to my mind... not that that makes any sense at all. :roll:

Sir_Brennus

Scholar
Hazelnut said:
Sir_Brennus said:
Amasius said:

Yep. Coudn't have said it more precisely. :)

So does that imply you don't actually play the games that come in the nice shiny boxes? Nothing else would make logical sense to my mind... not that that makes any sense at all. :roll:

Of course I play them. Probably not all of them, because some DO suck! At the moment I play NWN2, FF7 (2. time), DS2, PST (2. time), NWN-DoD, TQ, TES4, DX1 (2. time).

I plan to play WORLD OF CHAOS and SILVERFALL intensivly, when those darn games finally arrive here.

I don't play JV games because I think they suck since the day I tried BLADES OF EXILE for the first time. It does not make sense for me to play them, too, because I couldn't finish them because of their shareware/no boxed version origin. What I play has to shelfed boxed in my home office.

I own 218 CRPGs now, all of them in a box - some of them as parts of compilations naturally. I also own some shareware games (e. g. Escape from Ragor), but only because I could buy them in a box.

I will buy and play AoD when it's finished, but only if VD ships the game to europe - no digital download crap for me.

Hazelnut

Erudite
I must say that I don't understand your logic then... sure, any game that you can get the box, do so, but to not play games because you can't get them in a box seems illogical unless the box itself is the sole end and you're not even interested in playing.

Still, it takes all sorts.. carry on. :D

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Sir_Brennus said:
I don't play JV games (...) It does not make sense for me to play them, too, because I couldn't finish them because of their shareware/no boxed version origin. What I play has to shelfed boxed in my home office.
What?

You're missing out on some really good games, but hey, it's your choice. I guess some people only read books printed in September 1986 and/or with a blue cover, too.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom