Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review Jade Empire review at Gamespy

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
Tags: BioWare; Jade Empire

<a href=http://www.gamespy.com>Gamespy</a> has written a <a href=http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/jade-empire/767644p2.html>review</a> for that gook brawler with dialogue and a lesbian twist, <a href=http://jade.empire.com>Jade Empire<a>. A <b>4/5</b> rating lands on <a href=http://www.bioware.com>Bioware</a>'s title, but it's not without some flaws:<blockquote>
<br>
Late in the game, the player is presented with one extremely important choice that will determine the fate of the Jade Empire. After completing the "Open Palm" route, I carefully tried to adhere to the "Closed Fist" approach, threading my way through the game's dialogue and choosing whatever came closest to the "tough love" philosophy. This was reflected in a nearly complete Closed Fist meter, but when I decided to restore the harmonic balance of the Empire at the end, the meter shot up to just short of a perfect Open Palm rating, and I got the "good" ending and postscripts. How could that one choice obliterate all the monstrous deeds I had done to get to that point? Ultimately, it made all the choices I had made in the game feel meaningless; I did replay and make a different choice to get the "bad" ending, but by that point it felt hollow.
<br>
</blockquote>Why wasn't this a concern with Throne of Bhaal and Knights of the Old Republic? Both games suffered from this.
<br>
<br>
Thanks, <b>Greatatlantic</b>!

Fez

Erudite
Oops. You'll summon Rex's wrath if you keep that up. :P

Fez

Erudite
Exactly! Say it another two times and he'll pop up out of nowhere to haunt you and then force one of us to marry him or else be spinepunched. It's not worth the risk. :lol:

Txiasaeia

Novice
"Gook," short for "han-gook saram," would be an epithet for Koreans. Jade Empire takes place in China, if I recall correctly.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Role-Player said:
Why wasn't this a concern with Throne of Bhaal and Knights of the Old Republic? Both games suffered from this.
As did Bloodlines, though in that case, you only got the options provided you'd done certain things to get them. It wasn't hard to get all of them though. Mind you that was also pointed out by Saint in his review I think.

Bradylama

Arcane
I remember I was confused my first play-through as an Anarch and was confused by what the endgame-choices were implying. Ended up choosing the "take power for myself" option on accident and had a good laugh.

Journeyman

Novice
Same thing in BG2 where pretty much at the end you could 'rechoose' your alignments in an alignment sort of minigame. I don't care about "endgames" anyway. I just don't like the chapter system usually in Bioware games.

GhanBuriGhan

Erudite
Well, if (even) a site like Gamespy notices how unfulfuilling that is, maybe there is hope for mankind.

suibhne

Erudite
I couldn't care less whether a late-game choice basically resets your alignment meter; that's a symptom. The problem is that the late-game choice exists in the first place. I can't offhand recall a single game where such choices were satisfying rather than supremely irritating.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom