Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview 1UP previews Shivering Isles

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Tags: Bethesda Softworks; Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

<a href=http://www.1up.com>1UP</a> has posted a <a href=http://www.1up.com/do/previewPage?cId=3157026&sec=PREVIEWS>Shivering Isles preview</a>:
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>As if grappling with the Prince of Destruction wasn't enough, Sheogorath--the Daedric Prince of Madness--needs a hero.</blockquote>No kidding. Didn't see that coming.
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>"Basically, there's an impending threat to Sheogorath's realm, and because of the nature of that threat, he needs a mortal's help," explains Shivering Isles' lead designer Mark Nelson. "Players will need to rise in the ranks of the Court of Madness in order to earn the respect of the citizens of the Shivering Isles and eventually repel the threat."</blockquote>Because the citizens are too proud to accept help from someone they don't respect. :honorblade:
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>Adolescent power fantasy redux? Maybe not. While Nelson admits you'll still engage in a healthy amount of "find this" and "kill that"--"Let's face it," he argues...</blockquote>Every time a Bethesda developer says "let's face it", you know you are in for a treat. "Let's face it - when you talk about ranged combat in an RPG, you're talking about bows. - Gavin Legolas Carter". Anyway, where were we?
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>"Let's face it," he argues, "The Lord of the Rings was really just one big FedEx quest."--the ambience sounds delightfully demented. </blockquote>Yep. Even Fallout is a FedEx game. "Bring me a waterchip!" How lame! Of course, one may argue that there is a significant difference between an overarching complex "FedEx" quest requiring countless quests/adventures to advance the storyline from point A to point Z, and Bethesda's "take this item and fast-travel it from point A to point B for a reward and new rank"...
<br>
<br>
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.rpgwatch.com">RPG Watch</A>

Durwyn

Prophet
"Lets face it" (bethesda TM)... Oblivion killed the Elders Scroll franchise for true rpg gamers.

Oarfish

Prophet
Because the citizens are too proud to accept help from someone they don't respect.

So far, so Gothic. That mechanic is way overused.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Vault Dweller said:
<blockquote>"Basically, there's an impending threat to Sheogorath's realm, and because of the nature of that threat, he needs a mortal's help," explains Shivering Isles' lead designer Mark Nelson.

Just for the sake of logic, why would a god need the help of a mortal?

Durwyn

Prophet
JarlFrank said:
Vault Dweller said:
<blockquote>"Basically, there's an impending threat to Sheogorath's realm, and because of the nature of that threat, he needs a mortal's help," explains Shivering Isles' lead designer Mark Nelson.

It's Beth logic... don't even try to understand it..

Kraken

Scholar
Seriously, I love these overly sarcastic newsposts. Truly excellent writing.

Texas Red

Whiner
JarlFrank said:
Vault Dweller said:

Because its the realm of madness. Duh!

I hereby propose entering "Let's Face It..." into official Codex lexicon.

"Let's face it, you're gonna be fucked over by someone in life, might as well be us." ~ Bethesda Developer.

These Bethesda developers make me sick to my stomach. I don't know how anyone can have confidence in these guys to develop a good RPG. And I don't give a shit that they have Emeril Lagasse or whatever the fuck his name is working on Fallout 3, the majority of these guys are tainted with stupidity.

mister lamat

Scholar

as a witness to the fact that he himself could microwave a burrito so hot that he himself could not eat it... no point in being a god if you can't do shit to make the lambs bleet.

Journeyman

Novice
I just hope the "rising in the ranks" of court doesn't mean that they want to give you the image of actually having any power in the game. Like just gaining access to more loot and a room or two, I think they actually let you do power orientated things like set traps and build a Guardian in the game but want that linked to a Faction role.
Also I don't like step ladddering through factions, I do that in real life, Well maybe not all the time. I would like to take power by conning people in conversation or quest. At level 1 go too someones funeral and pretend I care. Marry into the family. Next thing you know I am leading a realm but I am inexperienced so I get taken advantage of because of weak reputation.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Journeyman said:
I just hope the "rising in the ranks" of court doesn't mean that they want to give you the image of actually having any power in the game. Like just gaining access to more loot and a room or two, I think they actually let you do power orientated things like set traps and build a Guardian in the game but want that linked to a Faction role.
Also I don't like step ladddering through factions, I do that in real life, Well maybe not all the time. I would like to take power by conning people in conversation or quest. At level 1 go too someones funeral and pretend I care. Marry into the family. Next thing you know I am leading a realm but I am inexperienced so I get taken advantage of because of weak reputation.

Leave that job over to talented people. Bethesda are too busy thinking about implementing choices without consequences. And making possible consequences erasable.
"Oh noes, I entered the wrong gate! Let's go back and take the other."

Journeyman

Novice
"Let's face it," he argues, "The Lord of the Rings was really just one big FedEx quest."--the ambience sounds delightfully demented.

First of all, LotR was a book and movie, not a game. I am not a big fan of "Main Quests" in a game anyway as they detract from the overall manipulation of the world. That's why I was a fan of Daggerfall's multiple endings.
Main quests are for books.

Arcanum is kinda cool as I can fall into a certain life role and I think it has very many endings I haven't finished it yet.
PC Gamer hated that and downgraded it because of that. I thought it was a major plus and a boost for the genre.

Journeyman

Novice
One previewr said there was a sense of accomplishment in SI as the side quests have allot more effect on the game so that's a plus, as he said he didn't feel that with OBL and only played it once.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Journeyman said:
Arcanum is kinda cool as I can fall into a certain life role and I think it has very many endings I haven't finished it yet.
PC Gamer hated that and downgraded it because of that. I thought it was a major plus and a boost for the genre.

Please, give me a link or anything else to proove it so I can believe it.
This sounds just so fucking retarted that it nearly makes me get my sword and run out massacring random people.

Why the fuck would anyone downgrade a game because it has multiple endings? They are one of the best features available for any game's story, as they add a lot of replay value and make the game much more interesting. Just the most retarted mainstream fucks downgrade a game because of a great feature.

Or maybe they just used it as an excuse to give it an even lower score, because the graffix suxxored.

Journeyman

Novice
JarlFrank said:
Journeyman said:

Please, give me a link or anything else to proove it so I can believe it.
This sounds just so fucking retarted that it nearly makes me get my sword and run out massacring random people.

Why the fuck would anyone downgrade a game because it has multiple endings? They are one of the best features available for any game's story, as they add a lot of replay value and make the game much more interesting. Just the most retarted mainstream fucks downgrade a game because of a great feature.

Or maybe they just used it as an excuse to give it an even lower score, because the graffix suxxored.

Ah, they only have the reviews.

http://www.pcgamer.com/archives/2005/06/arcanum.html

Actually it was in a side article on Arcanum I think in the magazine and I don't have it anymore.
The review is positive though and likes the multiple endings or paths.
Some article said they thought that the game really didn't have any main story at all or was inaccessible but I love that as long as it's balanced right. I don't mind really getting nothing accomplished in a game except being maybe a tradesman if I want and then finish as a powerful trader or never "finish."

Journeyman

Novice
OK found it it was a Computer Gaming World article. He was upset that he seemed locked out of certain quests arcs at the end of the game. It was probably because his reputation might have been very bad. He also complained that he did a quest in a wrong way sometimes and then it wouldn't finish the quest. I thought you could go back and redo quests in Arcanum.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_z ... ziff103481

Oh well I am off too finish Arcanum and Daggerfall too so I can compare to SI.

Another thing about Fed Ex quests is that that's what they are from point A to B with no minor twists in between. There is allot of linear questing in Daggerfdall so far but most arer part of major quests.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom