Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Game Developers Choice Awards finalists

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Tags: Bethesda Softworks; Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

<a href=http://biz.gamedaily.com>Game Daily</a> reports that <a href=http://biz.gamedaily.com/industry/feature/?id=15176>the finalists</a> for the seventh annual Game Developers Choice Awards described as the "industry's only open peer-based awards to <b>honor the greatest games and developers</b> of the past year" have been chosen. Needless to say, Oblivion and Bethesda are pretty much as great as it gets these days, so...
<br>
<br>
<blockquote><b>Best Game</b>
<br>
Gears of War (Epic Games / Microsoft Game Studios)
<br>
Okami (Clover Studio / Capcom Entertainment)
<br>
The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion (Bethesda Game Studios / 2K Games/Bethesda Softworks)
<br>
The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (Nintendo EAD / Nintendo)
<br>
Wii Sports (Nintendo)
<br>
<br>
<b>Game Design</b>
<br>
Bully (Rockstar Vancouver / Rockstar Games)
<br>
<br>
The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion (Bethesda Game Studios / 2K Games/Bethesda Softworks)
<br>
Viva Piñata (Rare / Microsoft Game Studios)
<br>
Wii Sports (Nintendo)
<br>
<br>
<b>Visual Arts</b>
<br>
Final Fantasy XII (Square Enix)
<br>
Gears of War (Epic Games / Microsoft Game Studios)
<br>
<br>
<br>
Viva Piñata (Rare / Microsoft Game Studios)
<br>
<br>
<b>Writing</b>
<br>
Bully (Rockstar Vancouver / Rockstar Games)
<br>
Dreamfall: The Longest Journey (Funcom / Aspyr Media)
<br>
Sam & Max Episode 1: Culture Shock (Telltale Games / GameTap)
<br>
<br>
The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (Nintendo EAD / Nintendo)</blockquote>Writing?
<br>
<br>
<br>

Jason

chasing a bee
Gimmicks seem to have been very big in 2006. Also, Viva Pinata is the Strategy Game of the Year according to 1UP. Thought you'd like to know.

FrancoTAU

Cipher
Odd choices for writing even when I try to think outside of my narrow view. I played some Zelda with my nephew... it was decent Disneyish stuff but is there really nothing else out there in 06? I gotta go on hearsay on the non existant writing for Oblivion too.

Pegultagol

Erudite
Critical evaluation of anything written in video games is a lot like judging the intricacies of ballroom dancing participated by midgets.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
If Game Developers actually came up with this list of finalists, that pretty much explains the current status of video games.

Oblivion in the WRITING Category? You have got to be fucking kidding me.

** Slits wrists with a rusty razor blade **

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
FF12 should be in there for all categories. Stupid dumbasses.

Bradylama

Arcane
OKAMIS GONNA FUCKIN SWEEP THE AWARDS YO

WHITE DOG BASHIN ON ALL THEM IMP NIGGAS REPRESENT FAR EAST SIDE WU TANG

Lord Chambers

Erudite
Calm down bitches, Oblivion is in the writing category for inspiring the Angel Tears Role Play. "Stopp dat poeison!"

Globbi

Augur
I've already seen Oblivion as winner of the best story award of some other site so no surprise ;/

Stalagmite

Scholar
"I saw a mudcrab the other day"

"I heard the fighters guild is recruiting"

OFG! GREAT WORK OF LITERATURE!!

"Die Fetcher!"

very well thought out emotional, moving writing right there. thumbs up!

Meh. What do you you expect in the days of liberal softism?

taxacaria

Scholar
writing in Oblivion?
maybe someone has found some books with mature content like 'The lusty Argonian maid' or 'Rude Song' or ' The banker's bed' which were copied from Daggerfall...

Micmu

Magister
I always thought those mainstream gaming sites are to games what MTV is to music, but this is too funny.
After a GAME FOR KIDS has been titled Strategy Game of The Year, now this... :lol:

GhanBuriGhan

Erudite
As sad as that statement is for the industry as a whole, but I would be hard pressed to name a mainstream game that actually clearly beats Oblivion last year in the writing department. None that I played, at least. From what I hear, only Gothic 3, really, and I aint playing that until several more patches.

Don't get me wrong, I was deeply dissapointed by Oblivions writing, mostly because of the general linearity, and its disconnect from lore. But still, there was for a game these days an extraordinary amount of it, and some reasonably amusing quest ideas. The games that impressed me with writing last year, were all old games I had not previously played (Betrayal at Krondor) or indie games (teudogar).

dunduks

Liturgist
I don't know what Oblivion is doing there, but Okami really deserves Visual Arts reward.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Lord Chambers said:
Calm down bitches, Oblivion is in the writing category for inspiring the Angel Tears Role Play. "Stopp dat poeison!"
:lol: Priceless!

aries202

Erudite
Maybe writing in PC games should be called rather
scripting, like best script for at movie at the Oscars and the Golen Globe Awards(tm)

ETA:

Several gamers have mentioned that at least The dark Brotherhood in Oblivion has
a decent, way above story line. And looking through my guide book to Oblivion, I've found that even the Figthers Guild's quests seem to be having a darker than normal for Oblivion.

Also, the sidequests in Oblivion are some of the best I've seen in a game --- in a very, very, long time.

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Vault Dweller said:
They deserve that nomination more than the one in Game Design.

My Winners:

<b>Best Game</b>
Wii Sports (Nintendo)

<b>Game Design</b>
Sam & Max Episode 1: Culture Shock (Telltale Games / GameTap)

<b>Visual Arts</b>
Geneforge 4 (Spiderweb Software)

<b>Writing</b>
Wii Sports (Nintendo)

don_tomaso

Liturgist
Maybe they went for quantity, not quality? Cause I mean, hey 400 books or whatever they have, plus all that mudcrabshit, that has got to be the game with largest amount of writing in 2006..

Next year I´ll fill a txtfile with two zillion lines of just letters, claim it as a textbased ABC-learning game, and win that damn award.. Fame, here I cum

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom