Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview The Witcher sightings at ActionTrip

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
Tags: CD Projekt; Witcher, The

<a href=http://www.actiontrip.com/>ActionTrip</a> has a 2-page <a href=http://www.actiontrip.com/previews/thewitcher.phtml>preview</a> of <a href=http://www.cdprojekt.com/>CD Projekt</a>'s upcoming title, <a href=http://www.thewitcher.com/witcher.asp>The Witcher</a>. The preview mostly just talks about combat, though.
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>
<br>
What's more to the point, defying miscellaneous creatures requires you to perform a particular strike and apply specific swordfighting styles depending on the enemy's origin and its basic characteristics. Silver and steel fighting styles represent sub-styles in combat. If, by chance, you come across a werewolf or similar entities, using the silver style will, understandably, induce greater damage than resorting to the typical steel technique. Every once in a while, it's possible to use magically enhanced ruins and upgrade weapons. In order to do so, of course, you're gonna have to pay a visit to the local smithy.
<br>
</blockquote>
<br>
<br>
Sounds nice, but hopefully this will translate into something other than simply choosing a style and clicking until something drops dead.
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>
<br>
As you travel through the realm and fight against monsters, scores of potions will be available and could enhance the character's skills. Most of these though, come with certain side effects. <u>Drinking alcohol, for instance, blurs the character's vision and severely influences his combat abilities. The good thing is that drinking alcohol improves Geralt's social skills, which makes it easier for him to gather information from certain NPCs.</u> Other potions may cause other debilitating side effects such as temporary blindness or significant decrease in a particular attribute.
<br>
</blockquote>
<br>
<br>
So the good news is that Geralt will be able to charm the ladies, the bad news is he'll only find out it was a man the next morning.
<br>
<br>
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.rpgwatch.com">RPG Watch</A>

elander_

Arbiter
There was a lot to say about alchool improving social stats with kids who are starting to drink and don't know how to do it, but the idea isn't at all bad in a video game. It's just that it's nothing new or special. We all know already of: using silver against werewolves, using maces against skeletons, using magic enchanted wepons against ghosts, using fire enchanted weapons on undead, using decapitation on vampires and undead. Just the usual uninspired recycling of old ideas.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I will take a good (action) RPG using uninspired, recycled ideas over no RPG at all any day. This draught is terrible. There's almost nothing to look forward to. I don't like the concept of the Twitcher, and he looks a bit like a non-homoerotic Drizzt without lavender eyes, but it just might be the pleasant surprise I have been waiting for.

I mean, it's Polish! In Germany, the Polish people are famed for working very, very quickly and with extreme skill; that's why they come here and work as carpenters and the like. They are about ten times faster than a German carpenter and want half the pay. I hope this also translates into their game-developing abilities.

Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming!
eleander_ said:
There was a lot to say about alchool improving social stats with kids who are starting to drink and don't know how to do it, but the idea isn't at all bad in a video game. It's just that it's nothing new or special. We all know already of: using silver against werewolves, using maces against skeletons, using magic enchanted wepons against ghosts, using fire enchanted weapons on undead, using decapitation on vampires and undead. Just the usual uninspired recycling of old ideas.

Your post ist actually a huge load of BS. The witcher scenario is not unispired or recycled at all, did you care to read about it a bit? Did you care reading the codex interview about the game concepts?

Its actually one of the games Im looking forward too. The devs promise much. Of course, promises are just that- promises. But at least they promise the right things (mostly at least).

@Role-Player: Give us some time to rest with all that news dude! ;)

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Umm, I was responding to elander_ who mentions that the combat ideas are uninspired and recycled. I never quote someone if I post directly after him; sorry, my fault.

But I am saying, even if it /was/ uninspired and recycled I would still be looking forward to it.

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
elander_ said:
Well, kinda, but how many RPGs actually implement those ideas well? And that's what counts.
I think you're dismissing these ideas too easily.

PS: I can't believe the author felt the need to explain the Star Wars reference.

Jasede said:
Umm, I was responding to elander_ who mentions that the combat ideas are uninspired and recycled. I never quote someone if I post directly after him; sorry, my fault.

But I am saying, even if it /was/ uninspired and recycled I would still be looking forward to it.

Sorry, I actually meant to quote eleanders post. Little mistake, I corrected it.

Role-Player said:
So the good news is that Geralt will be able to charm the ladies, the bad news is he'll only find out it was a man the next morning.

Or he'll find "Welcome to the world of AIDS" scrawled on the bathroom mirror and become 347 times more vulnerable to disease.

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
This only means you will be drinking alcohol every time when interracting with an NPC to get all the dialog and be succesfull in persuasion. I dunno...
Btw, is there any social skills in the game or characteristics that influence them (e.g. intelligence)? And if there are, doesn't the alcohol render them useless as you can just take a couple of shots and be charismatic all of a sudden?

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
I go by the news as best I can though I'm pretty much a newbie at this. Between working hours, trying to get sleep, annoying knee pains, writing reviews, trying to play some games and appeasing the Fierce Girlfriend Diety, I try to get some news as fast as possible :)

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Quit your job, buy an espresso machine, chop your legs off and burn the stumps and ditch your girlfriend to become even better!

Gnidrologist said:
This only means you will be drinking alcohol every time when interracting with an NPC to get all the dialog and be succesfull in persuasion. I dunno...
Btw, is there any social skills in the game or characteristics that influence them (e.g. intelligence)? And if there are, doesn't the alcohol render them useless as you can just take a couple of shots and be charismatic all of a sudden?

As far as I remember, unfortunatly the devs said there would be no social skills, as youre pretty much playing the character created by sapkowski, with all his intelligence, wit blabla.

I think thats close to how the devs put it in theif faq.

However, i think they mentioned something on how your reputation in the gameworld may affect dialogue choices, would have to check though to find the exact quote.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
It sounds like a non-buggy Gothic 3 to me, just that you don't play the nameless ponytail, but rather, the.... dual-blading elf (or human?) emo.

elander_

Arbiter
Claw said:
Well, kinda, but how many RPGs actually implement those ideas well? And that's what counts. I think you're dismissing these ideas too easily.

Maybe the novels the game is inspired have borrowed or recycled the concept of werewolf and in this case it makes sense, but in terms of game mechanics it's pretty much the nothing special standard. We just buy a silver weapon and get a chance to inflict more damage.

Kraszu

Prophet
He fight whit one sward at a time not 2, he needs silver one and metal one because some monsters can be only kill whit silver, but they dealt less damage.

Gnidrologist said:

I think that it will only work in specific scenario like showed in video where he drunk some alcohol to persuade guard to drink whit him. I hope that it will work that way since effect of it should depend on circumstances, king would not be very happy if you would go meat him drunk for example.

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
king would not be very happy if you would go meat him drunk for example
Depends...
T304449A.jpg

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again!
Imagine goin' to the king the "Witcher Way": 0.5l of vodka and 2 beers for the taste. Now you can fully use your persuasion skills... I hope drinking alcohol will be via dialogue not just default-buffing-before-significant-conversations.

Btw, all you people can do something good and read the witcher saga no matter if you're waiting for the game or not. I'm afraid some of you will never do it after the game comes out...

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
elander_ said:
Maybe the novels the game is inspired have borrowed or recycled the concept of werewolf and in this case it makes sense, but in terms of game mechanics it's pretty much the nothing special standard. We just buy a silver weapon and get a chance to inflict more damage.
I've known what it means in terms of game mechanics from the first day I followed The Witcher.
In most RPGs I never bother to use specific weapons, either because my magic sword of utter destruction +4000 is the best choice for all situations anyway or because the differences are too subtle to justify the hassle.
It would be a pleasant surprise if I ever encountered an RPG where skeletons actually possess a significant resistance to cutting damage, or where I actually need to change to my silver sword to effectively fight werewolves.
The gameplay of The Witcher is supposed to revolve around just that: Different weapons (mostly the two swords ) and combat styles for different enemies. Talk about "recycling old ideas" as much as you want, if The Witcher actually manages to accomplish what it promises, it'll be the first RPG of that kind I play.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom