Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review RPG Dot does NWN2 - 9/10!

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Tags: Neverwinter Nights 2; Obsidian Entertainment

The new <a href=http://www.rpgdot.com>RPG Dot</a> team of the best and the brightest has wasted no time <a href=http://www.rpgdot.com/index.php?hsaction=10053&ID=1247>reviewing</a> Neverwinter Nights 2 and slapping 9/10 on it.
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>It goes without saying that the original Neverwinter Nights was an outstanding success both with the critics and sales of the game. It is still widely played to this day, and has shown that not only is it a fantastic game, but it has longevity to the extreme too.</blockquote>A very promising beginning.
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>The combat and general skills in the game seem to follow the D&D rule set far closer than the original, and this came out very well in the game play.</blockquote>Good to know.
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>Overall Neverwinter Nights 2 stands up to the great name of the original game, and in this writer's opinion to the world of D&D as a whole. There is a fantastic story and lots of lore for those who enjoy that sort of thing, superb combat, and of course the toolset adds that extra element both in extending your options, and giving you a world of new campaigns to play online and offline. The issues and bugs with the game do let it down quite a bit unfortunately, but from what I have seen the Devs seem to be listening to peoples views and hopefully it will be a far more solid game in a few patches time.</blockquote>Somehow the reviewer managed to write a review without saying much about the game.
<br>
<br>
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.rpgwatch.com">RPG Watch</A>

I don't know, it seems as if every game that's aggressively marketed receives a grade of 8+. Supposedly games are getting better and better, yet I find myself playing older games more and more. I'm about 20% through NWN2, and it's ok at best (though I read that it gets better deeper into the game). But does it really deserve a 9.0?

Overall: 9 - Good solid game, there is little doubting it will be a commercial success for a while yet.

A 9.0 rating is considered to be a "good, solid game"? I would hope a 9.0 rating would mean the game is fantastic, just shy of perfection. These high scores get thrown around so frequently, it seems as if the rating table now just runs from 6.0 - 10.0.

Dhruin

Liturgist
It's "definitely" for chrissakes. "D-E-F-I-N-I-T-E-L-Y". I can ignore the other errors.

POD

Novice
rpgdot.com can now join the growing list of games review sites written by total illiterates who know nothing about role-playing games and who can't type because their fingers are paralyzed from hitting the console buttons on their gamepads all day long while playing whatever version of super mario brothers is the flavor of the month.

elander_

Arbiter
From the review:

"The combat and general skills in the game seem to follow the D&D rule set far closer than the original, and this came out very well in the game play."

I tend to agree with people that say D&D ruleset is screwing things up a bit the way they are using it which doesn't follow D&D at all - the game can't be played in turn-base mode which isn't just a minor detail but a core feature in D&D ruleset.

sheek

Arbiter
True and what the fuck is the "D&D World"? Do they mean Forgotten Realms?

Somehow I doubt this kid has ever played D&D.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
No. I doubt I'll be playing NWN2 again unlesss oemthing mahgically changes. The OC was fun the first (and only time) through. Other than that, NWN2 has been a dissapointment. :(

Atrokkus

Erudite
Dhruin -- those people at the today's RPGDot are like maggots that you left behind when you died and gained second life on RPGWatch. How abhorring.

Jim Kata

Arbiter
Chinese Jetpilot said:
I don't know, it seems as if every game that's aggressively marketed receives a grade of 8+. Supposedly games are getting better and better, yet I find myself playing older games more and more. I'm about 20% through NWN2, and it's ok at best (though I read that it gets better deeper into the game). But does it really deserve a 9.0?

Overall: 9 - Good solid game, there is little doubting it will be a commercial success for a while yet.

A 9.0 rating is considered to be a "good, solid game"? I would hope a 9.0 rating would mean the game is fantastic, just shy of perfection. These high scores get thrown around so frequently, it seems as if the rating table now just runs from 6.0 - 10.0.

I would probably give it around a 7.0 or "Worth playing but nothing to get excited about"

Moreover, the text of their review does not really warrant a 9.0. The story is kind of drawn out, and the camera angles were enough to almost make him quit the game, but it gets a 9.0. Seriously bizarre.

Leo Valesko

Novice
I don’t really understand why there is so much fuss about NWN2. It’s quite a mediocre game to say the least. While offering nothing new expect few races and classes it still has the very same “save-the-world” storyline introduced in a very clumsy manner. And you also have to own a pretty good computer if you want to run it on the highest graphic performance despite it offers nothing exiting or beautiful.

I was surprised to see most of the reviewers put 9/10 grades to that kind of game. I wrote a short review in Russian (atrokkus you may be interested in that kind of stuff ) describing why I didn’t like the game and what certain errors and bugs it contain. The review was criticized by a large number of NWN2 angry fans who were claiming that I was paid to create a “black” NWN2-review (sic!), while none of them really tried to argue with me or explain why they like NWN2 that much.

With all those loud screams about great storyline and impressive characters which were mentioned in almost any review I never saw any attempt to explain what is really that great in NWN2. It seems like NWN2 fans are even more fanatical that Oblivion’s.

It’s disturbing. Maybe Obsidian hypnotizes people with some kind of a mind control program to turn them into mindless zombies?..

Jim Kata

Arbiter
Leo Valesko said:
I don’t really understand why there is so much fuss about NWN2. It’s quite a mediocre game to say the least. While offering nothing new expect few races and classes it still has the very same “save-the-world” storyline introduced in a very clumsy manner. And you also have to own a pretty good computer if you want to run it on the highest graphic performance despite it offers nothing exiting or beautiful.

I was surprised to see most of the reviewers put 9/10 grades to that kind of game. I wrote a short review in Russian (atrokkus you may be interested in that kind of stuff ) describing why I didn’t like the game and what certain errors and bugs it contain. The review was criticized by a large number of NWN2 angry fans who were claiming that I was paid to create a “black” NWN2-review (sic!), while none of them really tried to argue with me or explain why they like NWN2 that much.

With all those loud screams about great storyline and impressive characters which were mentioned in almost any review I never saw any attempt to explain what is really that great in NWN2. It seems like NWN2 fans are even more fanatical that Oblivion’s.

It’s disturbing. Maybe Obsidian hypnotizes people with some kind of a mind control program to turn them into mindless zombies?..

I did like khelgar and amon jerro was well done (and yet totally illogical and part of a giant hole in the plot you could drive a truck through), but most of the characters just sucked, too. Especially elanee and neeshka and bishop. Terrible! Elanee and neeshka should have been done much better since they are (I think) potential romances. Not terrible like in BG II how some of them are overdone, but terrible terrible. They are not sheesy or melodramatic so much as just utter shit.

Leo Valesko

Novice
I did like khelgar and amon jerro

I agree that Kelgar is a fine character. But it's almost the only thing I really liked in NWN2.

Especially elanee and neeshka and bishop. Terrible! Elanee and neeshka should have been done much better since they are (I think) potential romances.

I hated Neeshka causse we already had an opportunity to meet (and date) a tiefling-female-thief in P: Torment and Annah was absolutely AWESOME while Neeshka is just another stupid cliche-character. She looks a little bit like Mission from KOTOR or any other female rogue.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom