Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Obsidian chats with Clan DLAN

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
Tags: Feargus Urquhart; Neverwinter Nights 2; Obsidian Entertainment

Spanish CRPG hub <a href=Spanish CRPG hub <a href=http://www.clandlan.net/index.php>Clan DLAN</a> has scored an <a href=http://entrevistas.clandlan.net/index.php?page=entrevistas/Obsidian-10-11-06_en>interview </a>with Feargus Urquhart and Ryan Rucinski from <a href=http://www.obsidianent.com>Obsidian Entertainment</a>. They talk about the company's origins, games and future plans while trying to make sense of that spanish gibberish.
<br>
There's a Spanish version of the interview available as well for those who speak enchilada.
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>
<br>
<b>P and I - The big dilemma of roleplaying games is that when you make it for pc AND console you lose the "roleplaying" capability. We are witnessing a lot of games where you have to use combat in most of the plot. What is the style in Neverwinter Nights 2? Is it going to be based in your combat ability or are you planning to expand the diplomatic alternatives?</b>
<br>
<br>
RR - There are a lot of different ways to handle issues in NWN2. At times you can use your skills to modify an existing situation other than the standard way of going through the game. For example, if you have some skills in persuasion you will get an additional conversation options that can greatly change the outcome of a dialogue. Then there is the alignment thing - Some people use diplomacy, some use their might. Don't get me wrong though, this game is not a conversation simulator; some matters can only be dealt with via combat. It should be mentioned that you get faction/influence for any deeds you have done in the game. If you burned down a building for one faction the victims aren't going to welcome you with open arms but the guys you did it for will likely offer up more options for you to 'help' them.
<br>
</blockquote>
<br>
<br>
I find it funny how Feargus tries to reassure the average gamers that it's not all dialogue and that there's plenty of opportunity to flex those left-clicking skills.
<br>

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
In related news notorious baby snatcher Vince D. Weller was not available to comment on the unexpected support of American capitalist pigs by Clan DLAN after his commie manifesto was hosted by them. Heads will roll!

Texas Red

Whiner
"Well it was one of the reasons that I left Interplay/Black Isle at the time. Interplay was moving away from PC RPGs and I wanted to continue to make them."

"Obsidian has several projects in development. Only one has been announced with Sega for next-gen consoles."

what

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
TheGreatGodPan said:
aweigh said:
Is DLAN composed of filthy spaniards or good latinos?
It's good to know that there are still people out there who recognize the truth of the black legend.

I loathe the spaniards for different reasons. Although yes, they are all assholes in a general and historical sense.

Fodel

Novice
Clan DLAN is very good making translations (PST, Bloodlines...), would be great a spanish translation of AoD. :D

PD Spanish web. :roll:

denizsi

Arcane
He talks about the stronghold management; upgrading defenses, guards etc. and then he says:

However, at one point you may have to defend your stronghold from enemies and if you didn't bother to do any upgrading to your keep, I can imagine it would be a 'bit' more difficult.

I assume, a 'bit' more difficult to defend but impossible to have your stronghold invaded or destroyed.

denizsi

Arcane
The notion isn't exactly that you can't have proper RPGs on consoles. The magic (or unholy) word is multiplatform.

FrancoTAU

Cipher
Baphomet said:
This notion that you can't have a real RPG experience on the console is asinine. What's the core of an RPG? Decision making? Who says you need a mouse and keyboard for that?

It's not that the technology doesn't allow it. Rather, the console demographic seems to dictate simpler games. Multiplatform is even worse since they're rarely optimized and have a terrible Interface for the PC.

In other news, Civilization is going next gen console/multi-platform baby!
http://www.gamespot.com/news/6162633.html

TheGreatGodPan

Arbiter
Baphomet said:
This notion that you can't have a real RPG experience on the console is asinine. What's the core of an RPG? Decision making? Who says you need a mouse and keyboard for that?
What's a good one that wasn't a port?

TheGreatGodPan

Arbiter
denizsi said:
GameSpot: Has it really been 16 years since the first Civilization came out?

No, you have been smoking a pot.
Usually "pot" is referred to as a substance, so there is neither "a pot" or "pots" but "some pot", like water. The word you might have been looking for is "joint" or "doobie" or possibly "reefer".

Texas Red

Whiner
TheGreatGodPan said:
denizsi said:

Usually "pot" is referred to as a substance, so there is neither "a pot" or "pots" but "some pot", like water. The word you might have been looking for is "joint" or "doobie" or possibly "reefer".

Thank you. You have been very helpful. Although should it be "been" or some other time form? Perhaps "you were"?

The Idiot

Novice
The Walkin' Dude said:
TheGreatGodPan said:
denizsi said:

Thank you. You have been very helpful. Although should it be "been" or some other time form? Perhaps "you were"?

You see consequences of him smoking pot, so dibs on "have been".

denizsi

Arcane

Or just "smoking pot". I noticed the mistake after I posted the message but didn't feel like correcting it.

Immortality

Novice
Ehm... answering to several things in here... :)

We, at Clan DLAN are chaotic evil (I am actually, half "filthy spaniard and good latino") translators with a lot of time on our hands to translate complete games that "American capitalist pigs" don't want to translate because they won't earn as much, so the rest of the people that only speak "enchilada" can play in their own language as well.

However, we still enjoy gaming. We have great respect to all developers, being from big or small companies. They all make a great work.

Now, I assume Vince won't have anything to envy from the rest of the big companies, at least from our part. ;) So stay tuned spanish speaking people who want to play AoD and understand it. :)

Also, for all of you commies out there who are crying over all this selling out, rest easily, the next interview (scheduled for tonight) will be to another independent studio. There, you can be happy now. :)

...and now seriously, I enjoyed making all this interviews a lot. All of the developers and company people I've contacted are great, full of ideas and very friendly.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom