Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review Pixel Rage reviews Gothic 3

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Tags: Gothic III; Piranha Bytes

Another <a href=http://www.pixelrage.ro/articles/Gothic-3-English-Review/266,0.html>Gothic 3 review</a>, courtesy of <a href=http://www.pixelrage.ro>Pixel Rage</a>. The score is 88% and the verdict is "unpolished gem".
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>If you had the patience of reading this far, you might think the game is bad. It's not. Quite the contrary, actually, and that's because of the universe you're playing in. The graphics are downright gorgeous, but not in the "eye candy, Oblivion way". I'm talking about style here. This game looks gritty, and tough, and a bit dark at times. It's not called "Gothic" just for the fun of it. The graphics might look a bit rough around the edges, but that really helps in creating a believable athmosphere. The colors are a bit washed out, and some vistas look like they've been sharpened a bit in Photoshop, but others are warm, and bright, but still menacing when you're looking at the gloom forest in the background, and you see the yellow leaves on the ground, and that ruined tower near the road, surrounded in an excellent depth of field effect, creating the illusion of "hey, I can see really far away, but still, what's there, I can't really make out the details". This way, you also don't see the background popping out like in Oblivion that often. The forested part of the world is a small masterpiece. As a buddy of mine said, it feels "german", with the castles on top of breathtaking high cliffs, with their dungeons stretching down towards the valley below, suspdended bridges over chasms cutting the countryside in 2, torches which surround the populated areas in an amazing, amazing color and light show during the night...absolutely stunning.
<br>
<br>
Why is this game any good then ?
<br>
It's so damn good because you don't feel how the time passed, and it's 4AM, with a busy day following in a few hours. It "fills" you with it's atmoshpere, it fascinates you with the ease it kills you, in such a natural way you nearly hear some PB developer laughing somewhere in the background, making you wonder how the quickload button didn't die of stress yet...
<br>
<br>
It keeps you glued to your chair, showing you the most amazing vista when you reach the top of the hill, leaving you breathless in your chair. It doesn't let you go, because you HAVE to get the money to buy that kickass armor set, because it's so damn fun to see your character sharpen his sword at the smithy, or sitting in front of some campfire, making roast meat, while the NPC's around you talk about stuff, one of them is singing, and another is just standing there, on a chair, in such a natural and cool way you start wondering what he's thinking about.
<br>
<br>
It's so damn good because you can't stop questing. You run around doing things for hours and hours, until you forget the game's story, because it really doesn't matter, when you're working your ass off to gain access to the secret capital of the Hashishin people.
<br>
<br>
And then there's the music, which may quite possibly be the best i've heard in a game, yet. It completes the game, it fills you with heroism when it has to, it flattens you in your chair when you first enter a desert city, with that lady singing in the background. It's devastating, really, you don't want to move an inch, just to make the music stay there.
<br>
<br>
My advice: avoid this game if you don't have a powerful enough PC, you don't appreciate a difficult, but realistic game, and, quite frankly, you're to damn blinded by Oblivion to see something else on the horison, or, why not, something right in your damn face. Even though Gothic 3 will unfortunately receive a lower score than Oblivion had.</blockquote>No arguing here.
<br>
<br>
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.rpgwatch.com">RPG Watch</A>

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
LOL Not surprising that you'd agree with a positive review. R00fles!

Vault Dweller

Developer
Agreeing that a game is good is a crime these days? Or am I expected to trash every game that's not turn-based or isometric?

Volourn

Pretty Princess
No. But your incessant idea that any review that doesn't suck G3's dick is written by a retard should be. Or, sucking up to those reviews who are G3 lovers.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Vault Dweller said:
Agreeing that a game is good is a crime these days? Or am I expected to trash every game that's not turn-based or isometric?
You're expected to trash every game that's not turn-based or isometric. You didn't get the memo?

Vault Dweller

Developer
Volourn said:
No. But your incessant idea that any review that doesn't suck G3's dick is written by a retard should be.
Gothic 3 won't appeal to many people for variety of reasons, and I don't claim that anyone who doesn't like G3 is a retard. However, that doesn't mean that some people won't like the game for retarded reasons, and that 2/10 Tobias review is a fine example of that.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"Like you don't suck the cocks of Neverwinter Night good reviews?"

Eh? I most certainly have. On the Codex even. Dumbass.

filogreek

Scholar
That's one of the best reviews of Gothic 3 I've read. I like the last paragraph alot: "My advice: avoid this game if you don't have a powerful enough PC, you don't appreciate a difficult, but realistic game, and, quite frankly, you're to damn blinded by Oblivion to see something else on the horison, or, why not, something right in your damn face".

Some reviewers need to take this guys advice :D

Bossman

Educated
flabbyjack said:
It's too bad the European version of Gothic 3 had to be so buggy, and all the dumbfucks review it before a decent patch is released.

Show us were it's written that a game has to be reviewed only after a "decent" patch is released :shock:

Great review, 95% accurate in my book. They just HAVE to add "won't get a better score than Oblivion" ruins everything...

elander_

Arbiter
Volourn said:
No. But your incessant idea that any review that doesn't suck G3's dick is written by a retard should be. Or, sucking up to those reviews who are G3 lovers.

So you don't like opinions?

flabbyjack

Arcane
Bossman said:
Show us were it's written that a game has to be reviewed only after a "decent" patch is released :shock:
Dumbfucks shouldn't review it.

But as per your request -- the lack of a decent patch can spoil the game due to bugginess.
DarkZero -- "All the bugs present, and there are a lot of them, will spoil the game completely for a lot of people, making them think it’s one of the worst games they’ve ever played." Gamers shouldn't dumbfuck a review of a temporarily buggy game, b/c when its fixed the review won't be worth the bytes it occupies.

I have better things to do than argue with the Brotherhood.

Drakron

Arcane
G3 still have a lot of issues ... such as missing dialogue and the text not matching what the NPCs are saying (my personal favorite is the abandoned mine in the SOUTH is refered by voice and text in the NORTH).

Another issue is seems nobody playtested Northimar (that is what happens when you outsource Q&A testing), even after the patch that reduced the monster population they STILL are in the travel path of NPCs and you only need a heard of wooly rhinos to have a very dead NPC (that all seem to have just 100 hp).

One could say we are not supposed to be there but then again why the damn quest log says "go find Xardas" and they set the damn tower well into Northimar? if we ARE supposed to go to the desert before setting foot in Northimar why they say to the player to go North and offer no reason to ever set foot in the desert until Xardas gives the whole "go find the artifacts"?

Sould I go over the memory leak? nothing is as "fun" and seeing a damn wolf pack going after me and being hit by the "loading ... please wait" slideshow ...

Sure G3 is a nice game but the bugs, performance issues and several other issues makes the game released being more a Alpha build that anything else.

kenney bounces

Liturgist
Uhhh

Umm gothic 3 is horribly disappointing IF you played the previous G1 and G2.

List of unique gothic features missing :

#1) Combat strategies. Monsters don't move around uniquely anymore(Think the goblin circling you). They just charge in.
#2) No more jumping and then hanging onto cliffs.
#3) Combat has been "dumbed down" so that the "mainstream" blonde females who likes to play dance dance revolution can kill stuff. (A lot of combat combos removed)
#4) All your buddies from G1 and G2 are only recognisable through the clothes and equipment they wear. Faces and voice are completely different.
#5) No more lockpick minigame. Apparently that was also too confusing for the mainstream blonde females.

Things they "added" :
- Extremely retarded animation gestures when your npc is talking.
- Lots and lots and lots of plants for you to click and pick.. oh joy.. until you realise that the WHOLE Place is filled with them.. (Trust me, it gets old after the first thousand)
- Horribly slow save/loading times even with a moderately high end pc. (Running a 7950 GT with good specs in all departments)
- Much much worse AI pathing than in G1 and G2. (By much worse i do mean MUCH worse)
- Extremely horrible pathing for the player. (Lots of bad "slippery" ground)
- Going uphill = walking speed. And yes there are quite a number of hills.
- Level scaling with orcs at higher levels (Oh joy! Another game is trying to immitate morrowind in the wrong areas)

Here's the plus:
+ Graphics and eyecandy
+ Big map, more quests.
+ Modified somewhat new skill system
+ Ochestral Sound track. (seriously excellent)
+ You can now "sprint". (No more chugging speed potions) Takes energy though.

All in all, my friend who loves action- rpgs seems to think this is a great game. But he loves WoW too much to have time to play it.

Me on the other hand who likes a good story/gameplay driven rpg.. finds gothic 3 severely dissappointing(mainly because gameplay in G1 and G2 were better), but still very enjoyable at times. The very enjoyable moments come from exploration and character progression, which still exists thankfully. Heh.

I'll give it a 7/10 as a person who played G1 and G2 endless times.
Probably a 8.5/10 if i were someone who never played G1/G2 before.

pantheon

Novice
I've been playing about 15 hours and haven't come across a bug yet.
Only been around Cap Dun and Reddock but everything is playing very well.
Combat is okay - has been difficult but I've been exploring and haven't been able to use any skill points.

Can't seem to beat an Ogre yet but that is as expected.

I'm thoroughly enjoying the game.
I've played 1 & 2 (with expansion).
G3 is a little different but still definitely a Gothic.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom