Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Geneforge 4 preview at Inside Mac Games

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Tags: Geneforge 4; Spiderweb Software

<a href=http://www.insidemacgames.com>IMG</a> has posted a <a href=http://www.insidemacgames.com/previews/view.php?ID=225>preview</a> of upcoming <a href=http://www.spiderwebsoftware.com/geneforge4/index.html>Geneforge 4</a>:
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>First off, Geneforge 4 completely departs from past games in the series by offering five classes to pick from (as opposed to the original three): Warrior (same as a Guardian), Infiltrator (Agent), Lifecrafter (Shaper), Shock Trooper, and Servile. That's right; at last you can truly represent those poor oppressed Serviles, funny nose and all.
<br>
<br>
Secondly, very soon after starting a new game I realized that Geneforge 4's world is much more active and interesting than past Spiderweb games thanks to a large number of graphical enhancements. Two of the most obvious ones were weather effects and small environmental animations.
<br>
<br>
That's right; for the first time in the history of Spiderweb games, we've got weather. Rain falls at times in outdoor areas. Water drips from the ceilings of caves. As for environmental effects, fires smoke, magical lights let off little magic bubbles (although I still haven't figured out why), the canisters that remake your genes spark, and more. The combination of these two seemingly minor areas of graphical improvement actually make the game become much more alive than any Spiderweb game I've played before.
<br>
<br>
And it doesn't stop there. There are new character models, new creations to battle, a slew of entirely new (and really well done) spell effects, fading dialogue boxes, and other graphical improvements scattered throughout the game. Even the time-honored fiora model has undergone a transformation into a much more dangerous-looking reptile. The graphical changes aren't too radical, but they are very noticeable and do a surprising amount of work towards making Geneforge 4 even more immersive.</blockquote>The <a href=http://www.insidemacgames.com/previews/view.php?ID=225&Page=3>new screens</a> do look pretty good. Let's hope that the game will offer more than just the improved visuals.
<br>
<br>
<br>

suibhne

Erudite
The character models still look pretty rough to me, but everything else looks nicer. I had no problems with Avernum 4, graphically speaking, but I'm really glad to see the progress here.

I haven't played any of the Geneforge games, despite seeing a lot of recommendations for them. I look forward to hearing perspectives on this new one.

Noceur

Liturgist
Vault Dweller said:
The <a>new screens</a> do look pretty good. Let's hope that the game will offer more than just the improved visuals.

Well, the preview did mention other stuff than visuals on page 2. :P

I personally prefer Avernum, probably because you have a party of sentient beings. Which is weird since the individual characters don't express themselves. Then again, it might just be because all party members are handled the same way, whilst in Geneforge creations are handled differently (i.e less options)

Jed

Cipher
I think the Avernums are all superb dungeon crawlers, but overall DCs aren't really my cup of tea. I've invested many tens of hours into various Avernum games, but I've never managed to even get close to finishing one of them.

The GeneForge games, however, are some of the few cRPGs I've been able to finish since 2000. Wacky. Of course, since the Spiderweb games are some of the few cRPGs that actually make magic powerful from the start, I always play an agent, so the party isn't even a consideration for me.

Anyway, looking very forward to early 2007 to play Rebellion.

denizsi

Arcane
I need to play the whole Avernum and Geneforge series some time, as well as replay some older classics, but so much time is wasted on travelling to and back from school and between the classes, I'm thinking about getting a handheld or a PDA to play certain games.

Any suggestions in that area?

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Well, once I realised the same thing, I started to read books in small format on the tram / bus and I'm still doing it...

denizsi

Arcane
I get nauseous reading books on the tram. Interestingly, not so with digital interfaces. Maybe I should give a try to e-books but I love feeling the paper when reading a book.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom