Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review Jolt reviews Gothic 3

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Tags: Gothic III; Piranha Bytes

<a href=http://www.jolt.co.uk>Jolt</a> has shared with us some <a href=http://www.jolt.co.uk/index.php?articleid=7336>retarded thoughts</a> on <a href=http://www.gothic3.com>Gothic 3</a>, giving the game 81% and mentioning Oblivion constantly.
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>Although overshadowed by another RPG series, Gothic continues to please its fans.
<br>
<br>
Now that’s ballsy. An RPG that comes out after Elder Scrolls: Oblivion and doesn’t try and rip off every idea it had. (Oblivion had ideas? - VD)
<br>
<br>
The world is huge and full of characters and creatures that seem to have a purpose and life of their own – dare we say it, even more so than in Oblivion.
<br>
<br>
You don’t get pushed in a direction; three different endings will reflect your chosen path. ... Maybe Bethesda will take note for the next Elder Scrolls game.
<br>
<br>
Despite the issues, which will hopefully be fixed in patches to come, Gothic 3 really does stand out from the crowd. Sure it’s not as polished and slick as Oblivion, and nor will it be as popular, but it does deserve a lot of credit.
<br>
<br>
It’s a very immersive experience with a friendly interface and a real “feel” to it. You will get drawn into it and find yourself living a life in game, whether its fighting off the invasion or just building up your character and discovering new places and items. Yeah, it’s not Oblivion, but it shows there is life in this genre outside of it. </blockquote>Fascinating.
<br>
<br>

Bradylama

Arcane
"We liked Gothic 3. Dare we say... More than Oblivion. We didn't get a gift basket, though."

Probably the best review of G3 so far. Too bad he ruined it by saying "It's not Oblivion", like that was a bad thing, at the end.

Paranoid Jack

Scholar
All of the reviews have very good info mixed in with the stupid over referencing of Oblivion as if it has become the new standard in RPGs. And yes Gothic 3 is much better over all. It's just a shame they didn't take the time needed to polish it before release. It still may have a shot at RPG of the Year. Of course with NWN2 shipping today and some character named Desslock saying it's the best RPG since BG2... well who knows?

http://www.quartertothree.com/game-talk ... stcount=86

Who is this guy? Just another games industry media puppet?

Though I never played the original I must say this is the best of the Gothic series. And if it continues to get better as the game progresses (and it appears it does) most of us will start to compare future releases to G3 or NWN2. I pre-ordered NWN2 and hope to having it in my hands and on my hard drives by late tomorrow afternoon. Going to be a great Fall/Winter. And who knows maybe VD will release AoD or at the very least the beta sometime soon.... :wink:

Bradylama

Arcane
Desslock's the PC Gamer dreck that tried to argue that Oblivion wasn't dumbed down for consoles because you could do more stuff. Arguably, it wasn't dumbed down for consoles, one could just say it was dumb.

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
On a completely unrelated note, I read the current issue of Gamestar today where they compared O, G and N and called O's character system "complex" while G has a simple system. For completeness, N is also complex.

Bradylama

Arcane
I guess it could be complex without being effective or fun to use. Just like a government agency.

Bradylama said:
I guess it could be complex without being effective or fun to use. Just like a government agency.

BINGO. It seems rather retarded how these idiots complain about character generation, considering in Gothic 3 you can pretty much create any character you want through skills. I personally can do without the , OoO Luhk et mae EhLven Soarsahrer daht i maed i cehn kasht da fiwaboll aht lehvol wun!

Top Hat

Scholar
Claw said:
What's complex about Oblivion's character system?

Maybe they were using "complex" in the mathematical definition.

So the character system is made up of a real part (21 skills, ugly Mr. Potato Head) and an imaginary part (the effects of said skills in the game, non-retarded conversation).

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
In Oblivion trying to come up with a character that doesn't look like Corkey from "Life Goes On" was very complex.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom