Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview RPG Watch interviews Jeff Vogel

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Tags: Geneforge 4; Spiderweb Software

Sick n tired of those jackasses at RPG Dot? Say no more. Visit <a href=http://www.rpgwatch.com/>RPG Watch</a>, a new site run by ... Anyway, there is a new <a href=http://www.rpgwatch.com/show/article?articleid=5&ref=0&id=146>interview</a> with Jeff Vogel of the <a href=http://www.spidweb.com>Spiderweb</a>'s fame:
<br>
<br>
<blockquote><b>So, Geneforge 4: Rebellion is on the horizon and players will start as rebels for the first time. How much does this mix up the story and general gameplay compared to previous Geneforges?</b>
<br>
<br>
The basic gameplay is the same, though I am adding more creations and spells and smoothing out a lot of the old rough spots. The new action point system, for example, is much, much better.
<br>
<br>
But the story has a much different feel. You start on the bottom, not the top. From the very start, you are hunted. There are fewer supplies, fewer allies. It takes a long time to find a place where you can feel safe. And the Shapers who are trying to win you away from the rebellion can dangle lots of treasures and treats in front of you to get you to switch.</blockquote>Good interview, Dhruin. Geneforge 4 sounds pretty good at this point.
<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>

Whipporowill

Erudite
Not the fanciest-looking site, but if Dhruin's behind the news I'm sure it will be worth keeping an eye on.

Edit: Internet drama! So it's the full bunch of them? Jolt-related... :S

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
It's a news site, you graphics whore, you. This site looks 10 times better and friendlier than the Dot.

Jed

Cipher
I really enjoyed the first two GF games, and while the third was a bit "meh," I will definitely grab GF4 once it is Windows-ized.

Sarvis said:
I don't know why, I just could never really get into Geneforge's gameplay.
Here's a clue: There's no cut-scenes.

Slylandro

Scholar
GF4 sounds excellent, but I really can't understand this:

RPGWatch: Speaking personally, I enjoy the turn-based combat in Spiderweb’s games but I’d like more options, such as active combat skills, different melee attacks and so on. Is this something you would ever consider?

Jeff Vogel: Yes. This will happen at some point. Not Geneforge 4, though.

Why??? We've waited so long for these options, and they shouldn't be hard to implement given that he has several reasonable engines. Hopefully by "at some point" he doesn't mean Geneforge 8 or something.

Veracity

Liturgist
Jeff Vogel said:
One thing that trumps most other factors is the simple lack of new, quality single-player RPGs in the marketplace. Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion showed that there’s a desire. But most of the time, I’m one of the few people fulfilling it.
I never can make up my mind how much his idiot savant persona is affected, but that has me leaning closer to 'extremely disingenuous bastard' than ever before. This also reminds me I still ought to get around to Geneforge 3 at some point.

Sarvis

Erudite
Jed said:
I really enjoyed the first two GF games, and while the third was a bit "meh," I will definitely grab GF4 once it is Windows-ized.

Sarvis said:
I don't know why, I just could never really get into Geneforge's gameplay.
Here's a clue: There's no cut-scenes.

What do cut-scenes have to do with gameplay?

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
LOL I think Sarvis raped Jed's son. That's the only explanation for such hostility.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"Volourn, it's time for you to know: I am your father!"

Good! That means the police killed you! Thanks for small favours, coppers!

LCJr.

Erudite
Until Vogel comes up with another original idea I'm putting his games in the "Who gives a fuck?" category with the likes of FO3.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom