Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview New Age of Decadence interview -- Vince D. Weller still at large

Spazmo

Erudite
Tags: Age of Decadence; Iron Tower; Vault Dweller

<b>Vince D. Weller</b>, known agent of the North Korean government and loud talker during movies, has done another <a href=http://www.gamebanshee.com/interviews/ageofdecadence1.php>interview</a> about Iron Tower's upcoming comminazi brainwashing tool, Age of Decadence. Here's some more of his blatant holocaust denial propaganda:<blockquote>GB: Each weapon will feature different types of attacks that may or may not be appropriate for certain situations. Can you elaborate on when a player might want to use a quick, power, or special attack with his or her weapon?
<br>
<br>
Vince: Fast attacks (less damage, “to hit” bonus, -1AP) are a good way to deal with fast, light-armored opponents, Power attacks (more damage, “to hit” penalty, +1AP) are great against slow heavy-armored guys. Special attacks depend on your situation: whirlwind does wonders when you are surrounded, disarm and anti-shield attacks are self-explanatory, and aimed attacks target a body part of your choice knocking someone down, disarming, slowing down, etc.</blockquote>That's the kind of half assed design that I really hate. Weller--if that is his real name--needs to understand that real RPGs only need two kinds of attack: left click to stab, and then hold right click for a power stab. That's real depth right there.
<br>

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Love Spazmo's newsposts. Too bad the lazy fucker doesn't post more often.

Sarvis

Erudite
Gee, two kinds of attack plus special move. How original, but at least it's _different_ than the oblivion style fast attacks and power attacks.

Right?

Vault Dweller

Developer
Sarvis said:
Gee, two kinds of attack plus special move. How original, but at least it's _different_ than the oblivion style fast attacks and power attacks.

Right?
Actually, there are 11 attacks: fast, regular, power, aimed: head / torso / arms / legs, and 4 special attacks.

Greatatlantic said:
GameBanshee, eh? Have you done an interview with them before?
No.

Eitherway, its nice to see your project getting some good old exposure.
Yep. The interest is definitely there.

Spazmo

Erudite
Vault Dweller said:
Love Spazmo's newsposts. Too bad the lazy fucker doesn't post more often.

I've been too busy writing up the game's review to do newsposts. Play it? Why would I need to play this game to know it's going to be hatemongering pro-Saddam trash?

The_Pope

Scholar
I'd say your 'looks like something that crawled out of 95' comment is a bit excessive. I can't think of anything from back then that looked anywhere near as good - Quake blew everyone away with its graphics (which didn't look as good as AoD) in 96. The latest batch of screens look as good as NWN.

Paranoid Jack

Scholar
SlavemasterT said:
I really liked the second music track.

I second that, the second track is superb, very nice, a keeper!

VD, Great interview. Congrats! You answered the questions in a way that would intrigue all but the half-brain-dead types. :lol:

I loved the "crawled out of 1995" comment it made me chuckle. But really it looks far better than anything from that era... judging from these last few screens the game is starting to look even better than a typical indie project. Not that it ever really mattered to me (the old graphics) but I think those less likely to give it a shot due to the old graphics will now take notice. It looks damned good.

When is the next interview due or is that a secret?

Vault Dweller

Developer
No clue. I have several requests, but not enough time. I was asked to do some diaries so I thought I could talk about something else like quest designs, factions setup, or even locations visual design to avoid talking about the same things.

Ladonna

Arcane
Mr Weller,

When you state that the combat model allows you to target a specific body area, does this mean we can look forward to the funny commentary floating text of Fallout? :P

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again!
Well it reminds of D&D combat system - Power Attack, Disarm... But in games like NWN it was done really bad as you could spam with PAs not worrying about "consequences".
It would be good if Disarm would actually disarm, Knockdown - knock down etc. Not only some changes in statistics. Not being cautious in combat should be rewarded with crippled limbs.

The_Pope said:
I'd say your 'looks like something that crawled out of 95' comment is a bit excessive. I can't think of anything from back then that looked anywhere near as good - Quake blew everyone away with its graphics (which didn't look as good as AoD) in 96. The latest batch of screens look as good as NWN.

They always remind me unpleasantly of Runescape. Brr.

Twinfalls

Erudite
Re: New Age of Decadence interview -- Vince D. Weller still

Spazmo said:
known agent of the North Korean government and loud talker during movies

Wonderful stuff.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Bozia said:
But in games like NWN it was done really bad as you could spam with PAs not worrying about "consequences".
It would be good if Disarm would actually disarm, Knockdown - knock down etc.
What consequences should there have been to spamming PAs? Was -5 to your attack roll not consequence enough? What do you mean? And please correct me if I am wrong, but disarm does disarm and knockdown does knock down in NWN... Or maybe I am misunderstanding you?

7th Circle

Scholar
Looking good. :)

I particularly like the crafting and dialogue example. Musical sketches sound good and I think VD is getting the hang of PR whilst still managing to avoid the usual hyperbolic bs.

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again!
Jasede said:
Bozia said:
But in games like NWN it was done really bad as you could spam with PAs not worrying about "consequences".
It would be good if Disarm would actually disarm, Knockdown - knock down etc.
What consequences should there have been to spamming PAs? Was -5 to your attack roll not consequence enough? What do you mean? And please correct me if I am wrong, but disarm does disarm and knockdown does knock down in NWN... Or maybe I am misunderstanding you?

I mean the gameplay, the difficulty should force you to use tactics in combat - blocking etc. ToEE was better at that (in fact compared to other games ToEE is like JA2 of RPGs). Modifying the stats is good but when you reach higher levels the penalties are laughable and you can spam with insane attacks (like in Fallout - critical hittin' everyone in the eyes even at night). Well if you like godlike characters... (Torment - solo "bare fisting" greater glabrezus)
In NWN it was obsolete - as soon I got PA I switched to it and never switched back. And knockdown and disarm where nothing more than extravagant.

Ion Flux

Savant
Project: Eternity
I'm just happy to see that the text in the screenshots was written by someone with a halfway decent command of the English language.

Command & Conquer came out in '95 btw. The screens look good to me considering the putative gameplay qualities. Nice.

Jim Kata

Arbiter
the village sounds really interesting. I will have to stop reading these interviewsso that the game will not be spoiled for me.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom