Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News NWN2 delayed

Spazmo

Erudite
Tags: Neverwinter Nights 2; Obsidian Entertainment

Obsidian Entertainment, having decided that they like their leftovers cold, are delaying Neverwinter Nights 2 to October of this year, per <a href=http://bluesnews.com/cgi-bin/board.pl?action=viewthread&threadid=69143>Blue's News</a>.<blockquote>“Given the sheer size and scope of Neverwinter Nights 2 and its 50 to 60-hour single player campaign, it was decided to move the global release date of Neverwinter Nights 2 out a month to late October. This extra time is invaluable as it allows fine tuning and polishing of both the single and multiplayer experiences to ultimately deliver a game that exceeds the tremendous expectations of the Neverwinter Nights fanbase.”</blockquote>I can't see how the NWN fanbase is so hard to please. Half of them just want a sloppy turd of an RPG and the other half just want development tools. After KOTOR2, it's obvious that Obsidian will be able to please the hell out of the first half, and the second half can just be linked to some C++ tutorials for years and years of game creating fun.

LlamaGod

Cipher
But C++ would actually take some learning and creating things from scratch. NWN fans wanna play with their Fantasy Castle lego sets and set in scripted events like having the fire breathing dragon on top of the gate totally knock the heads off the lego guys.

GhanBuriGhan

Erudite
LlamaGod said:
But C++ would actually take some learning and creating things from scratch. NWN fans wanna play with their Fantasy Castle lego sets and set in scripted events like having the fire breathing dragon on top of the gate totally knock the heads off the lego guys.

Hey, don't knock lego. If more of todays kids would have played with lego, the RPG genre would probably be in a better state.

LlamaGod

Cipher
Yeah, we could have more physics based skeletons hiding around revolving doors as generic knights rush in and step on the button to release them.

Modern LEGOs kinda suck dick, too. I think theres a Samurai one now. kekeke.

ad hominem

Scholar
And the codex breathes a collective "whoop-de-shit."
LlamaGod said:
Modern LEGOs kinda suck dick, too. I think theres a Samurai one now. kekeke.
Yeah, it stinks. When I have kids I'm going to buy one of those giant things of old legos on ebay, like the 3500 random assorted pieces or what have you. Much better.

Spazmo

Erudite
I dunno. I had fun with this.

That's right. 3,100 piece Lego Star Destroyer. How can you better optimize your frivolous geek spending than buying both Lego and Star Wars at the same time?

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
I used to have a shit-ton of Legos. I remember once trying to build a Star Destroyer, but I settled for various cruisers and gunships of my own awesome design.

Jon

Scholar
Obsidian said:
50 to 60-hour single player campaign

This game gets longer every time someone talks about it. By October it may stretch to the end it time itself...

Surlent

Liturgist
I think it's nice Atari is taking "it's done when it's done" approach for awhile. You'd think they would want to rush it to the stores given their financial standing. Now people are wondering will the DM client ship along with the retail as well.

Mefi

Prophet
Patron
waiting for a train at Perdido Street Station
Not really a surprise that another delay has been put in.

It could conceivably be delayed for a tiny bit longer than this if needed.

Atari needs NWN2 to fly off the shelves and it's interesting to see their approach to this title now they are in shit up to their eyeballs in comparison to other titles when the shit was only up to their necks.

The bit about "high expectations" is interesting - was the game judged to be that bad in its cut form?

Mefi
The bit about "high expectations" is interesting - was the game judged to be that bad in its cut form?

I dunno, maybe it was too "rpg-ish" and not actiony, epic or next-gen enough to please the high expectations of masses?

obediah

Erudite
Surlent said:
I think it's nice Atari is taking "it's done when it's done" approach for awhile. You'd think they would want to rush it to the stores given their financial standing. Now people are wondering will the DM client ship along with the retail as well.

Ha!. My naive child. They are taking the 'WTF!?!? If we release this right now we will definitely lose a class action lawsuit. Cut! cut! cut! Then cautorize the holes. Then fix as many bugs as possible the player will encounter in the first 30 minutes."

Remember, ToEE got the same sort of "it's done when it's done" extension from Atari.

Sovard

Sovereign of CDS
Well guys, look at it this way. With that extra month they can turn it into something appealing to us.

HA, almost said it with a straight face.

suibhne

Erudite
Considering what we've had in the past year or so, I'm still actually looking forward to this. :roll:

RGE

Liturgist
When I read that multiplayer required each client to download the module, I wondered if NWN2 multiplayer is going to turn out like Arcanum's multiplayer. That would be another nail in the coffin. I guess I'll just have to wait and see. Look before I leap.

Jon said:
Obsidian said:
50 to 60-hour single player campaign

This game gets longer every time someone talks about it. By October it may stretch to the end it time itself...

Hahaha, I was thinking the same thing. Still, it's good they realized that a 15 hour SP campaign was a serious problem for their audience. If they've taken time to fix that, I'll buy the game happily and hope for the best. If they are lying right now, I'll never buy anything from the company again.

RGE

Liturgist
I hope that the extra 35-45 hours aren't filled with monsters to kill.

Me said:
Hey, this isn't a tower! It's another wing full of undead that I feel compelled to kill for XP. Later, though. :roll:

Voss

Erudite
RGE said:
I hope that the extra 35-45 hours aren't filled with monsters to kill.

Lets see, folks involved in KotoR and the IWDs (in their former jobs), creating a sequel to NWN....
Hmm...
No, there isn't the slightest possible chance that more time= add in extra buckets o' monsters. And crappy loot. Lots and lots of crappy loot. In barrels. :evil:

Oo, but don't forget unlocking the speshul powaz from having a piece of a sword jammed up your ass as a child. (ooo, thats damn good pedophilia there) That will take whole minutes.

Unless they're scratching the whole premise of their 'story', there really isn't anyway of saving this sad little panda fetus. The only reason it really it has a chance at life is because Atari can't really afford to abort a major license title.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom