Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Editorial MCA talks about breaking into RPG development at Penny Arcade

Spazmo

Erudite
Tags: Chris Avellone; Obsidian Entertainment

In a <a href=http://www.penny-arcade.com/2006/07/05>guest news post</a> at webcomic <a href=http://www.penny-arcade.com>Penny Arcade</a>, Obsidian Entertainment bug wheel Chris Avellone wrote up some tips on how to get employed in the industry. Here's a convenient quote I can make fun of.<blockquote>First - since I have no manners and commonly forget introductions - I'm Chris Avellone, I'm a creative director at Obsidian Entertainment, and we do role-playing games like Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords, Neverwinter Nights 2, and the upcoming I Wish the RPG Market Was Like It Was When Fallout 1 Came Out 2.</blockquote>The RPG market when Fallout 1 came out? You mean virtually dead for real RPGs with only action-y games in the vein of Diablo being developed? At RPG Codex, we make your wishes come true if your name is MCA and you're looking for excuses for the dreck your company puts out.

POOPERSCOOPER

Prophet
The RPG market is like a pyscho who runs around naked in his room then takes a shit in the corner only to eat it later on.

Data4

Arcane
Can someone tell me what the fuck the M stands for? Master? Masturbating? Mister? Mahatma-Ghandi-better-known-as? Militantfemininista? Metatron (which would make sense in a wierd, poetic sort of way)?

-D4

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Chris Avellone said:
It's a little daunting to get a request from Penny Arcade to do an article because it makes you think of the immortal words of Admiral Ackbar, arguably one of the best character actors in the Star Wars series. (If I have to say his quote, then I will, but if you really don't know, what it is, send your question to ItsATrap.com.)

ItsATrap.com said:
Hey! If you found your way here from Penny Arcade today, feel free to stick around and check out my site, but I'm thinking that chances are high Chris Avellone meant to point you towards here. This site has nothing to do with Star Wars, only Scandinavian music. Bummer, right? Anyhow, like I said, enjoy your stay, but please don't ask me any Admiral Ackbar questions.
I ROFL'd :D :) :D :D :D :D :) :) :D

Chris Avellone said:
I Wish the RPG Market Was Like It Was When Fallout 1 Came Out 2.
I think he means the fact that it was perhaps more niche? At least for the section of the market that liked games like Fallout 1. Maybe.

Atrokkus

Erudite
Can someone tell me what the fuck the M stands for? Master? Masturbating? Mister? Mahatma-Ghandi-better-known-as? Militantfemininista? Metatron (which would make sense in a wierd, poetic sort of way)?
Thrice-damn you filthy uneducated ignorant swine, suck the balls of mine and then pick the hairs out of your teeth and sew some giggly-girly stuff, eh.

IT'S MISTER, FOR CHRIST'S SACK!

Hazelnut

Erudite
DarkUnderlord said:
Chris Avellone said:
I Wish the RPG Market Was Like It Was When Fallout 1 Came Out 2.
I think he means the fact that it was perhaps more niche? At least for the section of the market that liked games like Fallout 1. Maybe.

I took this to mean that he was wishing the market was like it was back then, in that the Genre RPG did not mean what it seems to have come to mean in the general conciousnous these days.

(Jeez, that was quite possibly the most convoluted sentance I've constructed for a while, but I'll leave it be for general amusement value!)

Twinfalls

Erudite
I think that's an element of it, Hazelnut, but the market then was also such that Fallout was a success and led to a sequel, or was Fallout something of a commercial failure?!?

The funniest part is Tycho basically polishing Chris Avellones shaft.

He keep his signed business card in his wallet at all times. Fuck sake...

Red Russian

Scholar
... but the market then was also such that Fallout was a success and led to a sequel...

Which tempts the thought... The "Next-Generation" of the so-called "RPGs" is unintentionally "brainwashing" today's gamers into thinking what a RPG should be like. Probably why Fallout back then was such a success, 'cause that was what gamers perceived as a RPG. Correct?

Just a thought, though...

PS: I doubt the market is *that* old for this to happen, but it was a "making sense of it all"-thought... :D

...I Wish the RPG Market Was Like It Was When Fallout 1 Came Out 2...

This could possibly happen on a smale scale if developers (commercial) starts developing RPGs again like they did way back then. Hint, Hint to MCA...

Voss

Erudite
metallix said:
Thrice-damn you filthy uneducated ignorant swine, suck the balls of mine and then pick the hairs out of your teeth and sew some giggly-girly stuff, eh.

IT'S MISTER, FOR CHRIST'S SACK!

So he's a retarded gimp-child that doesn't understand that mister is abbreviated 'Mr.'?
That kind of problem with the English language explains quite a bit about the writing in KOTORII.

Surlent

Liturgist
... and a good mood in Obsidian. Play it Feargus one more time!

Jora

Arcane
Voss said:
So he's a retarded gimp-child that doesn't understand that mister is abbreviated 'Mr.'?
That kind of problem with the English language explains quite a bit about the writing in KOTORII.
It was Killzig from Duck and Cover who came up with the name.

Voss

Erudite
And no one told him how stupid is was? Guilt by apathetic acceptance, then.

Jora

Arcane
Voss said:
And no one told him how stupid is was? Guilt by apathetic acceptance, then.
I don't think Mr. CA has ever used it as a name himself. People like Killzig and Proverbius just called him MCA in their news posts and other forum posters started using it.

Rat Keeng

Liturgist
I thought it was short for Motel California, y'know, like that song?

Welcome to the Motel California
Such a lovely place, such a lovely place...

How would that song make sense if MCA was short for Mister Christ Provollone?

Spazmo

Erudite
The song is Hotel California, actually.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom