Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Pirates of the Caribbean site up

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Bethesda Softworks; Pirates of the Carribean

<A href="http://www.bethsoft.com/">Bethesda</a> has openned the <A href="http://pirates.bethsoft.com/main.html">Pirates of the Caribbean website</a>, after the <A href="http://pirates.bethsoft.com/pressrelease_032603.html">announcement</a> of it last week. Here's a clip of the game info:
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>While Pirates of the Caribbean offers a gameplay style that lets you go where you want and do anything you like, it also contains a compelling main story that serves as the foundation for the game.
<br>
<br>
In Pirates of the Caribbean, you assume the role of a freelance Captain who becomes caught in a struggle for power in the 17th century. At the start of the game, you witness French forces invading an English island. Sailing away to avoid harm, you set course for a nearby English colony to inform the English Governor of the bad news.
<br>
<br>
Upon reaching the island, the English Governor decides to enlist you to infiltrate the captured island as a spy for the English to see what you can discover about the French invasion force and their future plans. Thus begins your adventure.</blockquote>
<br>
<br>
I can't find the name <i>Blaze Devlin</i> anywhere on this page.
<br>
<br>
Spotted this at <A href="Http://www.ve3d.com">VoodooExtreme</a>

Greenskin13

Erudite
Well, I've always been interested in the pirate genre. Especially ever since I picked up Sid Meier's Pirates! a while back. From the game info, it sounds very much like it, but I'll wait before going nuts.

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Saint_Proverbius said:
I can't find the name <i>Blaze Devlin</i> anywhere on this page.

That may be the best development to come outta this.

If it goes from Blaze to Movie Character A or B I'm gonna be dissapointed

Azael

Magister
Wasteland 2
Arr, Matey!

Now if only Sid Meier could sit down and decide to make another Pirates! game, I'd be alot happier. This game looks pretty damn cool as well though, is it using the same engine as Morrowind?

Spazmo

Erudite
Morrowind, if I remember correctly uses NetImmerse, which doesn't belong to Bethesda. Regardless, I figure the guys at Bethesda are experienced in NetImmerse, so it probably is.

triCritical

Erudite
Wait I saw Akella and Bethesda!

Is this Sea Dogs 2? Did they change the name for marketing purposes? It looks like Sea Dogs 2?

JC Anejo

Educated
I did read some where that this is Sea Dogs II with the main story line changed to go along with the movie. They are supposed to be making a new game from the beginning to be called Sea Dogs II down the road.

Azael

Magister
Wasteland 2
I wonder how different this game will be now that Disney's in charge? Sea Dogs II sounded pretty cool, but I guess this game will play pretty much the same.

JC Anejo

Educated
Here's a little official statement from Bethsoft on this title:
The development of Sea Dogs II has been suspended and that title will not be released this year. We want everyone who had been looking forward to Sea Dogs II to be aware that Pirates of the Caribbean offers outstanding role-playing gameplay in a similar setting

Looking back it was probably wishful thinking that this statement meant that they would be doing a Sea Dogs II . When you say something " will not be released this year " it makes you think it will be released in the future but they are probably just keeping thier options open. More likely if the game and movie do well that we will have a POC 2. All I really want is a Pirates 2 but will never see something like that...makes too much sense. :evil:

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Huh? Sounds like a conspiracy. So can somebody explain to me what the hell just happened?

Azael

Magister
Wasteland 2
Vault Dweller said:
Huh? Sounds like a conspiracy. So can somebody explain to me what the hell just happened?

It seems like Sea Dogs II was changed into Pirates of the Caribbean in mid-development. I guess most of the game mechanics will be the same, but with a different story.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
I don't know how bright an idea this is because I would much rather pick up Sea Dogs 2 than Priates of the Carribean. Sounds like really bad marketting judgement to me.

Azael

Magister
Wasteland 2
Saint_Proverbius said:
I don't know how bright an idea this is because I would much rather pick up Sea Dogs 2 than Priates of the Carribean. Sounds like really bad marketting judgement to me.

True, but at the same time this title will probably get a lot more media exposure and name recognition than Sea Dogs II thanks to the upcoming movie (and the Disneyland ride).

JC Anejo

Educated
Just think how much money Disney has already paid to put their name on this game. Wouldn't surprise me if the developers have already made as much on the game as they would have got on the sales of Sea Dogs II. Now you still have the people that were going to buy the game in the first place, as well as the people that will buy it because it is a Disney game ( with that group it doesn't have to be good). Then if the movie does well it will pick up still more sales.

Every where you turn I see money for the developers and publishers. So as long as they put out the quality game that was hoped for it can only be good for everyone........MAYBE.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
I'm not sure Disney paid for it, I'm guessing it's the other way around. After all, most of the time you buy the rights to the license, not get paid to use it.

JC Anejo

Educated
Yeah you might be right on that. I was thinking that this was more of an advertising move for Disney not the other way around. Would be interesting to see how long this deal was in the works. Weren't the character names released the week before the change. Had to be in the works longer then that.

triCritical

Erudite
This is stupid!

They scrapped Sea Dogs 2 and essentially took a nearly completed title, smoothed out the edges and made it a linear disney game. Another potential game bites the dust.

The nerve of those fuckers to think that we are too stupid to know that this is the same god damn title, just worse.

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
From an Action Trip interview
AT: First off, will we ever see Sea Dogs 2?

It's not currently in development, so there isn't much point in talking about it. The game we're making is Pirates of the Caribbean. A lot of work from the last couple years has gone into Pirates, and so anyone who was looking forward to playing Sea Dogs 2 will find that Pirates of the Caribbean offers exactly the kind of game they wanted.

triCritical

Erudite
HanoverF said:
From an Action Trip interview
AT: First off, will we ever see Sea Dogs 2?

It's not currently in development, so there isn't much point in talking about it. The game we're making is Pirates of the Caribbean. A lot of work from the last couple years has gone into Pirates, and so anyone who was looking forward to playing Sea Dogs 2 will find that Pirates of the Caribbean offers exactly the kind of game they wanted.

That is because PIrates of the Carribean is Sea Dogs 2. HOW FUCKING STUPID DO YOU THINK WE ARE BETH!!!!!

udarnik

Novice
Hey triC, they said "While Pirates of the Caribbean offers a gameplay style that lets you go where you want and do anything you like, it also..." so I wouldn't accuse it of going linear. I doubt the game is going to change that much, although it will definitely be purged of mature content.

JC Anejo

Educated
And let's face it they can't be real Pirates without mature content.

triCritical

Erudite
udarnik said:
Hey triC, they said "While Pirates of the Caribbean offers a gameplay style that lets you go where you want and do anything you like, it also..." so I wouldn't accuse it of going linear. I doubt the game is going to change that much, although it will definitely be purged of mature content.

I don't think its going to go linear, but I think it will pay a lot more attention to the story line now. Before this game was going to be like a pirate sim, it looked so good. Now it looks like they took out the tougher to develop portions of SD2 to make this game and have it around the movie release.

Will there still be 16 different ship types? WIll the random quest generator still be on? Will you still be able to have a small fleet? The problem is that we don't really know wha they have changed from SD2. The worst part is, Bethsoft is not even admitting that this is the same title changed to fit a Disney movie. We are actually suppose to believe this is a brand new title from the same Akella that was making SD2.

I am just a little bit ticked because I was really looking forward to SD2. Another good one bites the dust.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
That's what annoys me. I was looking forward to SeaDogs 2 as well, and making it a Disney labelled game can't be good since they're going to have to tone down what you can do in the game just to tie it in with the Disney movie. While the film is not yet rated, I seriously doubt it'll be higher than a PG rating, which pretty much means E rating for a game, since PG-13 would be a T rating.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom