Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

MadMinute Games Developer Diary - Norb Timpko

Jason

chasing a bee
<strong>[ Article ]</strong>

<a href="http://www.madminutegames.com/" title="MMG">MadMinute Games'</a> Norb Timpko has contributed the first installment in our series on independent game developers. He describes the balancing act required to get a game like Take Command: 2nd Manassas out the door while still having families and day jobs.<br/><br/><strong>Read: </strong><a href="http://www.tacticularcancer.com/content.php?id=13">MadMinute Games Developer Diary - Norb Timpko</a>

Section8

Cipher
Good read. MadMinute sound like my kind of guys - in it for the love and the passion, with maybe a chance of making it big. Plus, the list of things that make it all worthwhile are the sort of things that should make a developer all tingly-like - just seeing your game on a shelf, hearing positive feedback and such. Beats the hell out of self-deluded backslapping because your game shifted 1.7 million units. ;)

Jason

chasing a bee
Beats the hell out of self-deluded backslapping because your game shifted 1.7 million units.
Can't we have just one thread that doesn't turn into a Fallout Tactics thread...oh wait...nevermind.

But yeah, the MMG guys deserve to get some mainstream attention and money. I'd like to see how their next game (most likely Shiloh) turns out with a decent budget behind it.

Mefi

Prophet
Patron
waiting for a train at Perdido Street Station
You're a tart babyarm. Posting over at Paradox for lawd's sake. :D

Great little article. Got to have a lot of respect for Adam and Norb for creating a game that good from 'freetime'. And I like Norb's no bullshit approach to the whole affair.

I just want them to have enough success to cover the Napoleonic era. Then I'll be very happy ;)

edit: posted a link over on madminute forums. So I'm a pimp for you tarts :twisted:

http://www.madminutegames.com/MadMinute ... php?t=4222

Jason

chasing a bee
"You're a tart babyarm. Posting over at Paradox for lawd's sake."
Hey, forums are always fair game. And besides, Susana (Paradox PR person) is on vacation so I was really just helping her out. My motives were completely altruistic, you understand. :cool:

"I just want them to have enough success to cover the Napoleonic era."
Yeah, I'll be surprised if we don't see that in the next couple years. They already have the engine for it and they definitely have the desire to do it. Another Civil War game is next, though, as far as I know.

edit: Thanks for the link! Welcome to the lowly world of Internet Pimpin'.

Mefi

Prophet
Patron
waiting for a train at Perdido Street Station
Sana's on holiday? She's only just got back from E3. Jeez :roll:

Only just noticed your interview with Adam so my bad on that. Norb replied to a post by me saying that if they can get momentum they will be 'crossing the ocean'. If they do, then their European sales will sky rocket. There's a massive market for grognard games which just isn't being met. Even shit like Imperial Glory can sell. Imagine what a game based on that [edit: that referring to the 2M] engine would do...

But I guess they'd be very correct in playing to their established market for the moment with more ACW (Shiloh I've heard but could be wrong as they seem very much focused more on getting 2M as perfect as possible rather than rush into the next project).

This is the best ACW battlefield level game I've played. Only that old dos strategic level game is comparable for best game full stop. That says a lot because I thought SM's Gettysburg was outstanding and I've got all the Talonsoft. It's an absolute arse that Bullrun isn't available any more.

Llyranor

Liturgist
They have at least 2 ACW games 'planned' before they really consider tackling Napoleonic warfare. Shiloh is expected at the end of the year, with a full-fledged campaign. The one after that is planned to come with multiplayer, though I forgot which battle.

I'm hoping HistWar - Les Grognards turns out good. Sounds quite ambitious as a Napoleonic game, and seems to share similarities with Take Command.

Naked_Lunch

Erudite
I must say, even though I MADE THE EMAIL, CONTACTED NORB, BUILT THE SPITALFIELDS CHURCH AND CRAWLED OVER A DESERT OF SHRAPNEL AND BONES AND POSTED THE ARTICLE I was quite suprised, pleasantly suprised even. Hope to hear more from these talented fellows.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom