Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Gothic 3 interview

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Tags: Gothic III; Piranha Bytes

Here is the <a href=http://www.rpgcodex.com/content.php?id=132>second part</a> of our <a href=http://www.rpgcodex.com/content.php?id=131>Gothic 3 interview</a> with Kai Rosenkranz.
<br>
Since DarkUnderlord is nowhere to be found, I'll post the interview in the news post for now:
<br>
<br>
<blockquote><b>5. The skills have been replaced with "huge amount" of mini-talents that we can use to form our own talents, whatever that means. How does that work? Can you give us some examples? Also, why mini-talents instead of more traditional skills? What's the advantage?</b>
<br>
<br>
As gets obvious in the answers above, freedom of action is one of the key-features in all the Gothic games. Yet, concerning the skills, the only freedom the game player had so far was to pick a handful of them and make their numerical value rise to 100% (or higher). The freedom in Gothic 3 goes far beyond that point. In order to achieve a greater diversity, we have introduced the mini-talents, so-called perks. Instead of watching a number rise with each invested learning point, the player can actually decide upon what exactly he wants to learn. One-handed sword fighting is the basic perk he needs to be able to carry a sword without killing himself by mistake. This talent can then be upgraded with perks like quick attack, extra-damage against Orcs, power attack, two swords at once, pierce attack, agile movement, etc.! The chosen combination of perks forms the individual fighting style. As you can see, it all boils down to the term freedom. Funny enough, freedom is not a pervasive element in the game's postwar story.
<br>
<br>
<b>6. In the first game you were one of the prisoners, in the second game your role drifted more toward being "The Chosen One", how would the third game handle it? Should I expect to save the world all by my lonely self or is the influence of my character on the gameworld less important this time?</b>
<br>
<br>
Actually, the drift towards the chosen One started in Gothic 1 when the nameless hero became "He who defeated the sleeper", an honour which was left to the One according to Orcish prophecies. Apart from some dialogue lines and a dramatic showdown, we didn't quite pick that theme up again in Gothic 2. We liked the idea that the hero's supernatural qualities are subtle story elements that never really break through to the surface. The game player has as slight notion that there's something big-time going on while he's dealing with rather secular things such as a kingdom shattered by way. In Gothic 3, the focus is on the latter. Even though the nameless hero is a central character which in the end makes the story roll on, the world lives (or dies, rather) without him and even without any noticeable presence of the Gods.
<br>
<br>
In every respect Gothic 3 is not a one-man-show. Finding fellow combatants and forming temporary parties is a gameplay element we put more emphasis on, mainly because we wanted to feature the friends of the nameless hero.
<br>
<br>
<b>8. It's been mentioned that Gothic 3 is very non-linear. Considering the story-driven nature of the first two games, how does that concept work in Gothic 3?</b>
<br>
<br>
Blending the story-driven nature of the series with a non-linear gameplay is a challenge indeed. Our first attempts in Gothic 1 & 2 already provided three different paths with special quests for each character class. In Gothic 3, we're taking this to the next level. The nameless hero can tackle most of the quests out of sequence and the world reacts to it, but still the game has a certain logical chronology. Figuratively speaking, in theory the game player can walk straight to the big red button which ends the game. Question is, where is this button? To find it, the hero needs one of the magic red-button-seeking-gizmos. To get a gizmo, he has to talk to someone who... and so on. This leads to a natural sequence of events, admittedly a linear development of the story, but it won't seem artificial for the player after all. Apart from this central thread, there are many side-stories and smaller quests which are absolutely non-linear.
<br>
<br>
<b>9. Tell us about factions. It's been mentioned that you can join more than one faction, and that you can leave a faction. Can you explain how that works? Also, why did you decide to move away from the "join one faction and stick with it" model? Any Orcish factions/clans?</b>
<br>
<br>
We have increased the degree of freedom in most aspects of the game. To create a coherent gameplay, the guild-concept needed a little more freedom, too. The general idea is to turn limits into options. In the predecessors, joining a guild meant being forced into only one third of the game. So in fact one would have to play the game at least three times to get the big picture. In Gothic 3, the hero can pick out the plum jobs and sympathize with more than one guild, or with none. Whether or not a guild offers him a quest does no longer depend on his affiliation to the guild, but on its attitude towards the player.
<br>
<br>
<b>10. It seems to me that many features are being tweaked and improved. What about dialogues? Is there any room for diplomatic skills in the Gothic world?</b>
<br>
<br>
Diplomacy is always an option if violence failed. No, just kidding. Other RPGs add new dialogue options such as "I don't want to kill you. I'll give you 100 gold pieces if you kill yourself instead (smile convincingly)" on condition that your charisma value is above 50 percent and you have learned the talkativeness skill. We don't have something like that, we just add the diplomatic dialogue options right from the beginning. The nameless hero has an innate sense of diplomacy, so to speak.
<br>
<br>
<b>11. When diplomacy fails, combat prevails. Any changes to the combat system? Is there any reason, other than cosmetic, to choose an axe instead of a sword, for example? </b>
<br>
<br>
Yes, the combat system has been redesigned. We wanted it to be easily accessible and versatile at the same time, and judging by the first reactions from test players, it turned out well. Since the new interface somewhat differs from Gothic 2, we were worried about if we had in a way neglected the strong points of the original combat system. Fortunately, our test players reinforced our confidence in the new design with statements like "To hell with Gothic 2, this rocks!"
<br>
<br>
Axe and sword have always been different in terms of the damage they cause and the possibility to parry a strike. In Gothic 3 there is another significant difference: You can fight with two swords simultaneously, but you can't do that with two axes. On the other hand an axe has some fancy moves like a sweeping attack against encircling enemies.
<br>
<br>
<b>12. Any chance of seeing multiple quests solutions? What's Piranha Bytes' position on that design element?</b>
<br>
<br>
Did I mention we have put great emphasis on the freedom of action? ;) Of course, this applies for quests in particular. All that matters is the result, and if all the necessary conditions are fulfilled, the quest will be considered successful regardless of how it has been achieved.</blockquote>There you go, folks.
<br>

Lemon

Arcane
Really good questions but plaudits for Kai, direct informative answers.

Deacdo

Liturgist
The new skill system sounds better than the last one (but then, what doesn't?), but I think I'd prefer a mix of abilities/skills/perks like in Fallout. That said, for an action-orientated combat system, what they have in mind for G3 may actually be a bit better. We'll see. Whatever the case, I hope character development isn't as useless as it was in G2.

Kendar

Novice
One-handed sword fighting is the basic perk he needs to be able to carry a sword without killing himself by mistake.
Is he joking or is it for real ? I would really like to see such things, even if it is a very dispensable detail.
Apart from this central thread, there are many side-stories and smaller quests which are absolutely non-linear.
I guess he meant "facultative".
Figuratively speaking, in theory the game player can walk straight to the big red button which ends the game. Question is, where is this button ?
That part is great. I just hope the game won't be finishable in two minutes the second time we play it. But wait, why play it again ? I am wondering, because :
In the predecessors, joining a guild meant being forced into only one third of the game. So in fact one would have to play the game at least three times to get the big picture.
Damn holy crap. Here we are. I was wondering when I would see that. Why consider it like a flaw ? I fear the worst.
we just add the diplomatic dialogue options right from the beginning
Great.
In Gothic 3 there is another significant difference: You can fight with two swords simultaneously, but you can't do that with two axes. On the other hand an axe has some fancy moves like a sweeping attack against encircling enemies.
Good.
12. Any chance of seeing multiple quests solutions? What's Piranha Bytes position on that design element that we haven't seen in the first two games ?
Did I mention we have put great emphasis on the freedom of action? Of course, this applies for quests in particular. All that matters is the result, and if all the necessary conditions are fulfilled, the quest will be considered successful regardless of how it has been achieved.
There is a difference between what the question (apparently) meant, and what he answered. What I see here is severall paths wich won't change the solution. Ok, it is already good, but I hope it will not end up wich a missed opportunity.

Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming!
Ok the guild thing is just stupid. The concept of replayability actually means that you can only see a part of the game and the options it has to offer during a single playtrough.
If you can have it all at once, why replaying it?
Sound they have been infected by Oblivionitis...
I hope this concept won't affect into other parts of the gameplay.

Rest of the answers seem good, but that part about the guilds...it just sucks plain and simple.

Fuck.

Jora

Arcane
Kendar said:
That part is great. I just hope the game won't be finishable in two minutes the second time we play it.
But didn't he basically say that even though the story has potential to be very non-linear like Fallout or TToEE, they chose the more linear Arcanum way, where you could go to the stone ring to get teleported to the Void very early in the game but couldn't teleport because you need to find the way to do that first.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Kendar said:
One-handed sword fighting is the basic perk he needs to be able to carry a sword without killing himself by mistake.
Is he joking or is it for real ? I would really like to see such things, even if it is a very dispensable detail.
Similar to One-Handed / Two-Handed skills in the previous Gothic games, I assume.

Damn holy crap. Here we are. I was wondering when I would see that. Why consider it like a flaw ? I fear the worst.
Too early to tell for sure. There is no danger in joining all guilds. It only becomes a problem when you can raise in each guild all the way to the top unobstructed.

If you noticed, he said that quests aren't given automatically (like in Oblivion), but based on the guild's attitude towards you. If done right, it could be a great feature. Otherwise...

Did I mention we have put great emphasis on the freedom of action? Of course, this applies for quests in particular. All that matters is the result, and if all the necessary conditions are fulfilled, the quest will be considered successful regardless of how it has been achieved.
There is a difference between what the question (apparently) meant, and what he answered. What I see here is severall paths wich won't change the solution. Ok, it is already good, but I hope it will not end up wich a missed opportunity.
Actually, he meant multiple solutions. The goal is the same, but there are different ways to achieve it.

Jung

Liturgist
The seamy underbelly of your seamy underbelly
Kendar wrote:
Quote:

Similar to One-Handed / Two-Handed skills in the previous Gothic games, I assume.

I think he meant that you might kill yoursef without the right skillz.

Kendar

Novice
Actually, he meant multiple solutions. The goal is the same, but there are different ways to achieve it.
I should have said "ending". If I can sneak past someone, kill him, force him to go elsewhere, stuff like that, that's great, I have severall possibilities, but if all of it is in order to do the only one ending (for example killing his boss), then it is a waste. but knowing Gothic, in that example, the guy could be usefull later or stuff like that. This passage is not the worst. It is even very good.

For the guild part, I guess I can just worry until the game is out. They apparently don't like the fact that we can only see " a third of the game". That could mean a lot, including that seeing the same things under different angles is preferable (not that bad), but also that seeing everything (possibly hiding behind a "but it will be HARD !"). That could mean a very large amount of things, and after severall years spent waiting for upcoming ub4r game, fearing the worst is something I am overtrained to.

Really ? I never ran into such things.

Fresh

Erudite
Good interview, thanks.

Part of me want to read everything about the game, part of me want to crawl under a rock until the game's out to avoid spoilers as much as possible. That includes discussions about the game mechanics.

Naked_Lunch

Erudite
Any chance of seeing multiple quests solutions? What's Piranha Bytes position on that design element that we haven't seen in the first two games?
I'm positive that Gothic 2 had many quests you could solve in different ways. There were 4 (5?) different ways to enter Khorinis, for example.

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Kendar said:
Really ? I never ran into such things.
You what? :?

I am somewhat surprised by what he said about basic sword fighting. They repeatedly said the Nameless Hero would be better trained in the beginning than in the previous games. I'd assume that would include basic sword and axe training.

The guild thing is slightly worrying, but mostly the interview was positive. I feel there isn't so much truly new information, but I like the info about perks - the " more damage to orks" perk is another negative point, I hated it since I first heard about it. His explanations regarding the central plot make it sound Fallout-like to me, which would be awesome.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Claw said:
I am somewhat surprised by what he said about basic sword fighting. They repeatedly said the Nameless Hero would be better trained in the beginning than in the previous games. I'd assume that would include basic sword and axe training.
I agree, that's damn strange.

Anyway, it's good to see RPGCodex have more and more quality content. Good job!

Jason

chasing a bee
Agreed. VD and DU have been kicking ass in the inteview department for the past few months.

"Since DarkUnderlord is nowhere to be found, I'll post the interview in the news post for now"
Isn't there a "submit new content" or "create new content" option in the admin panel?

edit: nevermind. I just realized you already submitted it, but are waiting for someone else to approve it.

7th Circle

Scholar
Elwro said:
Claw said:

I haven't played any of the Gothics so maybe I'm confused but wouldn't it simply be a matter of giving you a bunch of mini-talents from which to create your starting character?

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
The whole point of the minitalents is that the player chan choose individual abilities. What's the point of a minitalent you start with by default then?

Unless experience is talent-based, and you only get "sword-fighting" experience for killing enemies with a sword, I don't see the point.

Dhruin

Liturgist
7th Circle said:
Elwro said:
Claw said:

I haven't played any of the Gothics so maybe I'm confused but wouldn't it simply be a matter of giving you a bunch of mini-talents from which to create your starting character?

There has never been any character creation in the Gothics - you play the Nameless One. Gothic 3 is the same - we just don't know what skills the character starts with.

Twinfalls

Erudite
Everything he says is magnificent, except:

In the predecessors, joining a guild meant being forced into only one third of the game. So in fact one would have to play the game at least three times to get the big picture. In Gothic 3, the hero can pick out the plum jobs and sympathize with more than one guild, or with none. Whether or not a guild offers him a quest does no longer depend on his affiliation to the guild, but on its attitude towards the player.

Fucking shit fucking fuck shit fuck.

Yes VD, it is too early to tell, and (we hope to Innos) you cant rise to the top of all Guilds simultaneously.

But what's concerning is the attitude here. It sounds worryingly like 'Oblivionitis', as Kendar put it.

Its not so much how its implemented, its the idea that making a decision that means you miss out on a path of the game is somehow 'bad'.

This is the most pernicious, evil, mischief wrought on the RPG scene by Bethesda and its gang of little fanboys like Rendelius. Nothing, nothing, can replicate or 'fake' that frisson you get when you know that you must choose a path to go down, and you can't undo it, and you will miss doing and seeing stuff as a consequence (and you have a reason to play through the game again!) The fact that developers like MSFD fail to appreciate this was bad enough, but its even worse to see the nihilistic 'you can do everything' philosophy seemingly being embraced by Piranha Bytes.

These guys at least will get the benefit of the doubt however.

One Wolf

Scholar
great interview, and you arent even being paid. yet.

i'm a bit surprised no one has raised an alarm about the "natural diplomatic ability" of the nameless hero. kinda hints at a continuation of the prequel's stance towards speechcraft, no?

7th Circle

Scholar
Claw said:
The whole point of the minitalents is that the player chan choose individual abilities. What's the point of a minitalent you start with by default then?

I meant something like choosing starting Weapon Profencies (e.g., in DnD) but based on what Dhurin said that wouldn't fit the Gothic universe.

Dhurin said:
There has never been any character creation in the Gothics - you play the Nameless One. Gothic 3 is the same - we just don't know what skills the character starts with.

Atrokkus

Erudite
Great interview, VD, you are der Mann!
I was kind of disgruntled with some facts that emerged at E3, but now I'm once again looking forward to this game!

"Since DarkUnderlord is nowhere to be found, I'll post the interview in the news post for now"
Isn't there a "submit new content" or "create new content" option in the admin panel?
You should try to adopt our Rpgpllanet.ru's system of article items being generated out of threads in, repectfully, article and news section of the forum. Extremely effective, doesn't require any administrative rights to post articles.
I guess TCancer has a similar routine, right, Baby arm?

Hazelnut

Erudite
Kendar said:
In the predecessors, joining a guild meant being forced into only one third of the game. So in fact one would have to play the game at least three times to get the big picture.

Did you read this or had the warning sirens already gone off by then? :lol:

Whether or not a guild offers him a quest does no longer depend on his affiliation to the guild, but on its attitude towards the player.

As long as they do this well, then there should be no problem. In fact it should add an extra dimension to the game - which is fine balancing of the factions if you're careful and decide that you don't want to just join and run with one. Nothing wrong with this in principle IMO, but obviously should only be taken so far..

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom